The Best FTP Client

Comments

• Reply 41 of 135
    Quote:

Originally posted by Ganondorf

I just installed Transmit. How long is the trial period?

I assume there is no trial period and I can just use the trial version free of charge indefinitely?

It gives you messages on startup until you pay and enter the serial number. But you can always use it without a problem. They're nice guys
  • Reply 42 of 135
    Interarchy is the obvious winner for people like me who have 15+ FTP windows open at all times (each in list view with many disclosed triangles). Remotely editing (in BBEdit via cmd-J) large numbers of files in deep hierarchies (e.g. web sites and Perl modules) using one of those big, honkin' "local on one side, remote on the other, plus lots of buttons" FTP apps would quickly swamp my screen and drive me insane.

Plus, it has a hopping kangaroo. Take that, you ugly Fetch dog cursor.

(SoundEdit 16 has the best dog cursor anyway ;-)
  • Reply 43 of 135
    Acquisition works fine for me.
  • Reply 44 of 135
    ryaxnbryaxnb Posts: 583member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Paul

whats wrong with fetch?

I thin it's actually quite a nice app. I can simply delete the prefs and Fetch lets me use it again, thus I like it. . And it supports D&D, unlike Fugu. fetch is actually a good ftp client IMHO.
  • Reply 45 of 135
    alcimedesalcimedes Posts: 5,486member
    ok, ftp question.

a friend of mine set up an ftp server on his PC.

it has an option labled "'FTP with SSL (Implicit encryption)"

when i try to log into it using transmit, fugu, fetch etc., it doesn't work. on his end he says it's never even trying to use SSL. on my end it just times out.

any ideas?
  • Reply 46 of 135
    glyphglyph Posts: 58member
    Quote:

I am looking for a good FTP client, which can also handle SFTP. I have used Transit on the Mac, and WS_FTP on Windows which were both good. I was just wondering if there is anything better before I part with my money for Transit.

i found cyberduck the other day and it seems to work fine. it's free too.

Cyberduck for OS X
  • Reply 47 of 135
    nebagakidnebagakid Posts: 2,692member
    Cyberduck kicks ass, megaass
  • Reply 48 of 135
    johnqjohnq Posts: 2,763member
    Interarchy now is the best if you need more than one window. Transmit is a bit bloated once you need to have like 5 or 10 windows open.

For modest FTPeeing needs, Transmit is great.

Prior to Interarchy I liked NetFinder although it's not quite as polished now.

But I own like 5 FTP programs, so far be it for me to say one is best! I like several onhand.
  • Reply 49 of 135
    What ever happened to FTP in Finder? Are we ever going to get that? It was such a sweet promise of things to come, and yet we never saw it fully realized
  • Reply 50 of 135
    Hi,

try http://www.fetchsoftworks.com/

very nice and reliable - but i'm using transit too, very good.

cheers

Quote:

Originally posted by Matt FT

Hi there,

I am looking for a good FTP client, which can also handle SFTP. I have used Transit on the Mac, and WS_FTP on Windows which were both good. I was just wondering if there is anything better before I part with my money for Transit.

Thanks!

• Reply 51 of 135
    I don't think that it has been mentioned here, but Interachy has just got to version 7. They have finally chucked older OS support, and it is a beaut. Finally got Mac OS X customisable toolbars. Do check it out:

http://www.interarchy.com/

You can now have tabbed FTP browsing in column view. Quite cool i thought.

The interface is very customisable too, which is a good thing.

It gets my vote.
  • Reply 52 of 135
    cubs23cubs23 Posts: 324member
    Here is yet another one that I am going to check out. Looks alright, but we'll see. http://captainftp.xdsnet.de/
  • Reply 53 of 135
    bryan.furybryan.fury Posts: 164member
    just moved to panther a few days ago ...

was having difficulties getting my copy of "Liftp" to work, so i tried out "cyberduck" and i am favourably impressed: easy to comprehend, works like a charm, available in diffferent languages, is free.
  • Reply 54 of 135
    addisonaddison Posts: 1,185member
    Quote:

Originally posted by johnq

Interarchy now is the best if you need more than one window. Transmit is a bit bloated once you need to have like 5 or 10 windows open.

I love Interarchy, but it is not free so I use CyberDuck, I just can't justify paying for something I only use once in a while.
  • Reply 55 of 135
    rokrok Posts: 3,519member
    Quote:

Originally posted by iKwak

Another Fetch user. I liked Transmit until the trial ended and gave me lot of limitation such as only 10 minute use.

yeah, some shareware has a bad habit of not letting you use the full functionality when you don't pay for it before the trial period expires.
  • Reply 56 of 135
    How about Captain FTP ? THats what i use, it supports FTP and SFTP, its small simple and fast.
  • Reply 57 of 135
    chris vchris v Posts: 460member
    I paid for both Captain FTP and Transmit, but I find myself using Transmit exclusively, these days.
  • Reply 58 of 135
    Cyberduck has my vote - of all the free FTP clients it is definitely the best. Transmit is also good, as is FTPeel.
  • Reply 59 of 135
    jmoneyjmoney Posts: 133member
    I find that Fetch is good for everything I do.. and for the most part I'm good since Dreamweaver handles my tedious ftp chores
  • Reply 60 of 135
    ticksticks Posts: 7member
    i said it before and i'll say again, FlashFXP is the best ftp client available on any OS. i understand it isnt available for os x, however, that doesnt matter. somebody for the love of god, create something that functions in a way that flash does. i know you programmers can do this. if i could, i would. [but i cant] \

FlashFXP