Samsung's fix for red-tinted Galaxy S8 screens forces users to self-calibrate

Comments

• Reply 41 of 67
    tzeshantzeshan Posts: 2,351member
    So Samsung enhanced the red to make the super AMOLED look 'artificially' beautiful. There is a simple solution. To avoid loading screens with more red color.  LOL 
    It seems that if the user calibrate the color by themselves to reduce the red enhancements then the super AMOLED screen will look just like a LCD screen.  another LOL
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 42 of 67
    tzeshantzeshan Posts: 2,351member
    sog35 said:
    It baffles me why millions of people buy Samdung phones that cost just as much an iPhone.

I understand those who buy cheap phones and can't afford an iPhone.

This is like spending $100k on a Hyundai instead of a BMW. Makes zero sense.
    Why are you baffled?  This is brand new phone.  How a buyer know whether it is good or bad?  Of course, by Samsung marketing and media reports.  Look at the mountains of articles about iPhone 8 I suspect planted by the tricky Samsung marketing and conspiring media.  They are forecast the next greatest iPhone 8 will have almost exactly the same exciting new features as Galaxy S8. Specifically edge to edge screen, Super AMOLED screen, Screen without Home button, Touch ID on the back of the phone, etc, etc.  All these 'news' articles are trying to make unsuspected  new phone buyers think Galaxy S8 is as good as the next iPhone and six months early.  This is sad. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 43 of 67
    Samsung once again rushed another phone to market and it shows.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 44 of 67
    So you can mark your emails as unred or red
    watto_cobraStrangeDays
  • Reply 45 of 67
    QJQJ Posts: 8unconfirmed, member
    Keep patting yourselves on the back guys... OR maybe you could watch this video and learn.

Hint - Apple's displays were just as much different from each other than Samsung's were.
  • Reply 46 of 67
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Let's not get too pompous here.  Apple was quick to tell us we were just "holding it wrong."   
    And there was still no problem with the 4, so your point doesn’t stand.
    watto_cobraStrangeDays
  • Reply 47 of 67
    hexclock said:
    maestro64 said:

Not a good example, Yes the BMW is far better driving car, as an owner of BMW I speak from experience they have made a number of mistake, but any BMW owner will tell you if you going to own a BMW you better be prepare for the maintenance bill and all the thinks that can happen.
    "Any BMW owner"?! I've owned mine for 4.5 years now (the longest I've ever owned a car!), and it is/has been in absolutely brilliant shape. I've done an oil change once a year (along with a wiper blade replacement, which I just do as a matter of course annually, but was pleasantly surprised to discover that BMW included that for free as a part of its scheduled maintenance) , and I replaced my radials at 30,000 miles. Other than that, I have spent essentially nothing at all for maintenance.

What a stupid post.
    Wow, once a year oil change seems rather infrequent. How many miles a year do you drive it?
    I do about 12-13,000 miles a year. For the newer (post-2012, I think) models, BMW recommends an oil change every 15,000 miles or once a year, whichever comes first. 
  • Reply 48 of 67
    foggyhillfoggyhill Posts: 4,767member
    cpsro said:
    Samsung denies that there is a hardware problem with the phones, despite being presented with multiple examples of out-of-the-box phones demonstrating different tones.
    [...]
    "In the past, we have received feedback that consumers wanted the ability to customize the color setting of their Galaxy devices due to natural variations in displays, and we provided the option to do so in previous software updates," wrote Samsung
    Yes, the red tint is a feature and if customers would like a different coloration, they are encouraged to change it themselves. Some people like blue haze, while others prefer green shmutz.

I hear complaints about this all the time concerning the iPhone--they're just too consistent and too rigid and accurate.

Tangentially, I hope Apple has all avenues covered for how Samsung will try to screw up the OLEDs in the iPhone 8.
    Hope this is a joke post... cause it sure sounds like it...
  • Reply 49 of 67
    foggyhillfoggyhill Posts: 4,767member
    QJ said:
    Keep patting yourselves on the back guys... OR maybe you could watch this video and learn.

Hint - Apple's displays were just as much different from each other than Samsung's were.
    Go away bud, go be a damn "genius" (sic) somewhere else.
  • Reply 50 of 67
    jcs2305jcs2305 Posts: 1,337member
    Let's not get too pompous here.  Apple was quick to tell us we were just "holding it wrong."   
    Actually Steve Jobs told a customer to " just avoid holding it that way"  in an email when questioned about losing reception when he put his hands on the steel band of the iPhone 4. 

https://www.engadget.com/2010/06/24/apple-responds-over-iphone-4-reception-issues-youre-holding-th/

If if you are going to try and start sh** at least get the info correct.  

We all know darn well that if this nonsense happened with the just released iPhone, and Apple was putting this back on the customer as if the red screen was an example of calibration control that they have been asking for... the internet and social media would lose their collective minds!! The compulsive need to protect and do damage control for this company ( Samsung ) is just crazy to me. 

suddenly newton
  • Reply 51 of 67
    Rayz2016Rayz2016 Posts: 6,957member
    Years ago I watched a demo of the antennaegate problem. To make it work the man was squeezing the phone so hard his arm was shaking. 

Years later I watched a demo of bendgate. The man in the video was pressing so hard his thumbs turned red and his hands were shaking. 

I'm currently working on new book entitled "How to short Apple stock and get a good upper body workout at the same time". 

This is is a followup to my unsuccessful book: "How to play Russian Roulette with a Samsung Note and six household wall sockets".

I'm kidding!

It's a DVD, not a book. 
  • Reply 52 of 67
    9secondkox29secondkox2 Posts: 2,707member
    QJ said:

Listen here, 2 posts. Just because someone makes s YouTube video to defend Samsung doesn't make it an education. But thanks for trying. I'm sure your boss will give you a raise for the effort. And the guy in the video is hardly credible. 
    edited April 2017
  • Reply 53 of 67
    avon b7avon b7 Posts: 7,667member
    avon b7 said:
    Another one pre-defending Samsung from future criticism. Look how much mileage they can wring from 7-year-old antennagate! 
    LOL. Apple had the same kind of problem with the first 27inch iMac screens, and right in the middle of the Christmas season. On that occasion it was a yellow tint and users even created test cards to check for the problem.

Apple's response was silence while the internet went up in flames on the issue. I know because I have one of those machines and remember only too well the thought of plunking $2,000 down on a machine that could be affected. Users even went to the lengths of tracking the week the unit was built in an attempt to avoid the issue. Mine wasn't overly affected by the issue, although it did manage to fry its GPU to death because of the woefully inadequate thermal design.

Samsung has defined the issue and made a statement. Users can exchange units, adjust their screens or wait for an update that is already in the works. It's all in the article.

That seems like a pretty good response as things stand today. 

And since when is the date of a problem an issue? And as if Apple hasn't had enough screen related issues already. The most recent being the special coating applied to some laptops.

As for pre-defending Samsung. No. Samsung seems to have defended itself. That is even detailed in the article.
    LOL. Let's break it down.
    The article is about Samsung, their phone, their screen, and [some of] their unhappy customers [and Samsung's response]. It's not about Apple.

Ttollerton (and you) are bringing up examples of Apple's past problems (obviously) defensively.

"Look over there! Antennagate!" is pure weak-sauce. This isn't a "he who is without sin casts the first stone" contest. Apple's past problems have been covered by this website in past articles when those issues were relevant news.

This article is about Samsung. I find it amusing that you (and Ttollerton) can't just leave it at that.
    So that is your breakdown? I've added some corrections to it in the quoted text.

My post was not so much about Apple but Apple's exact same problems (screen tinting) and how they dealt with them (silence).

Although you clearly don't want to see it, there is a direct connection between Apple and Samsung in these cases because they shared the same problem.

The difference (and it's one of the reasons I mentioned it in the first place) is that Apple chose to ignore user complaints whereas Samsung chose to give users multiple tools to get the screen to their liking and even the option of changing the unit.

Nobody is 'obviously' defending (or even pre-defending) Samsung because they have defended themselves (and that was even reflected in the article). 

The point was to point out that some users are short-sighted and/or overzealous to snark before looking at things closer to home.

Perhaps you are happy with that and that's your decision, but when the boot is on the other foot, don't complain about about trolling or whatever when Apple hits problems (that's when, not if) and people start aiming their darts.

Some kinds of problem are inevitable and others are not. What will get you or lose you more points as a company, is how you react to them.

edited April 2017 singularity
  • Reply 54 of 67
    sog35 said:
    It baffles me why millions of people buy Samdung phones that cost just as much an iPhone.

I understand those who buy cheap phones and can't afford an iPhone.

This is like spending $100k on a Hyundai instead of a BMW. Makes zero sense.
    It's not that difficult to see why some people would buy a Samsung phone. What matters to most people? Screen size - Samsung wins, form factor - Samsung wins, price - at least where I live, Samsung wins. What else matters to most people? Camera - a draw for most people, neither are SLR quality both are much better than most phones, performance, both phones are fast enough for most people, OS, much of a muchness these days. Screen quality - most reviews seem to say Samsung is better. Then there's the trade offs - headphone jack, battery life, fingerprint reader placement, updates, SD card, waterproofing, Pay etc etc. Just depends on what matters to you.

You may prefer Apple and I can see why but i can also see why plenty of people prefer Samsung 

singularityavon b7
  • Reply 55 of 67
    QJQJ Posts: 8unconfirmed, member
    QJ said:

Listen here, 2 posts. Just because someone makes s YouTube video to defend Samsung doesn't make it an education. But thanks for trying. I'm sure your boss will give you a raise for the effort. And the guy in the video is hardly credible. 
    So you're more credible than him, how? How many videos do YOU have posted on YouTube? How many followers do you have? How many reviews under your belt? I look forward to your reply.
    singularity
  • Reply 56 of 67
    avon b7 said:
    avon b7 said:
    Another one pre-defending Samsung from future criticism. Look how much mileage they can wring from 7-year-old antennagate! 
    LOL. Apple had the same kind of problem with the first 27inch iMac screens, and right in the middle of the Christmas season. On that occasion it was a yellow tint and users even created test cards to check for the problem.

Apple's response was silence while the internet went up in flames on the issue. I know because I have one of those machines and remember only too well the thought of plunking $2,000 down on a machine that could be affected. Users even went to the lengths of tracking the week the unit was built in an attempt to avoid the issue. Mine wasn't overly affected by the issue, although it did manage to fry its GPU to death because of the woefully inadequate thermal design.

Samsung has defined the issue and made a statement. Users can exchange units, adjust their screens or wait for an update that is already in the works. It's all in the article.

And since when is the date of a problem an issue? And as if Apple hasn't had enough screen related issues already. The most recent being the special coating applied to some laptops.

As for pre-defending Samsung. No. Samsung seems to have defended itself. That is even detailed in the article.
    The article is about Samsung, their phone, their screen, and [some of] their unhappy customers [and Samsung's response]. It's not about Apple.

Ttollerton (and you) are bringing up examples of Apple's past problems (obviously) defensively.

"Look over there! Antennagate!" is pure weak-sauce. This isn't a "he who is without sin casts the first stone" contest. Apple's past problems have been covered by this website in past articles when those issues were relevant news.

This article is about Samsung. I find it amusing that you (and Ttollerton) can't just leave it at that.
    So that is your breakdown? I've added some corrections to it in the quoted text.

My post was not so much about Apple but Apple's exact same problems (screen tinting) and how they dealt with them (silence).

Although you clearly don't want to see it, there is a direct connection between Apple and Samsung in these cases because they shared the same problem.

The difference (and it's one of the reasons I mentioned it in the first place) is that Apple chose to ignore user complaints whereas Samsung chose to give users multiple tools to get the screen to their liking and even the option of changing the unit.

Nobody is 'obviously' defending (or even pre-defending) Samsung because they have defended themselves (and that was even reflected in the article). 

The point was to point out that some users are short-sighted and/or overzealous to snark before looking at things closer to home.

Perhaps you are happy with that and that's your decision, but when the boot is on the other foot, don't complain about about trolling or whatever when Apple hits problems (that's when, not if) and people start aiming their darts.

Some kinds of problem are inevitable and others are not. What will get you or lose you more points as a company, is how you react to them.

Leaving aside Apple's past responses to similar issues or different issues etc, which are totally irrelevant to the issue in S8/S8+, why should Samsung NOT be criticized for having the red tint in S8/S8+ phones? Did S7/S7 edge/Note 7 have this display issue? Hasn't Samsung messed up the display of their latest flagships in the name of bringing HDR compliance to their displays for the first time (in a bid to bring parity to what Apple offers in their smartphone displays)? Doesn't Samsung and their phone users boast about the DisplayMate's "absolute best" rating given for Samsung flagships. Doesn't Samsung pride itself in being advanced than their competitors (Apple included) in smartphone Display technology? If yes, shouldn't the bar be set high for them AND when they fail at that very task, shouldn't questions be asked of them why their standards are getting lower?
  • Reply 57 of 67
    avon b7avon b7 Posts: 7,667member
    avon b7 said:
    avon b7 said:

Leaving aside Apple's past responses to similar issues or different issues etc, which are totally irrelevant to the issue in S8/S8+, why should Samsung NOT be criticized for having the red tint in S8/S8+ phones? Did S7/S7 edge/Note 7 have this display issue? Hasn't Samsung messed up the display of their latest flagships in the name of bringing HDR compliance to their displays for the first time (in a bid to bring parity to what Apple offers in their smartphone displays)? Doesn't Samsung and their phone users boast about the DisplayMate's "absolute best" rating given for Samsung flagships. Doesn't Samsung pride itself in being advanced than their competitors (Apple included) in smartphone Display technology? If yes, shouldn't the bar be set high for them AND when they fail at that very task, shouldn't questions be asked of them why their standards are getting lower?
    Criticism in itself is fine. In fact it is what Samsung is responding to.
  • Reply 58 of 67
    Mike WuertheleMike Wuerthele Posts: 6,861administrator
    QJ said:
    QJ said:

So you're more credible than him, how? How many videos do YOU have posted on YouTube? How many followers do you have? How many reviews under your belt? I look forward to your reply.
    Not criticizing you, but none of these things are a guarantee of credibility. The video producer does good work, and it's good that he used a calibration tool to take a look. 

However, it was pretty clear that the video didn't feature any of the phones that truly have the red-tint problem. It's good that Samsung is addressing it better than it originally dealt with the Note 7 debacle -- but if this actually a fix remains to be seen.
  • Reply 59 of 67
    At least it's not blowing up!!
  • Reply 60 of 67
    firelockfirelock Posts: 238member
    Actually Apple had a similar issue a few years back with the iPad 3. I had got an iPad 3 for work, and when I started it up I noticed immediately that the screen had a distinct yellow tint. Since I work as a photo retoucher I knew right away it was a white point/color balance issue. There is no way to calibrate or adjust an iPad screen the way you can on a Mac and after contacting Apple I was told that this was considered "normal variation" and therefore not eligible for "repair." I researched the problem and it turned out that for that model iPad they had two manufacturers for the screen: Samsung and Sharp. It seems that the iPad software is calibrated for the Samsung displays, and so anyone with a display made by Sharp had a yellow-tint to their screen. I've owned many iPads since then (I'm writing this on an iPad Pro 9.7") and I've never seen this issue since the problem with the iPad 3.
    avon b7