Apple to remove signature Fifth Avenue glass cube at cost of up to $2M

Posted:
in General Discussion
In the process of renovating its flagship Fifth Avenue store in New York City, Apple will have to dismantle the famous glass cube that sits over top, according to recently published building permits.

Apple submitted a permit for "full removal of glass cubical structure at apple store entrance" on March 16, which was granted on April 17, MacRumors noted. The procedure will be handled by Waldorf Exteriors, and could start on May 9, costing up to $2 million. The permit fee alone is noted to have been over $20,800.

Apple is planning to more than double the size of the store from approximately 32,000 square feet to 77,000, addressing long-standing concerns that the space is too small for its popularity. AppleInsider recently learned that part of the new space will be set aside for Beats 1 broadcasting.

What Apple might do with the cube is uncertain. Since most of the Fifth Avenue outlet is underground, the removal could only be temporary. The cube's design might be altered, but if so, that would add millions more to Apple's renovation costs.

The company has only dismantled the cube once before, tearing it down in 2011 in order to streamline it from 90 glass panes down to 15. The replacement cost some $6.7 million.

During the current renovations, Apple is operating a temporary store out of the former FAO Schwarz nearby.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 23
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    When it comes back, will it be made of ONE sheet of glass per side this time? :p
    jbdragonschlackrandominternetpersonstanthemanjony0
  • Reply 2 of 23
    calicali Posts: 3,494member
    When it comes back, will it be made of ONE sheet of glass per side this time? :p
    Beat me to it. Maybe Steve will finally get his wish.
  • Reply 3 of 23
    schlackschlack Posts: 719member
    One piece of glass total! With curved sides and embedded touch id.
    edited April 2017 tallest skilafrodri
  • Reply 4 of 23
    icoco3icoco3 Posts: 1,474member
    Transparent Aluminum
  • Reply 5 of 23
    macxpressmacxpress Posts: 5,801member
    Looks like possibly the spiral glass staircase is being replaced by maybe a white ceramic one? If so, thats gotta cost a ton of money.
  • Reply 6 of 23
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,926member
    Save the cube! 

Perhaps they'll make a self healing, metal cube structure with person sized sleeping bays. Resistance is futile. 
  • Reply 7 of 23
    .......costing up to $2 million. The permit fee alone is noted to have been over $20,800.
    Reduce the redevelopment cost to something more reasonable instead of this over extravagance or tax-reducing expenditure then give the rest to the starving millions or at least provide IT help to those that need it in the world to catch up (if they want to) with those in the developed world.
  • Reply 8 of 23
    spice-boyspice-boy Posts: 1,450member
    Maybe the "home" button will be embedded into the new glass walls. 
    I would imagine they would be extending the space further east towards Madison avenue under the building seen behind the cube, unless there is another floor below the current retain space. 
  • Reply 9 of 23
    zoetmbzoetmb Posts: 2,654member
    spice-boy said:
    Maybe the "home" button will be embedded into the new glass walls. 
    I would imagine they would be extending the space further east towards Madison avenue under the building seen behind the cube, unless there is another floor below the current retain space. 
    That was my original thought (extending east), but since they're removing the cube it makes me wonder whether they're not instead extending west under the plaza or extending the main floor of the building into the plaza and the store will have a first floor presence.    Also, I was always surprised that the NY Fire Department permitted them to just have that one entrance/exit.   Although I think there are some emergency exits in the basement, that place would be a disaster in a fire.   The NYFD is very strict about these kinds of things.   They wouldn't allow AMC/Dolby to lower the exit light levels at the Dolby Vision theater at the AMC Empire so as not to reflect light onto the screen.

$2 million does seem excessive, even in NYC, to remove the cube.  I can't imagine it would take more than two days.   
  • Reply 10 of 23
    sog35 said:
    In fact I thought the NYC store is pretty blah overall.  Very dark, like being in a cave.

They should redesign it. 
    There are actually nine stores in NYC. The others are above ground and brighter. Although I personally don't feel the Fifth Avenue location is very dark. No windows, sure, but plenty of lights.
    afrodri
  • Reply 11 of 23
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    It will be made of a single solid block of manufactured industrial grade diamond.
    tallest skil
  • Reply 12 of 23
    .......costing up to $2 million. The permit fee alone is noted to have been over $20,800.
    Reduce the redevelopment cost to something more reasonable instead of this over extravagance or tax-reducing expenditure then give the rest to the starving millions or at least provide IT help to those that need it in the world to catch up (if they want to) with those in the developed world.
    LOL. It's Apple's money and they can decide on their own how to spend it for the benefit of their business, their customers and their shareholders.
    randominternetperson
  • Reply 13 of 23

jungmark said:
    Save the cube! 

Perhaps they'll make a self healing, metal cube structure with person sized sleeping bays. Resistance is futile. 
    Auction off the original cube, perhaps? Could be repurposed into a lovely sidewalk cafe somewhere in Shanghai.
  • Reply 14 of 23
    sflocalsflocal Posts: 6,092member
    You're really good at telling other people what to do with their money.  So I figure I'll join your boat.  YOU should be doing more in helping those "starving millions" slacker.  Get with it!  
    randominternetpersonwatto_cobra
  • Reply 15 of 23
    fred1fred1 Posts: 1,112member
    What I want to know is how the rumor started that Steve Jobs designed the cube. Maybe he had the idea, but the firm of Bohlin, Cywinski,Jackson did the real work. 
  • Reply 16 of 23
    icoco3 said:
    Transparent Aluminum
    Transparisteel 
  • Reply 17 of 23
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    cwingrav said:
    Transparisteel 
    Transparicarbonanotube
  • Reply 18 of 23
    boredumbboredumb Posts: 1,418member
    icoco3 said:
    Transparent Aluminum
    Yes, with a humpback whale inside it...
    icoco3
  • Reply 19 of 23
    hexclockhexclock Posts: 1,243member
    schlack said:
    One piece of glass total! With curved sides and embedded touch id.
    Now you're talkin'!
  • Reply 20 of 23
    I don't care, as long as they make it thinner...