Comcast intros app-based Apple Pay bill payments with Xfinity iPhone update

Posted:
in iPhone
Expanding on a recent promise, Comcast on Thursday updated its Xfinity My Account app for the iPhone with support for Apple Pay, letting people handle TV and internet bills using their fingerprint.

The feature is rolling out to customers "over the next few weeks," Comcast said in release notes for the update. The app now also includes more details on its payment confirmation screen, and push notifications for the ETA of service technicians.

In February, Apple announced that Comcast would begin supporting Apple Pay for Web-based bill payments later in the March quarter. That eventually arrived, compatible with iPhones, iPads, Macs, and Apple Watches.

In the February announcement Apple also claimed that Apple Pay transactions were up 500 percent year-over-year, with triple the number of users. Much of that was likely because of international expansion -- as of April 2017, the platform is available in Australia, Canada, China, France, Ireland, Japan, New Zealand, Russia, Singapore, Spain, Switzerland, Taiwan, the U.S., and the U.K.

Merchant support has been Apple's biggest obstacle. While some regions like Japan are reasonably saturated, in the U.S., many major chains are still without support. Independent businesses have also been slow to come onboard, despite compatible chip readers from companies like Square.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 5
    waverboywaverboy Posts: 106member
    I just now updated the app, but I don't see how to enable Apple Pay within the app.  Am I missing something?
  • Reply 2 of 5
    maestro64maestro64 Posts: 5,043member
    Who still manually pays their cable bill. I have been set up on auto pay for at least 10 yrs if not more. The bill is the same amount and has been for years so why waste time manually checking and paying. I get an email every month went it is automatically paid.
  • Reply 3 of 5
    rob53rob53 Posts: 3,241member
    waverboy said:
    I just now updated the app, but I don't see how to enable Apple Pay within the app.  Am I missing something?
    The article mentions it rolling out over the next few weeks but my bill is up to date so I don't expect anything to show up until my bill is due. Even then, the only reason I'd use Comcast's bill pay is to get a few more reward points on my credit card. I've been using a bill pay service for years (@Maestro64 my bill isn't always the same, taxes change, stuff like that and I don't care to give Comcast my bank or credit card information for automatic payments).
  • Reply 4 of 5
    maestro64maestro64 Posts: 5,043member
    rob53 said:
    waverboy said:
    The article mentions it rolling out over the next few weeks but my bill is up to date so I don't expect anything to show up until my bill is due. Even then, the only reason I'd use Comcast's bill pay is to get a few more reward points on my credit card. I've been using a bill pay service for years (@Maestro64 my bill isn't always the same, taxes change, stuff like that and I don't care to give Comcast my bank or credit card information for automatic payments).

I never give any company my banking information, other than my credit card company. CC companies tend to have much better security then even our government military communications systems. I have a friend who works for one of CC payment processing company network security and they monitor all network activity 24/7 and know when they are attempting to be hacked. Hell my CC company disable my account once because someone made attentps to hack my account, they sent me a notice and said someone made 3 unsuccessful access attempt and my account was disabled and to call customer service. However, I have one credit card I use for all my online bill payments with a low credit limit so I do no worry, and for those bills which do not accept CC payments, My bank support ebills so when I am bill it goes directly to my bank and it will auto pay depending on how I have it set up. I spend no time paying recurring bills. A big changes from writing checks, licking a stamp and then dropping the bill in the mail.
    edited April 2017
  • Reply 5 of 5
    maestro64 said:
    Who still manually pays their cable bill. I have been set up on auto pay for at least 10 yrs if not more. The bill is the same amount and has been for years so why waste time manually checking and paying. I get an email every month went it is automatically paid.
    You don't have Comcast do you...