Another alleged 'iPhone 8' schematic shows Touch ID home button on back of device, vertica...

Posted:
in iPhone edited April 2017
An illustration claiming to show the design of Apple's next-generation flagship "iPhone 8" includes features and measurements consistent with earlier leaks, most notably a circular space centered on the back of the device that could be the home button and Touch ID fingerprint sensor.

Whether legitimate or bogus, the image shared by Sonny Dickson on Wednesday shows an aluminum chassis featuring a home button cutout beneath the Apple logo on the back of the device. Like other purported "iPhone 8" leaks, it also has a vertical camera design, a change from the horizontal two-camera system found on the iPhone 7 Plus.

Notably, the measurements on the latest schematic are identical to a separate, questionable image that leaked last week. It is unclear whether the images are forgeries potentially based on one another, or if they are legitimate leaks from Apple's supply chain.

Even if the images are authentic, it's possible they represent a design that Apple will not release to the public. Multiple reports have indicated that the company is still testing a handful of potential designs ahead of an anticipated September product unveiling.

Specifically, some prototypes have glass backs while at least one design -- which could be the one pictured in Wednesday's leak -- has an iPhone 7-style aluminum back.

Rumors have suggested Apple is having trouble integrating fingerprint sensing capabilities into the "iPhone 8" display. That has led to speculation, backed by some leaks, that the Touch ID fingerprint sensor could move to the back of the device, allowing an edge-to-edge screen on the front of the handset.

Moving Touch ID to the back of the handset would be a highly unexpected move from Apple, a company that prides itself in intuitiveness and ease of use. Considering how integral Touch ID has become to the iPhone experience, including secure logins and Apple Pay authorization, such a major change to the iPhone interface would undoubtedly cause consternation among company diehards.

'iPhone 8' concept rendering by Marek Weidlich.

Still, technical limitations are also to be considered -- an issue that Samsung had to contend with in designing its new flagship Galaxy S8. Samsung was unable to integrate a fingerprint sensor into the device's edge-to-edge display, and ultimately chose to place it next to the camera on the back of the device, which early reviews have found to be inconvenient and confusing.

Apple has paved the way for a virtual home button with the iPhone 7 -- it already features a home button that does not click, instead emulating the sensation of a click with the proprietary Taptic Engine.

As for the vertical camera, it has been speculated that rearranging the lenses could allow for better use of augmented reality and virtual reality applications. When held in landscape mode, the cameras would be side-by-side, allowing for depth perception and 3D imagery matching the orientation of the user's own eyes.

Apple is expected to launch three new iPhones this year, with the high-end so-called "iPhone 8" said to be a premium-priced 10th anniversary model with a number of new technologies, including a large OLED display.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 68
    "When held in portrait mode, the cameras would be side-by-side, allowing for depth perception and 3D imagery matching the orientation of the user's own eyes."

I think you meant to write: "When held in LANDSCAPE mode..."  In portrait mode the cameras on one above the other.  In landscape mode they are next to each other (side by side).
  • Reply 2 of 68
    I think the design shows inductive charging on the back, not touchID. TouchID will be integrated into the front screen at the bottom, very similar to the TouchID on the new MacBook Pro. 
    Royfbwilliamhretrogustomaxxe123calimejsriccornchip
  • Reply 3 of 68
    tmaytmay Posts: 6,328member
    I'm fine with a 7 Plus for another year; a rear Touch ID is an aberration, and would mean a "no sale" to me. Then again, I'm skeptical of just about every rumor at this point in time. There's just too many prototype designs afloat.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 4 of 68
    rogifan_newrogifan_new Posts: 4,297member
    sog35 said:
    DAMB.

This looks real. Looks like iPhone8 will have touchID on the back. YUCK.

makes me wonder what Tim Cook does with that $10 billion R&D budget? Probably spends half of it on his dumb ass social crusades.
    What mobile phone maker has successfully imbedded a finger print reader into the display? You make it sound like a trivial matter that just needs more money thrown at it,
    jkichlinemejsric
  • Reply 5 of 68
    avon b7avon b7 Posts: 7,667member
    I think the design shows inductive charging on the back, not touchID. TouchID will be integrated into the front screen at the bottom, very similar to the TouchID on the new MacBook Pro. 
    That's a good guess. If it were a rear fingerprint scanner, I don't think they'd centre it that way. It's far more natural centred, but higher up.
    edited April 2017 retrogusto
  • Reply 6 of 68
    qwweraqwwera Posts: 281member
    First, this is not a "schematic".
    Second, It looks like they're going with aluminum if it's really happening like that.
    And when is the last time there was a cut-out for the Apple logo?

As someone else mentioned, it looks like an SE. And with rumors of the SE stock running low, maybe they are putting all those special CNC machines to better use on this thing.
    I love the SE, so regardless of the sensor being on the back. If it looks like a bigger SE, I'm all in.
    edited April 2017 saldog
  • Reply 7 of 68
    brucemcbrucemc Posts: 1,541member
    sog35 said:
    DAMB.

makes me wonder what Tim Cook does with that $10 billion R&D budget? Probably spends half of it on his dumb ass social crusades.
    There's the old Sog - sh*tting on Cook over a rumour...
    MacsplosionSpamSandwichwaverboymrboba1StrangeDaysmwhiteretrogustowatto_cobracaliRayz2016
  • Reply 8 of 68
    Please Apple, don't have Touch ID on the rear. Use the side power button if you can't integrate behind the display.
    watto_cobracali
  • Reply 9 of 68
    supadav03supadav03 Posts: 503member
    Well rumors have said Touch ID could be embedded in the display, on the back of the device or left out all together. This could just me the schematics for one of those options. No reason to assume this is the final decided upon design.
    StrangeDayspscooter63
  • Reply 10 of 68
    brucemcbrucemc Posts: 1,541member

We can only hope.

I wouldn't be buying the new model in any event, having upgraded from an iPhone 5s to the 7, but just the thought of Apple doing a "short cut" with usability implications is cringy.  Really hope this is not going to the case.
  • Reply 11 of 68
    avon b7avon b7 Posts: 7,667member
    sog35 said:
    DAMB.

LOL

Keep calm and buy Apple stock! ;-)

Wherever they put it, it will sell. Or the 7s will.

Just pray that the next Huawei Mate model doesn't steal their thunder! Ha. Just kidding!
    cornchip
  • Reply 12 of 68
    rob55rob55 Posts: 1,291member
    I've tinkered with a few Android phones which have their fingerprint sensors located on the back the way it is depicted in the illustration, and for me, it didn't seem like it would take too much getting used to (at least as far as TouchID is concerned). Having the Home button functionality on the back, however, would be a whole other story, and I agree that it would "undoubtedly cause consternation among company diehards." 

The bigger issue in my opinion, is that many would see this as a lazy "me too" effort on Apple's part. Because, as Apple fans, we all want Apple to crack that tough nut, and succeed in integrating TouchID into the screen.
  • Reply 13 of 68
    supadav03supadav03 Posts: 503member
    Could this been the design for the 7S and not the 8? If Apple is indeed releasing both, this could be either one. Maybe the rear Touch ID is how they give the 7S a full screen design & keep LCD. Maybe the 8 uses OLED but has it incorporated under the display? Idk. Just think it's funny we keep hearing Apple is making 2 phones yet everyone assumes every leak is for the "anniversary" edition and not the 7S. 
    cornchip
  • Reply 14 of 68
    tshapitshapi Posts: 370member
    Be intelligent. Use your head.  APPLE will never leave Touch ID out of there device.
    apple pay is a key selling point. Why would Apple leave it out of there most premium device. 

I suspect this is why we have rumors of 5'8" phones with 5.1" usable screen. Apple had these issues so they created a work around.... 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 15 of 68
    thttht Posts: 5,443member
    qwwera said:
    First, this is not a "schematic".
    Second, It looks like they're going with aluminum if it's really happening like that.
    And when is the last time there was a cut-out for the Apple logo?

As someone else mentioned, it looks like an SE. And with rumors of the SE stock running low, maybe they are putting all those special CNC machines to better use on this thing.
    I love the SE, so regardless of the sensor being on the back. If it looks like a bigger SE, I'm all in.
    The cut out logo started with the iPhone 6 ID. I think. I don't think the 5/5S had it, but definitely the 6 and later.

Good point about aluminum. The rumors for the high end iPhone have been pretty consistent in declaring it to be like the iPhone 4: a metal frame sandwiched between glass backs and fronts, with varying differences in how rounded the edges or sides will be. The CAD image is definitely not a metal frame glass sandwich ID. It basically looks like the iPhone 6 and 7 ID.

qwweraretrogusto
  • Reply 16 of 68
    touruntourun Posts: 18member
    Samsung 8 reviews are coming out.  Negative comments by most of the reviewers are about the fingerprint sensor on the back.  I don't think Apple will put Touch ID on the back of the phone.  
    lkruppwatto_cobracornchipredgeminipa
  • Reply 17 of 68
    vukasikavukasika Posts: 102member
    Calm down folks.  I've actually used a Google Nexus 6P.  The finger print scanner on the back is no big deal at all.  It is just as accessible if not more convenient than having it on the front.  
  • Reply 18 of 68
    maestro64maestro64 Posts: 5,043member
    Now that does not look like a Google sketchup document. However, keeping mind there are rumors of it being made of stainless steel and glass on both side so this drawing does not appear to match those rumors.
    cornchip
  • Reply 19 of 68
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    Looking more and more like this thing will be a Samsung Galaxy clone running iOS. Screw that!
  • Reply 20 of 68
    maestro64maestro64 Posts: 5,043member
    sog35 said:
    DAMB.

I tend to agree I like the home and unlock button on the front.

However, I use the Motorola Atrix which had the finger print reader on the back, forget the fact it did not work well and took multiply attempts to get it to recognize your finger. I actual like its location, for one reason, you could easily unlock the phone one handed as you were doing other things with your left or right hand. It was easy to hold the phone with one hand and move your finger to the back side and touch the senor. You can not do this as easily with the iphone with the bottom at the bottom front. BTW, Motorola used the same company Apple bought for its senor, they just failed on execution unlike Apple.