Apple hires two Google satellite execs for 'new hardware team'

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware
Apple has reportedly hired two executives from Google's satellite division to head up "a new hardware team," with goals that are still unclear.

The two people include John Fenwick, Google's head of spacecraft operations, and Michael Trela, who was in charge of satellite engineering, Bloomberg said on Friday. In February, Google confirmed a deal to sell off its satellite mapping business, Terra Bella, to Planet Labs. Google's parent company Alphabet likely wanted to cut out the expense of launching and running satellites.

Fenwick and Trela are reporting to Dropcam co-founder Greg Duffy, who joined Apple in January, according to Bloomberg sources. Duffy's hiring was confirmed by Apple but likewise mysterious, with other sources only hinting that he was probably working on a special project.

The new hires were at one point co-founders of Skybox Imaging, a satellite imaging startup Google bought in 2014 for $500 million. It designed fridge-sized satellites capable of producing detailed, rapidly-updated images of the Earth's surface.

Apple could conceivably want to launch its own satellite cluster, which would provide it with proprietary data for Apple Maps instead of having to rely on third parties. Such a project might cost billions however, and involve hiring many more people.

Bloomberg noted that aerospace giant Boeing has allegedly talked to Apple about investing in a project to put over 1,000 satellites in low Earth orbit for expanding internet access. Boeing's technology would purportedly offer faster-than-cellular speeds.

For Apple this would presumably increase the appeal of its devices and services, guaranteeing access even in places normally cut off from broadband. Unlike other companies that have explored global internet, such as Google and Facebook, Apple wouldn't gain any significant advertising revenue.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 49
    Kevin KJLKevin KJL Posts: 2unconfirmed, member
    Apple sets up its own cellular 5G network that supplements all carriers so any Apple device has better coverage than all competitors regardless of what carrier or features they support.
    calievilutioncornchip
  • Reply 2 of 49
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    Trouble is we hear abut these hires and special projects and nothing ever comes of them. Still relying on the iPhone to keep the ship afloat. Everything else appears to be a ‘hobby’. Sort of like Google’s barge in San Francisco bay. You’d think the world’s most valuable company, drenched in cash, would be able to juggle several major products at the same time. But everything is always ‘in the pipeline’ isn’t it?  New iMacs? In the pipeline. New Mac Pro? In the pipeline. Streaming packages? In the pipeline. Self-driving vehicle? Maybe in the pipeline. VR/AR? In the pipeline. AppleTV? Only God knows. That pipeline should be constipated by now. Apple = iPhone and Google = Advertising. And not much else.
    edited April 2017 palominesmaffeihmurchisonbrian greenentropysjonagold
  • Reply 3 of 49
    fastasleepfastasleep Posts: 6,408member
    lkrupp said:
    Trouble is we hear abut these hires and special projects and nothing ever comes of them. 
    Not with that attitude.
    mike1suddenly newtoncornchipStrangeDayswatto_cobra
  • Reply 4 of 49
    avon b7avon b7 Posts: 7,622member
    Kevin KJL said:
    Apple sets up its own cellular 5G network that supplements all carriers so any Apple device has better coverage than all competitors regardless of what carrier or features they support.
    There are patent issues surrounding 5G and although the spec isn't finished yet, I don't know if Apple has any.

We are now entering a new age of cheaper micro satellites and there have already been calls for a system to control the amount of new hardware that gets put into orbit.

Apple has the cash to put a cluster into orbit like Iridium (which has PowerPC processors) but it cannot go it alone. It will need a lot of specialized help and might run into regulatory problems if they try to deliver an end to end (content creation and delivery) solution.

edited April 2017 welshdog
  • Reply 5 of 49
    I think Apple does plan to launch its own Satellite constellation.
    The cost should not be in the billions because Iridium Communications owns the Iridium constellation and its market cap is under a billion dollars.

Apple is probably using Iridium now to support its Coherent Navigation systems which they purchased, but it is probably more cost effective to have its own constellation in the long term.

Apple can also launch more advanced dedicated satellites.  Cook would probably need Elon Musk's Space X to launch the satellites into orbit.

Time will tell.

cornchip
  • Reply 6 of 49
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    lkrupp said:
    Trouble is we hear abut these hires and special projects and nothing ever comes of them. 
    Not with that attitude.
    If you’ve been around here for a while you would know that I’m usually defending Apple against trolls and naysayers. But it’s becoming clear that Apple has nothing ‘in the pipeline’ that’s coming anytime soon. Everything appears to be years away, if ever. Sure, we’ll get new macOS, iOS, watchOS, tvOS announcements at WWDC but nothing significant in the hardware department. And my patience is wearing thin. Where are all those supposed $billions on R&D going anyway?
    brian green
  • Reply 7 of 49
    smaffeismaffei Posts: 237member
    lkrupp said:
    That pipeline should be constipated by now. Apple = iPhone and Google = Advertising. And not much else.
    Couldn't agree more. Apple has become the behemoth they were always fighting against. But, at least they have a cool new building to FAIL in.
  • Reply 8 of 49
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    I think Apple does plan to launch its own Satellite constellation.
    The cost should not be in the billions because Iridium Communications owns the Iridium constellation and its market cap is under a billion dollars.

Apple is probably using Iridium now to support its Coherent Navigation systems which they purchased, but it is probably more cost effective to have its own constellation in the long term.

Apple can also launch more advanced dedicated satellites.  Cook would probably need Elon Musk's Space X to launch the satellites into orbit.

Time will tell.

I'm curious if Apple has a long-term extra-planetary strategy. With Bezos and Musk we know what are their intentions...
  • Reply 9 of 49
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,419member
    lkrupp said:
    lkrupp said:
    Not with that attitude.
    If you’ve been around here for a while you would know that I’m usually defending Apple against trolls and naysayers. But it’s becoming clear that Apple has nothing ‘in the pipeline’ that’s coming anytime soon. Everything appears to be years away, if ever. Sure, we’ll get new macOS, iOS, watchOS, tvOS announcements at WWDC but nothing significant in the hardware department. And my patience is wearing thin. Where are all those supposed $billions on R&D going anyway?

What equally scares me is that not only is the largest Tech company struggling to keep products coming consistently that aren't named iPhone but that we unleash thousands of computer science majors every year and these silicon valley black holes just suck them into the singularity.   I feel a bit like technology has ground to a halt but then again I lived through the glory years of Tandy, Commodore Vic-20, Wang computers, Trash 80  Osborne and more.  Now you get two choices.   OS X or Windows, iOS or Android,  Intel or AMD.   

As excited as I get for Apple's future technological marvels my enthusiasm is tempered a bit by the realization that perhaps i'm expecting a wee bit too much from a company that cannot merge my Apple ID email and my iCloud email. 
    cornchip
  • Reply 10 of 49

Because of its recent work with Intel (modems) -- I suspect that Apple is working on a telephony-related offering...

There are some unique opportunities in the consumer and enterprise marketplaces.

cornchipslprescott
  • Reply 11 of 49
    lkrupp said:
    lkrupp said:
    Not with that attitude.

What equally scares me is that not only is the largest Tech company struggling to keep products coming consistently that aren't named iPhone but that we unleash thousands of computer science majors every year and these silicon valley black holes just suck them into the singularity.   I feel a bit like technology has ground to a halt but then again I lived through the glory years of Tandy, Commodore Vic-20, Wang computers, Trash 80  Osborne and more.  Now you get two choices.   OS X or Windows, iOS or Android,  Intel or AMD.   

As excited as I get for Apple's future technological marvels my enthusiasm is tempered a bit by the realization that perhaps i'm expecting a wee bit too much from a company that cannot merge my Apple ID email and my iCloud email. 
    Ha!  I remember a speech by Guy Kawasaki where he described a gent who sat around with his Apple in one hand and his Wang in the other  :D

edited April 2017 slprescottwelshdog
  • Reply 12 of 49
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,419member
    lkrupp said:
    lkrupp said:
    Not with that attitude.

Ha!  I remember a speech by Guy Kawasaki where he described a gent sat around with his Apple in one hand and his Wang in the other  :D

Stop touching your Wang!  

I'm actually excited about Apple getting into new areas,  their ADHD can be tiresome at times though.  
    I think everyone kind of wonders what a Post-iPhone Apple looks like. 
    cornchip
  • Reply 13 of 49
    holyoneholyone Posts: 398member
    lkrupp said:
    lkrupp said:
    Not with that attitude.

Ha!  I remember a speech by Guy Kawasaki where he described a gent sat around with his Apple in one hand and his Wang in the other  :D

Stop touching your Wang!  

I'm actually excited about Apple getting into new areas,  their ADHD can be tiresome at times though.  
    Thats kinda what you get when a non product guy runs the worlds biggest product company. Sure the ever aggressive evangelists will protest the leader need not be a product genius when surrounded by many product people ie Ive whose designing Christmas trees but hey at least the Air Pods are great if you can get you're hands on a pair . My question is this, who decides what direction is taken when two competing strategies for products are presented ? Back in the glory days ;) Steve was the final word of God, who does that now ? Jony ? Tim ? Who But seriously Apple owning its own cellular network would be awesome, only if there is no Apple tax Offcause
    edited April 2017
  • Reply 14 of 49
    sockrolidsockrolid Posts: 2,789member
    Unlike other companies that have explored global internet, such as Google and Facebook, Apple wouldn't gain any significant advertising revenue.
    97% of Google's revenue comes from ads.
    That's why you just can't trust Google.
    caliwatto_cobra
  • Reply 15 of 49
    sog35 said:
    lkrupp said:
    Trouble is we hear abut these hires and special projects and nothing ever comes of them. Still relying on the iPhone to keep the ship afloat. Everything else appears to be a ‘hobby’. Sort of like Google’s barge in San Francisco bay. You’d think the world’s most valuable company, drenched in cash, would be able to juggle several major products at the same time. But everything is always ‘in the pipeline’ isn’t it?  New iMacs? In the pipeline. New Mac Pro? In the pipeline. Streaming packages? In the pipeline. Self-driving vehicle? Maybe in the pipeline. VR/AR? In the pipeline. AppleTV? Only God knows. That pipeline should be constipated by now. Apple = iPhone and Google = Advertising. And not much else.
    Services.

That's bigger than Facebook.

Apple Watch.

That's bigger than Amazon Echo.

Airpods.

A multi-billion dollar company

Apple Music. Another multiple billion company.

Mac just had its biggest quarter ever.

iPad is still the #1 tablet in the world.

WTF more do you want?
    You know full well what we want.  It's what we actually used to get.  You know...new Macs.  How 'bout them apples?  Apple has truly screwed people over with all of their supposed R&D and what have we gotten to show for it?  A BS Touch Bar on a laptop with practically no ports?  Is that what you're suggesting is so great?  Because let's be entirely clear here, the headphones are cute and all, but I don't care about them in the least when it's new Mac's we're after.  Not sure what the folks at Apple are actually doing, but they certainly aren't releasing new Macs.  Hell, I've had a 4k TV for over two years now, and I can't even get an AppleTV that can push 4k.  What the hell are they waiting for?  What the hell are they actually doing?  They certainly aren't releasing stuff, and don't even get me started on their "Innovating, my ass" comment and their entire lack of upgrades for the Mac Pro.  

If Apple wants to actually Innovate, they've got to stop blaming the lack of new chips and the lack of this or that, and actually innovate a way around it.  That's what innovation is.  It's finding a solution when none of the options are working.  They are "supposedly" spending all of this money on R&D.  Well if they are, they certainly don't have teams actually designing and pushing out new Macs.  But you're right.  If all you ever care about is the iPhone, iPad, and Watch, then things are certainly looking rosy.  They are damn splendid even.  For the rest of us, we're getting hosed and Apple doesn't seem to care, which is what is truly upsetting.  So get Phil's ass out on stage and get us some new Macs that aren't slight tweaks to existing models.  Innovate damn it.  Innovate.
    avon b7entropys
  • Reply 16 of 49
    calicali Posts: 3,494member
    Kevin KJL said:
    I've been wanting Mobile for a while.

lkrupp said:

Apple Watch was released just 2 years ago. You want a successful Watch-scale product every year? What other company is doing this?

smaffei said:
    lkrupp said:
    That pipeline should be constipated by now. Apple = iPhone and Google = Advertising. And not much else.
    Couldn't agree more. Apple has become the behemoth they were always fighting against. But, at least they have a cool new building to FAIL in.
    Record Services/iPhone/Mac/Bluetooth headset/Watch sales were a disappointment. And don't get me started on those sold out AirPods!!

Apple will go out of business tomorrow!!!!1

holyone said:
    lkrupp said:
    lkrupp said:
    Not with that attitude.

Stop touching your Wang!  

Thats kinda what you get when a non product guy runs the worlds biggest product company. Sure the ever aggressive evangelists will protest the leader need not be a product genius when surrounded by many product people ie Ive whose designing Christmas trees but hey at least the Air Pods are great if you can get you're hands on a pair . My question is this, who decides what direction is taken when two competing strategies for products are presented ? Back in the glory days ;) Steve was the final word of God, who does that now ? Jony ? Tim ? Who But seriously Apple owning its own cellular network would be awesome, only if there is no Apple tax Offcause

Jony isn't designing Christmas trees. And wow, a sold out product is a "problem"? What if it wasn't sold out? Oh yeah, that would be a "problem" too. Apple is damned if they do, damned if they don't. "Peak iPhone", "no ones buying the iPhone", "AirPods are sold out".
    There is no Apple tax, you're starting to sound like an iKnockoff idiot. 

sog35 said:
    lkrupp said:
    Services.

Apple Watch.

Airpods.

WTF more do you want?
    You know full well what we want.  It's what we actually used to get.  You know...new Macs.  How 'bout them apples?  Apple has truly screwed people over with all of their supposed R&D and what have we gotten to show for it?  A BS Touch Bar on a laptop with practically no ports?  Is that what you're suggesting is so great?  Because let's be entirely clear here, the headphones are cute and all, but I don't care about them in the least when it's new Mac's we're after.  Not sure what the folks at Apple are actually doing, but they certainly aren't releasing new Macs.  Hell, I've had a 4k TV for over two years now, and I can't even get an AppleTV that can push 4k.  What the hell are they waiting for?  What the hell are they actually doing?  They certainly aren't releasing stuff, and don't even get me started on their "Innovating, my ass" comment and their entire lack of upgrades for the Mac Pro.  

If Apple wants to actually Innovate, they've got to stop blaming the lack of new chips and the lack of this or that, and actually innovate a way around it.  That's what innovation is.  It's finding a solution when none of the options are working.  They are "supposedly" spending all of this money on R&D.  Well if they are, they certainly don't have teams actually designing and pushing out new Macs.  But you're right.  If all you ever care about is the iPhone, iPad, and Watch, then things are certainly looking rosy.  They are damn splendid even.  For the rest of us, we're getting hosed and Apple doesn't seem to care, which is what is truly upsetting.  So get Phil's ass out on stage and get us some new Macs that aren't slight tweaks to existing models.  Innovate damn it.  Innovate.

Funny you're complaining about the complete opposite of others.

damned if they do, damned if they don't.

What does the competition release? Besides Apple knockoffs you'll be lucky to get a lousy product every decade. Oh no but Apple must release a revolutionary new product yearly. Who cares if their other products are in their prime.
    fastasleepjonagoldrandominternetpersonStrangeDayswatto_cobraMacsplosion
  • Reply 17 of 49
     Cook would probably need Elon Musk's Space X to launch the satellites into orbit.
    There's lots of competition in the satellite launching business. Including countries like India that are doing some rather advanced stuff pretty inexpensively... 
    edited April 2017
  • Reply 18 of 49
    lkrupp said:
    lkrupp said:
    Not with that attitude.
    Well, we have some ideas. You could go look at Patently Apple for a few clues. Seriously, you can see the foundation being laid for all sorts of amazing things even outside of big new consumer products.  I could point you in the direction of a dozen examples pointing toward future tech that we're likely to see in Apple products but you sound like you'd rather be disappointed. As with in the past (yes, under Jobs as well), Apple works on tech quietly behind the scenes and and will shelve stuff or continue to keep it internal until the technology reaches a point where the end goal can be met and an amazing product can be released. They could come out with a working bloodless glucose monitor tomorrow or full 3D environment mapping in the next iPhone, and would you still be complaining? Have some patience, the Watch is just in its second gen. What about their homegrown SoCs for chrissakes?

edited April 2017 randominternetpersoncornchipStrangeDayswatto_cobrabadmonk
  • Reply 19 of 49

sog35 said:
    lkrupp said:
    Services.

Apple Watch.

Airpods.

WTF more do you want?

Hyperbolic nonsense. Yes, there have been gaps in the timeline compared to what you're used to, but to state that they're not designing or releasing Macs is false. We know we'll see an updated iMac this year (what's the 5K anyway, chopped liver?). The MacBook will get an update at some point this year, of course. They mentioned the mini at the roundtable, so odds are they haven't abandoned that. We know they're deep into redoing the Mac Pro from scratch to make good on that promise. The MBP is brand spanking new still, with its "practically no ports" if you're a glass half empty type, or four of the most versatile future-forward ports ever on a Mac. The Touch Bar was years in development, whether you like it or not, and is a stepping stone to full virtual control surfaces replacing the entire keyboard/trackpad (again, see Patently Apple if you think they're sitting around doing nothing).

You should hang out on MacRumors, you'd love it there — everyone complains all day long about how Apple sits on their thumbs all day doing nothing.
    randominternetpersoncornchipStrangeDayswatto_cobra
  • Reply 20 of 49
    k2kwk2kw Posts: 2,075member
    lkrupp said:
    lkrupp said:
    Not with that attitude.

The money went into Project Titan which will probably be called Timmy's Folley but it doesn't matter too much because Apple will still be amazingly successful and profitable with their existing products.

Even when Apple screws up in a few places you have to realize that Apple still executes better than Google (who couldn't get their Pixel phones out in volume) and better than Samsung (which has one flagship that blows up) followed by another that despite its beautiful screen has the finger print scanner is a very stupid location (plus facial recognition that fails) and has a button that does not work because of unfinished software.

That's why Apple can get away with crappy iTunes Software, SIRI, and MAPS.   Google has some software and services that are better, but I heard a couple reviewers complaining about the lag on the Galaxy S8.