New Apple stores coming to Staten Island, Cali, and Mass

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Apple Computer is in the process of nailing down leases and renovation plans for four additional retail stores this year, including two more locations in California, one in Massachusetts and another in the New York City borough of Staten Island.

Over the next seven months the computer company and emerging retailer is expected to open at least 20 new stores, with some reports predicting that as many as 30 new outfits will surface. The four latest locations where first discovered by ifoAppleStore, which posted the news to its Web site earlier this morning.

Apple Store The Oaks, California

The first of two new California-based stores will open this summer at The Oaks Mall located in Thousand Oaks, California. The two-level enclosed, super-regional shopping center spans 1.1 million square feet and is home to 120 top-tier retailers including Ann Taylor, Williams Sonoma, Pottery Barn, Banana Republic, Sharper Image, Cache and BeBe.

According to sources, Apple will move into this second level location formerly occupied by Eddie Bauer. The location is long and narrow but comparative in size to an adjacent location occupied by the Cheesecake Factory restaurant. The store is expected to open sometime this summer or fall.

Apple Store Brea Mall, California

A second California location is reportedly slated for the Brea Mall, located off ofÂ*theÂ*Orange Freeway in Brea, Southern California. This upscale shopping center hosts 5 major department stores - Nordstrom, Macy's, Robinsons-May, JCPenney and Sears - plus 175 specialty shops.

According to sources, construction of this store has yet to begin and rumor has it that a lease has been prepared but remains unsigned. Still, Apple is expected to proceed with plans to launch the location, in a newly constructed retail space in the mall, around September or October.

Apple Store Burlington, Massachusetts

Over on the east coast, Apple has inked a deal with Simon Properties' recently renovated Burlington Mall, which will deliver Massachusetts its sixth Apple retail store. The new store, due to open sometime this Summer, will join three existing Mass. Apple stores in addition to upcoming locations in Braintree and Hingham.

The upscale shopping center is anchored by Filene's, Lord & Taylor, Macy's and Sears and features more than 155 specialty shops and a 775-seat Food Court. According to sources, Apple will take over a lower-level storefront in Location C, formerly occupied by lingerie retailer La Senza.

Apple Store Staten Island, New York City

Arguably the most anticipated of the four new store locations is one planned for the Staten Island Mall in Staten Island, New York. It will mark New York City's fourth Apple store, joining three other Manhattan locations, including an existing flagship store in SoHo and upcoming locations in Midtown and the Flatiron district.

However, as is the case with the Brea Mall location, sources say a lease for the Staten Island store has been drawn but is not yet inked. Although the store is expected to launch in time for the holiday shopping season, no further details are available.

The Staten Island Mall is the islands only regional mall and is anchored by JCPenny, Macy's, and Sears. It's also home to over 180 other retailers including Abercrombie & Fitch, Ann Taylor, GUESS, New York & Company, and Nike.

Apple Store Yorkdale, Toronto, Canada

In related Apple retail store news, the company this week quietly announced plans to launch its first Canadian-based store at the Yorkdale Shopping Center this Saturday at 9:30 am.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 15
    mugwumpmugwump Posts: 233member
    The forthcoming Apple store at Century City mall in West Los Angeles looks almost ready to open. A quick view into the inside reveals a ready built Apple store with no hardware yet and no displays, with cleaning crews inside doing a final polish for the floor.
  • Reply 2 of 15
    daveydavey Posts: 2member
    Excellent! I'm looking forward to the Burlington Mass one .

Now, how would one apply for a job at a new Apple store...
  • Reply 3 of 15
    mdriftmeyermdriftmeyer Posts: 7,503member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Davey

Excellent! I'm looking forward to the Burlington Mass one .

Now, how would one apply for a job at a new Apple store...

http://www.apple.com/jobs/index.html
  • Reply 4 of 15
    corvettecorvette Posts: 561member
    awesome.

i can practically walk to the burlington mall \\

now more of a reason than ever to go to the mall.
  • Reply 5 of 15
    boo you suck apple. where the hell is a maine store :< i'm mad :<

• Reply 6 of 15
    playmakerplaymaker Posts: 511member
    Oh for christ sake I'm so tired of asking already...

• Reply 7 of 15
    louzerlouzer Posts: 1,054member
    Hey. I was in the Staten Island mall once! Like in the early 80s. I remember it was big and was taken aback how my $3 purchase had 24 cents of tax on it (hey, I was young and from a freakin' 5% state).

I also recall saying to myself "Man, this place would be sweet if it only had an Apple store". I'm pretty sure that's why I never went back.
  • Reply 8 of 15
    HURRAY!!! I knew there would be an Apple store at Brea Mall!! It was only a matter of time. Brea is one of the busiest malls in Orange County..way to go APPLE!
  • Reply 9 of 15
    benroethigbenroethig Posts: 2,782member
    Quote:

Originally posted by tripdragon

boo you suck apple. where the hell is a maine store :< i'm mad :<

As soon as every street corner in California has one.
  • Reply 10 of 15
    I don't think the Apple Sore time to open is correct for Burlington, MA. I have been slated to be one of the Geniuses there, and we don't even know when the store is going to open. I will be told in about 2 weeks from now, but as it stands the store is ETA at the mall yet is not yet known.
  • Reply 11 of 15
    I was at the burlington mall this weekend, and they already have the place boxed off with the writing printined on the walls saying "Coming Soon Apple Computer"
  • Reply 12 of 15
    Quote:

Originally posted by The General

I was at the burlington mall this weekend, and they already have the place boxed off with the writing printined on the walls saying "Coming Soon Apple Computer"

Yeah I know, but I've been told that it can be pushed back as far as Jan of next year if things don't go right in the next two weeks... so I'll keep you informed. When I know, I'll give people here a general idea.
  • Reply 13 of 15
    mynameheremynamehere Posts: 560member
    Hmm...this is sort of an oversaturation isn't it. As long as they stay profitable, it's probably a good idea, but with the amount of stores opening, how long are they going to stay profitable? After all, the Boston area already has at least on Apple store at the Galeria in Cambridge. Another one in Burlington and more on the South Shore seems like overkill, which could quickly become unprofitable.

What do you think?
  • Reply 14 of 15
    Quote:

Originally posted by mynamehere

Hmm...this is sort of an oversaturation isn't it. As long as they stay profitable, it's probably a good idea, but with the amount of stores opening, how long are they going to stay profitable? After all, the Boston area already has at least on Apple store at the Galeria in Cambridge. Another one in Burlington and more on the South Shore seems like overkill, which could quickly become unprofitable.

What do you think?

Not really, each one has a radius it can reach, if you look at the regions it's not too far fetched... look at Staples, or even CompUSA... they are even more populated than Apple is, and somehow they stay profitable... although I still don't know how.

In any case if you look at the area they cover, the one in Burlington covers just enough space to be profitable to most of the NE mass, the one in Cambridge takes care of the Boston Area, and the one in the south shore, well I think the name says it all.
  • Reply 15 of 15
    Well the store will be opening around November unless something comes up.