Samsung's Galaxy Note 8 to feature dual camera array ala iPhone 7 Plus

Posted:
in General Discussion
Looking to recover from last year's exploding Note 7 fiasco, Samsung is expected to launch its first ever dual camera handset in the Note 8 later this year, according to a report from KGI analyst Ming-Chi Kuo.

Samsung Galaxy S8 promotional material.

In a note to investors released on Tuesday, and obtained by AppleInsider, Kuo said the iPhone 7 Plus inspired dual camera system will be the most important new feature for Samsung's Note 8.

While other smartphone manufacturers have in the past included two or more shooters in their respective high-end offerings, Apple's dual lens solution in iPhone 7 Plus garnered industry praise for its seamless integration and ability to achieve stunning images with relative ease.

Of note, iPhone 7 Plus introduced users to Portrait Mode. Built into Apple's first-party camera app, the feature leverages both wide angle and "telephoto" lenses, complex computer vision algorithms and depth mapping technology to naturally blur image backgrounds while keeping the subject in sharp focus. Officially considered beta software, the artificial depth of field effect is meant to mimic high-end DSLRs.

Whether Samsung intends to build similar functionality into its forthcoming phablet is unknown, but the hardware is expected to sport a 12-megapixel wide-angle CIS with dual photodiode technology, a 13-megapixel telephoto CIS and 3x optical zoom. Both sensor stacks will be backed by optical image stabilization and topped with six-element plastic lenses.

Kuo believes Samsung's camera package will be "much better" than the dual camera array found on iPhone 7 Plus, and could potentially match the performance of Apple's rumored "iPhone 8."

The Note 8 is also expected to include a 6.4-inch QHD+ OLED display with full-screen design, a Exynos 9 series (8895) processor and iris recognition.

Samsung was thought to be looking into Synaptics' optical fingerprint recognition solution for the Note 8, which would have allowed the company to build a reader directly into the front-facing display. As the technology remains immature, however, the firm has decided to integrate a standard fingerprint sensor into the handset's rear casing, much like the recently released Galaxy S8, Kuo says.

The analyst believes Samsung's full-screen design and back-mounted fingerprint sensor design will become mainstream form factor for high-end smartphones.

In a separate note released last week, Kuo reports market response to Samsung's Galaxy S8 and S8+ has been better than expected. The analyst initially issued a conservative assessment due to the handset's cumbersome fingerprint module placement, but consumer response to the large full-face "Infinity Screen" exceeded expectations.

For fiscal 2017, Kuo estimates Galaxy S8 series shipments at 50 to 55 million, and the Note 8 at 13 to 15 million units.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 48
    boredumbboredumb Posts: 1,418member
    AHA!!  I wondered where Apple copied it from!
    /s
    Still, I must admit that "Unbox your phone"  sounds better than "Extinguish your phone!!!"
    edited April 2017 caliSolicyberzombiemejsricwonkothesanewatto_cobra
  • Reply 2 of 48
    sflocalsflocal Posts: 6,092member
    Samsung's software engineers couldn't code their way out of a "Hello Program".  Whatever hardware they come up with, it still has to be coded and from what prior articles have been published about Samsung's horrible software coding, it WILL suck bad.

It's a shame that these "industry experts" never call out Samsung's dismal quality of just about everything.
    calivukasikaredgeminipaEsquireCatspscooter63watto_cobra
  • Reply 3 of 48
    calicali Posts: 3,494member
    Why am I seeing these articles about these iPhone knockoffs? Knock it off, AI.
    brakkenwatto_cobra
  • Reply 4 of 48
    k2kwk2kw Posts: 2,075member
    sflocal said:
    Samsung's software engineers couldn't code their way out of a "Hello Program".  Whatever hardware they come up with, it still has to be coded and from what prior articles have been published about Samsung's horrible software coding, it WILL suck bad.

It's a shame that these "industry experts" never call out Samsung's dismal quality of just about everything.
    Better very late and working than early and incomplete... if the have actually learned their lesson from the Note 7 fiasco.

It may seem surreal but there are actual note fans who love the HUGE screen and stylus.   One girl I know took over 6 weeks to get a new phone after I told her the were exploding.

Im a little shocked that they didn't go for 3 or 4 lenses on the camera unit... there is always next year.
    redgeminipa
  • Reply 5 of 48
    tzeshantzeshan Posts: 2,351member
    "In a separate note released last week, Kuo reports market response to Samsung's Galaxy S8 and S8+ has been better than expected."

What was the expectation?  The logic seems the expectation is always lower than the real response to start with. 
    brakkenwatto_cobra
  • Reply 6 of 48
    jbdragonjbdragon Posts: 2,305member
    I'm not one tiny bit surprised Samesung will copy Apple with the dual Camera's. They are 100% predicable. In the past it was used for basically doing 3D recording. So the camera's were basically the same, the lens were the same and so on. Apple didn't do that. The went another direction with the Dual camera's. That was with the Optical zoom ability. Also to get the Bokeh. These are things I don't know of any other Smartphone having done in the past with their dual camera's. Am I wrong? Apple is of course not even doing 3D that everyone in the past was doing. You see where 3D went, it died!! No one cares expect maybe in the Movie Theater. I'm going to assume Samesung won't being doing dual Camera's for 3D either, but will copy Apple exactly!!! Optical Zoom and the Bokeh Effect. That's what they do every single year. Apple releases a new iPhone, there's Samesung the following year copying the exact same thing. it's almost a clone. Like they just don't have a original idea of their own. I was surprised they didn't do it with their S series, other then they just didn't have enough time, or enough room in the phone for another Camera. Especially with the fingerprint scanner where it's located.
    vukasikamejsricsuddenly newtonbrucemcwatto_cobra
  • Reply 7 of 48
    SoliSoli Posts: 10,035member
    And there's a red tint to the display. At least it's not red because it's on fire.
    redgeminipawatto_cobra
  • Reply 8 of 48
    qwweraqwwera Posts: 281member
    I would consider this instead of the Galaxy 8 if I couldn't get an iPhone. Always admired the note line. The pencil support is huge for me. I'd love an iPhone Plus with pencil support.
    vukasika
  • Reply 9 of 48
    vukasikavukasika Posts: 102member
    qwwera said:
    I would consider this instead of the Galaxy 8 if I couldn't get an iPhone. Always admired the note line. The pencil support is huge for me. I'd love an iPhone Plus with pencil support.
    100% agreement.  When I have chosen non-iPhone options, it has typically been the Note series.  The battery fiasco is all that saved the iPhone 7plus from getting handed it's hat by the Note 7.  I got to play with one of those before the jihadi phone situation ignited.  The screen was better, it was lighter weight and had almost no-bezel at all. IF Apple wants to but a a few nails in Samsung's coffin, then it should get the iPhone plus line Pencil support.  
    qwwera
  • Reply 10 of 48
    StrangeDaysStrangeDays Posts: 12,844member
    vukasika said:
    qwwera said:
    The battery fiasco is all that saved the iPhone 7plus from getting handed it's hat by the Note 7. 
    Yeah not really. 
    suddenly newtonredgeminipaEsquireCatspscooter63brucemcwatto_cobra
  • Reply 11 of 48
    vukasika said:
    The battery fiasco is all that saved the iPhone 7plus from getting handed it's hat by the Note 7.
    There's always an impending [Apple product]-killer on the horizon and always a crotchety old man saying, "We would've gotten away with it, too, if it wasn't for those meddling kids."
    StrangeDaysbrucemcwatto_cobra
  • Reply 12 of 48
    mejsricmejsric Posts: 152member
    I was expecting them to copy it for S8. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 13 of 48
    kevin keekevin kee Posts: 1,289member
    Kuo believes Samsung's camera package will be "much better" than the dual camera array found on iPhone 7 Plus, and could potentially match the performance of Apple's rumored "iPhone 8."
    Why I am not even slightly surprised if the opposite happened. Every year, Samsung overpromised & underdelivered and yet pundits praised them forever even after the explosion fiasco. As if Samsung could do no wrong and Apple could do no right. iPhone 7 Plus dual camera is only half hardware design, the other half is their sophisticated algorithm coding. Something that Samsung is lack of.
    redgeminipaStrangeDayspscooter63watto_cobra
  • Reply 14 of 48
    mejsric said:
    I was expecting them to copy it for S8. 

It figures. Samsung needs 2 lines of phones to compete with the iPhone!

(Tongue firmly in cheek. I don't need no trolls giving me a history lesson on how there were always 2 - the master and the apprentice).

edited April 2017 watto_cobra
  • Reply 15 of 48
    Soli said:
    And there's a red tint to the display. At least it's not red because it's on fire.
    Yet.
    redgeminipapscooter63
  • Reply 16 of 48
    Like the iPhone copied the dual camera ala the Hauwei P9.
    avon b7
  • Reply 17 of 48
    simply258simply258 Posts: 133member
    The comments are very amusing, as if Apple came out first with a dual lens phone!
    avon b7brucemc
  • Reply 18 of 48
    Is that the phone that was released at the end of April in 2016 in Romania so they could say "me first" after months upon months of rumors and/or leaks that Apple would release an iPhone with dual lens? Do you even have a notion of what Apple and their partners have to do in order to create tens of millions of devices to be ready to launch in dozens of countries within a month of their announcement? A comparison to what each company has to do would be converting a Hello World app written in ObjC to Swift v Adobe converting Photoshop to Swift. I brag all I want that my code was completely done in Swift before Adobe, but it means nothing when you consider the scope.

PS: Did Hauwei any of it, or just buy it from Lecia? For comparison, Apple's own A10 chip includes benefits for imagine processing. Of course, Apple wasn't the first company to design an SoC, so I guess that makes their achievements in this area less than stellar, too¡
    edited April 2017 redgeminipaStrangeDayspscooter63watto_cobra
  • Reply 19 of 48
    avon b7avon b7 Posts: 7,624member
    Soli said:
    Is that the phone that was released at the end of April in 2016 in Romania so they could say "me first" after months upon months of rumors and/or leaks that Apple would release an iPhone with dual lens? Do you even have a notion of what Apple and their partners have to do in order to create tens of millions of devices to be ready to launch in dozens of countries within a month of their announcement? A comparison to what each company has to do would be converting a Hello World app written in ObjC to Swift v Adobe converting Photoshop to Swift. I brag all I want that my code was completely done in Swift before Adobe, but it means nothing when you consider the scope.

PS: Did Hauwei any of it, or just buy it from Lecia? For comparison, Apple's own A10 chip includes benefits for imagine processing. Of course, Apple wasn't the first company to design an SoC, so I guess that makes their achievements in this area less than stellar, too¡
    That is absurd.

Huawei spent time and resources working with Leica. The implementation is even different to Apple's. They didn't just rebrand a Leica product and push it out the door. The Kirin also includes image processing.

Does it even matter who was first? I'm beginning to think some people just can't accept that Apple might not be first or best with something. They are waking up to a crude reality and obviously not liking it too much. 

It's not about being first or better. It's about good products and if possible, at decent prices.
  • Reply 20 of 48
    avon b7 said:
    Does it even matter who was first? 
    Apparently to certain posters and certain companies it's really important.

I'm beginning to think some people just can't accept that Apple might not be first or best with something. 

Most people here understand that Apple is rarely first to market, and yet it's the same "…bu-bu-but Apple wasn't first" comments when Apple does something better than the competition.

redgeminipaStrangeDayspscooter63watto_cobra