Apple's GarageBand, iMovie, Keynote, Numbers, Pages now free for all iOS & macOS users

13»

Comments

• Reply 41 of 54
    tzeshantzeshan Posts: 2,351member
    Rayz2016 said:
    I would like to use Pages to write books, but they removed support for facing pages. I still use it for short projects, but once I get past four pages I reach for Mellel. 
    Oh, right, does iBooks Author support footnotes yet? Or, you know, has it received any updates of any sort in the last few YEARS? I really wanted it to be good, but…
    The newest version support bookmarks.  Is it an equivalent of footnote?  I don't know. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 42 of 54
    sphericspheric Posts: 2,560member
    No.
    ai46
  • Reply 42 of 54
    boredumbboredumb Posts: 1,418member
    Just another little reason why Apple products aren't quite as much more expensive as the competition & their adherents like to proclaim...
    macxpresstallest skiljony0watto_cobra
  • Reply 44 of 54
    macxpressmacxpress Posts: 5,808member
    These apps are free on the VPP store too for anyone that happened to be wondering in the Education and Business world. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 45 of 54
    linkmanlinkman Posts: 1,035member
    joe28753 said:
    As the Apple fanboy I am, I keep trying to use Numbers or Pages, but they always feel like child's toys not meant for real work. If I'm at work, I would probably be using Office, and if I don't have that or want a free option, I'd use Google Docs, for more easily sharing and collaborating with all the other people who use Google Docs and Office. Does anyone actually use these iWork apps?
    When I use MS Word I'm struck with the difficulty of accomplishing some tasks, especially getting text to properly wrap around pictures and similar inserted blocks. I actually find that task super-difficult/non-intuitive in Word but in Pages it's soooooo easy. I'll use the advanced features that are present in Word but missing from Pages about .02% of the time I deal with editing a document. Numbers is nicely coded but missing a few features I absolutely must have and are in Excel.
    jony0
  • Reply 46 of 54
    joe28753 said:
    As the Apple fanboy I am, I keep trying to use Numbers or Pages, but they always feel like child's toys not meant for real work. If I'm at work, I would probably be using Office, and if I don't have that or want a free option, I'd use Google Docs, for more easily sharing and collaborating with all the other people who use Google Docs and Office. Does anyone actually use these iWork apps?
    My daughter was student manager/co-editor of her yearbook class in high school a few years back. They used Pages to create their yearbook. This was not a small school either (~1,500 students). Granted, yearbooks are not necessarily professional productions, but I think they did a really good job of it.

I myself am fairly comfortable with and regularly use MS Word, but Pages is not a toy. Now that I have figured out Word's Style Sheets, automatic TOC, overall formatting techniques, etc., it's just hard to let go. Also, I don't have to worry about 100% formatting compatibility when distributing to the many other Word users in the corporate world out there. I do like Pages, Keynote and Numbers. I do some work with Pages, and I can see doing more in the future. I use Keynote almost exclusively over PowerPoint. The only time I use Numbers is when doing real time iCloud collaboration with the boss and other users (the web version works pretty well for simple stuff, and it allows non-Numbers users to participate), but I definitely prefer Excel. Perhaps this is simply due to my familiarity with it (I guess anything is easy to use once you figure it out!), but from what I can tell, Numbers is by no means a toy either. Judging by what most of my co-workers do with Excel, I would say that Numbers would be more than enough for their needs.
    edited April 2017
  • Reply 47 of 54

I miss the good old days when software was available in boxes. In fact, I was really tempted to buy a MobileMe subscription simply so that I had another white box lined up next to my Apple boxes.

Good sense prevailed and I didn't subscribe to it.

Having said that, I do have the little iWork box and while the software in it is outdated, it really is cool.

Packaging is becoming a lost art now. I remember how elaborate the iPod Third Generation box was. And it had a remote, a dock and a case with a belt clip.

What exactly am I ranting about? No idea.

Oh yeah, I have a subscription to Office 365 but that is only for compatibility with other people I interact with. All my personal documents are Numbers & Pages.

tallest skilwatto_cobra
  • Reply 48 of 54
    This is a very great news. 
    iMovie,GarageBand,Numbers,Keynote and Pages are now made free for everyone by Apple.
    Apple should also make Final Cut Pro X and Motion for free to everyone. Even that will be great.
  • Reply 49 of 54
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    Rayz2016 said:
    I would like to use Pages to write books, but they removed support for facing pages. I still use it for short projects, but once I get past four pages I reach for Mellel. 
    Oh, right, does iBooks Author support footnotes yet? Or, you know, has it received any updates of any sort in the last few YEARS? I really wanted it to be good, but…
     Oh right ...    I got it immediately, played with it and then forgot I had it!  I must dig it out and see if it's changed at all.
  • Reply 50 of 54

MacPro said:
    sumergo said:
    macxpress said:
    lmac said:
    I have an 8 core 2.8 Ghz Xeon processor Mac Pro with 32 GB RAM, but Apple says I can't run 10.12, so I can't run any of the current versions of iWork apps.
    Apple has to draw a line in the sand somewhere...sorry! I'll be in the same boat soon I bet. I have a last gen tower Mid-2012 Mac Pro. 
    Sorry guys, but I must have missed something - you can't run Sierra on that hardware?

I'm running 10.12.4 (and Pages/Numbers/Keynote) on a mid-2010 17 inch MacBook Pro with a two-core 2.66 i7 & 8 GB - I just loaded it up and it worked.

;-(
    I agree with you, I have a mid 2010 MBP i7 15" I use occasionally and it runs the latest macOS, in fact even the developer betas, no problem.  Maybe the i7 has something to do with this? 
    Sierra officially left behind the 4,1 Mac Pro tower. Obviously, there are work-arounds, not the least of which is flashing the firmware so it pretends that it's a 5,1 -- but officially, it's gone.
    Wow, that is amazing to learn.  Thanks for the clarification.  My last cheese grater was sold a while back so I had no way of testing.  I had to let it go the house was sinking.  ;)
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 51 of 54

sumergo said:
    tryd said:
    sumergo said:
    macxpress said:
    lmac said:
    I have an 8 core 2.8 Ghz Xeon processor Mac Pro with 32 GB RAM, but Apple says I can't run 10.12, so I can't run any of the current versions of iWork apps.
    Apple has to draw a line in the sand somewhere...sorry! I'll be in the same boat soon I bet. I have a last gen tower Mid-2012 Mac Pro. 
    Sorry guys, but I must have missed something - you can't run Sierra on that hardware?

I'm running 10.12.4 (and Pages/Numbers/Keynote) on a mid-2010 17 inch MacBook Pro with a two-core 2.66 i7 & 8 GB - I just loaded it up and it worked.

;-(
    Of course he can run Sierra on that hardware. He says "I'll be in the same boat soon I bet". Which means, to my maybe limited understanding of English, that in a couple of years his hardware will not be able to run the latest system. He'll be fine until 10.14 and maybe 10.15, but at some point his hardware will not be supported. My 2008 MacPro does not run Sierra. His 2012 Mac Pro will probably not be able to run 10.15 (or 10.16 or...)
    Thanks for the English Lesson.

I was addressing LMAC's original point (I have an 8 core 2.8 Ghz Xeon processor Mac Pro with 32 GB RAM, but Apple says I can't run 10.12, so I can't run any of the current versions of iWork apps) while alluding to the fact that macxpress felt that their time would run out soon on a 2012 model.  All this in the context of my geriatric 2010 MBP which runs the latest OS and apps without missing a beat.

The conundrum we are discussing here is why can some hardware configs can run the latest MacOS & apps while others cannot.

Your English is excellent.  ;)  It is fascinating which Macs fall of the edge isn't it?  It seems the Mac Pro 4,1 used a Intel Xeon (Nehalem) 2009 a year older than our venerable i7 MBPs.  So I guess we may be on thin ice with them as macOS goes forward!  So far, as I mentioned, I always throw the latest developer betas on to my MBP as well as a 2013 6 core Mac Pro cylinder more out of curiosity than anything, to see at what point the dreaded , 'sorry your Mac is too old' appears.  I've ripped out the DVD unit and put in a  500 GB SSD, I can't upgrade the RAM beyond 8 GB but it runs like a champ.  It's telling me I have another developer macOS update awaiting installation as I type but here are its specs at present.  It has certainly earned its keep for the last 7 years!  I see the NVIDIA GeForce GT 330M isn't mentioned here.  I wonder if it has turned its toes to heaven as third party GPUs are wont to do in old MBPs.  I tried attaching an external monitor with no success.

• Reply 52 of 54
    EsquireCatsEsquireCats Posts: 1,268member
    To answer an earlier question: I use the suite for professional use. Keynote is a stand out here, it now exports to various web platforms while keeping effects intact (effectively making it a wysiwyg web development tool), plus the new photoshop-like layers makes it trivial to work with complex slides. When it comes to presenting I find it super easy to plug in a dongle to my iPhone's lightning port and present keynotes straight from my phone (while my windows compatriots still can't get their VGA ports to work consistently.) I also appreciate being able to output PDFs with a built-in weblink to the online version so the client can always get the latest version of a document.

In comparison using word and powerpoint always feels like I'm fighting the application to get it to do what I want. PowerPoint in particular is a total clusterfuck that needs to be burnt to the ground - it will have me shouting at the display in frustration. I am confident no one at microsoft actually presents with native powerpoint slides. The app is so limited that I could go on for days about its inadequacies. 

As for numbers, I still find excel easier to use, but that is mostly to do with data and formula entry approaches that I'm accustomed to, numbers is definitely a much faster application however, and I frequently bring excel sheets over to do mass-manipulations.

As a side note, with 32-bit apps no longer being supported this announcement is moot for iOS, since any hardware that can run 64 bit apps is already entitled to the free versions.
    TomSawyerwatto_cobra
  • Reply 53 of 54
    To answer an earlier question: I use the suite for professional use. Keynote is a stand out here, it now exports to various web platforms while keeping effects intact (effectively making it a wysiwyg web development tool), plus the new photoshop-like layers makes it trivial to work with complex slides. When it comes to presenting I find it super easy to plug in a dongle to my iPhone's lightning port and present keynotes straight from my phone (while my windows compatriots still can't get their VGA ports to work consistently.) I also appreciate being able to output PDFs with a built-in weblink to the online version so the client can always get the latest version of a document.

In comparison using word and powerpoint always feels like I'm fighting the application to get it to do what I want. PowerPoint in particular is a total clusterfuck that needs to be burnt to the ground - it will have me shouting at the display in frustration. I am confident no one at microsoft actually presents with native powerpoint slides. The app is so limited that I could go on for days about its inadequacies. 

As for numbers, I still find excel easier to use, but that is mostly to do with data and formula entry approaches that I'm accustomed to, numbers is definitely a much faster application however, and I frequently bring excel sheets over to do mass-manipulations.

As a side note, with 32-bit apps no longer being supported this announcement is moot for iOS, since any hardware that can run 64 bit apps is already entitled to the free versions.
    I hear you on the 'what you are used to'.  I took a while to get into Mulitiplan later renamed Excel after years of VisiCalc.  I find Numbers a weird mix of too easy and too complicated which I completely attribute to my own lack of practice with it.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 54 of 54
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,322moderator
    Just for fun...

The Apple Ringtone Ragtime:
    This one's good:

https://www.forbes.com/sites/quora/2013/04/30/whats-the-story-behind-the-iphones-default-marimba-ringtone/

Thankfully we don't hear this any more:

The above article points out the ability to generate the iPhone ringtone is built into Garageband. Sometimes Apple puts a lot of effort and thought into their software packages. They commissioned Hans Zimmer and the London Philharmonic Orchestra to do some of the iMovie template audio.

Making all the apps free is really helpful because it means that Mac users can happily use better software like Keynote without having to worry that another Mac user doesn't have it but instead uses Office. They can just download it from the App Store when needed. It won't end the frequent need to open and edit Microsoft's document formats unfortunately but the more opportunities to escape from it the better.