Rumor: Apple TV to get multi-user support, picture-in-picture with 'tvOS 11'

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited April 2017
With "tvOS 11" -- likely to be announced at Apple's Worldwide Developers Conference in June -- the Apple TV will allegedly gain a pair of demanded features from the company's other platforms.

Mockup by The Verifier
Mockup by The Verifier

Multi-user support will tailor onscreen content to the active profile/Apple ID, Israeli site The Verifier said on Sunday, citing a "reliable source." People should not only see their personal Apple Music, iCloud, and iTunes content, but also their own apps.

Connecting profiles to a TV is expected to be a one-time affair, with switching between them as simple as changing channels. Work on the technology is described as being in the advanced stages, but integration could potentially be delayed until a later point release.

To date, only Macs have offered multiple user accounts for everyone. iPads technically support it, but only in classroom settings.

Mockup by The Verifier
Mockup by The Verifier

The other new tvOS feature, picture-in-picture, may borrow from both Macs and iPads, letting people watch a stream in a corner window while browsing the homescreen or another app.

The Verifier also supported rumors that Apple will eventually incorporate a live programming guide, and offer some form of subscription TV content through partnerships.

The site is still an unknown quantity in Apple news, having made a number of claims that will take time to back up. It has argued for example that "iOS 11" will offer group video calls in FaceTime, and deeper Siri integration in iMessage and iCloud. One unlikely suggestion is that the "iPhone 8" will have an iPad-style Smart Connector.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 29
    irnchrizirnchriz Posts: 1,617member
    That would certainly make it quicker to switch between iTunes accounts than the current method of going into settings and switching between the list of added accounts. 
    Rayz2016jbdragondoozydozen
  • Reply 2 of 29
    revenantrevenant Posts: 621member
    cool, then put that into iOS for iPad please!
    jbdragonlibertyforalldoozydozen
  • Reply 3 of 29
    Is anybody even asking for multi-user support on Apple TV?
    Been waiting for multi-user support on iPad for 7 years.
    jbdragonlibertyforall
  • Reply 4 of 29
    That makes a lot of sense.

All iOS devices including AppleTV will now have a much more advanced and secure file system called APFS.
    I imagine it will facilitate a lot of cool stuff that could not be done before and leave the competion in the dust.

watto_cobra
  • Reply 5 of 29
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    PiP in Apple's systems needs a timeline.
  • Reply 6 of 29
    macxpressmacxpress Posts: 5,808member
    revenant said:
    cool, then put that into iOS for iPad please!
    You can already do this on the education side. I'm sure its coming down the road. The educational portion requires an iPad Air (maybe Air 2) with at least 32GB of storage. So anything less than this won't work. Don't expect this to work on something like your 16GB iPad 4.
  • Reply 7 of 29
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    fishbert said:
    I'd say any Netflix user used to it would be, it's wonderful IMHO.  Amazon Prime TV are you listening?
    edited April 2017 mike1libertyforall
  • Reply 8 of 29
    The implementation of two-step authentication for AppleTV is currently a mess. Please fix that first, Apple!
    techprod1gydoozydozentechno
  • Reply 9 of 29
    spice-boyspice-boy Posts: 1,450member
    I can imagine multi-user accounts would be great for some people although I would not really need it. I still hold out hope that Apple will sooner rather than later bring live TV bundles or a la carte to Apple TV. The day they do I can get rid of the 100 plus channels I don't watch and must pay for. 
    eidearddoozydozen
  • Reply 10 of 29
    Rayz2016Rayz2016 Posts: 6,957member
    fishbert said:

Yes, I have. 

I could be wrong, but I think multi-user support is more important on the AppleTV. I reckon most iPads are used by a single person, while most AppleTVs sit under the family TV set. 

Actually I'm pretty sure I'm right. 
    doozydozen
  • Reply 11 of 29
    wigbywigby Posts: 692member
    spice-boy said:
    I can imagine multi-user accounts would be great for some people although I would not really need it. I still hold out hope that Apple will sooner rather than later bring live TV bundles or a la carte to Apple TV. The day they do I can get rid of the 100 plus channels I don't watch and must pay for. 
    You know you can cancel your cable subscription now and start saving. I did that and subscribe to Hulu, HBO, Netflix and Amazon Prime. It's 1/2 price of my old cable bill and the content is better (I actually watch less than I did before but quality of programming is much better than anything on network TV or basic cable).
    doozydozen
  • Reply 12 of 29
    After years of owning AppleTVs I am still frustrated by the friction in switching from one "channel" to another. AppleTV is great for long-lasting sessions such as watching Netflix or streaming movies off my media server but trying to bounce back and forth from live streams on CNN to MSNBC to NBC is an exercise in frustration. You would think that Apple could come up with some "favorites" mechanism that could go directly from one favorite stream to another instead of my having to continuously navigate through each channel's menutree as I switch from one to another.

I won't even dwell on the propensity of each App/channel to forget that I'm signed in and require me to re-authenticate yet again with my service provider.

It seems that Apple still is not applying "it just works" type product improvements to AppleTV.
    edited April 2017 doozydozen
  • Reply 13 of 29
    rfrmacrfrmac Posts: 89member
    Still waiting to gain TV App access to all of my movies in the Computer section, not to mention using Siri. May wait till the end of time for this one. The movies are in iTunes, you can get them under Computer in Apple TV but Apple can't seem to bring all this together as this would make too much sense.
    libertyforall
  • Reply 14 of 29
    brucemcbrucemc Posts: 1,541member
    spice-boy said:
    Apple offers a la carte TV today - you can purchase many TV shows or entire seasons. Just want to watch Game of Thrones, no problem.  Just pay for exactly the content you want. 

Now, most don't like the price, and would prefer a rental option. This something I think Apple should try again (as it is the studios that were against it prior).  Perhaps combining with an iTunes subscription.  I have posted about that a few times. 
  • Reply 15 of 29
    SoliSoli Posts: 10,035member
    While unlikely, Touch ID on the Apple Remote would be great for switching users with ease. It's, at least, finally possible with the T-series chip running a forked version of watchOS, which was just speculation on how Apple could accomplish this when proposed many years ago.
  • Reply 16 of 29
    sog35 said:
    The implementation of two-step authentication for AppleTV is currently a mess. Please fix that first, Apple!
    I agree.

2-step is such a pain in the ASS.  So much so I turned it off.

I'd rather take some additional risk then having to put up with that horrible 2-step security that Apple has
    Two factor authentication is fine. It is required if you want to use Home Kit devices with AppleTV.. It is called two factor authentication for a reason. Don't expect it to be reduced to one factor.
    edited April 2017
  • Reply 17 of 29
    SoliSoli Posts: 10,035member
    sog35 said:
    sog35 said:
    I agree.

2-step is such a pain in the ASS.  So much so I turned it off.

I'd rather take some additional risk then having to put up with that horrible 2-step security that Apple has
    Two factor authentication is fine. It is required if you want to use Home Kit devices with AppleTV.. It is called two factor authentication for a reason. Don't expect it to be reduced to one factor.
    which i understand.

but its ridiculous it asks me to enter a PIN every time I use my AppleTV.  2-factor should be smart enough to know my AppleTV didn't move since the last time I enter the PIN (on the same Wifi network) so it should not ask for a pin again.
    Huh? What do you mean ask for a PIN every time you use your Apple TV? The only time I had this happen was with a bug in a previous version of tvOS when I used AirPlay to comment my Mac to the TV, but that's not 2FA, and I've never had to verify my login after putting it into the Apple TV.
  • Reply 18 of 29
    spacekidspacekid Posts: 183member
    I wish they'd make a better remote. Don't use my Apple TV much but tried last night. Would touch the track pad section when picking it up, causing some unintended action. To backup slightly, I have to press the right way to do that. Very unfriendly.
    libertyforall
  • Reply 19 of 29
    eightzeroeightzero Posts: 3,063member
    fishbert said:
    I can see households with kids and many users wanting this. Just because I have no use for it doesn't imply it isn't desirable by others. 

As to multiusers of iPads: the predictable and obvious result is...you sell fewer iPads. I'll bet Tim and Company are really pushing that.

The PIP thingy will need a lot of improvement over what is proposed. One of the things I really like about the FoxSportsGo app is the multiscreen function. You can put up to 4 games on the screen. But of course...it is only those games available on FoxSports at the time. I have to leave the app to go look at ESPN. So...unless this solves the issue, it seem of very limited value to me.

It *is* a huge enticement to the OTA HDHomeRun and Channels set up. But...if I really wanted PIP OTA, I'd just buy a HDTV with that function. Now I think about it - does anyone know if there are any "smart" HDTV models that have an OTA user guide? You know - the scrolling TV channel thingy with "whats on?" status like the usury cable bastards have?

• Reply 20 of 29
    jbdragonjbdragon Posts: 2,311member
    MacPro said:
    fishbert said:
    I'd say any Netflix user used to it would be, it's wonderful IMHO.  Amazon Prime TV are you listening?
    PLEX does this, which I'm using just about daily. I have mine, along with ones setup for others, and even a friend who can stream my PLEX content at their house. So content I watch is marked as Watched as for them it's still Unwashed. Stuff I only watched a part of, will show up on the main page, while for others, it's not there. So on and So on.