N.A.S.A.: "Oh... oh yeah; the moon."

Posted:
in AppleOutsider edited January 2014
T minus thirteen years and counting....

The moon by... 2018.

Talk about a goddamned Schedule Slip.

Lockheed of VentureStar fame is involved. Optimism is indeed high.

Prediction: Rutan & Company will be there to greet them.

V/R,

Aries 1B

Comments

• Reply 1 of 18
    To the moon, Alice!
  • Reply 2 of 18
    auroraaurora Posts: 1,142member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Aries 1B

T minus thirteen years and counting....

The moon by... 2018.

Talk about a goddamned Schedule Slip.

Lockheed of VentureStar fame is involved. Optimism is indeed high.

V/R,

Aries 1B

Venture star was nothing more then political pork,Nasa hands out millions and even billions of dollars on Projects that will never fly. X-33 was never ment to fly.It couldnt carry enough fuel to make orbit! it was all Pork. all show no go. Sort of like todays Nasa that cant make orbit. Meanwhile Shuttle even when sitting on the ground is draining Nasa of all initiative and $$$ to do much of anything. Only way we are going to get to Orbit on time and cheaply is if private sector does it. 100 Billion to make the Moon? I bet the private sector could do it for a billion. Nasa seems glued to stagnated Shuttle from the 70s. endless low orbit loops with little real science. Nothing that can launch on time. Please.
  • Reply 3 of 18
    outsideroutsider Posts: 6,008member
    Um, didn't we already do this in 69? When i was younger, I thought we were going to the moon on manned missions on a regular basis. Imagine my surprise, and disappointment, when I learned it only happened a few times (6 I think) until 72.
  • Reply 4 of 18
    Quote:

Originally posted by Outsider

Um, didn't we already do this in 69? When i was younger, I thought we were going to the moon on manned missions on a regular basis. Imagine my surprise, and disappointment, when I learned it only happened a few times (6 I think) until 72.

Space program has been lost in Low orbit ever since. Shuttle was and still is a huge gigantic Pork Project spread throughout the states. Space travel was secondary to spreading pork to all the Congressmans districts. Its time to Focus on Space travel,not pork. It will take someone like tSpace to break these strings. I have little faith in Nasa when it comes to new Spaceships.There is one bright hope and thats that Nasa is now being run by a science guy and not a !@#$%^&*G.D Politician!
  • Reply 5 of 18
    Quote:

Originally posted by Aurora

Space program has been lost in Low orbit ever since. Shuttle was and still is a huge gigantic Pork Project spread throughout the states. Space travel was secondary to spreading pork to all the Congressmans districts. Its time to Focus on Space travel,not pork. It will take someone like tSpace to break these strings. I have little faith in Nasa when it comes to new Spaceships.There is one bright hope and thats that Nasa is now being run by a science guy and not a !@#$%^&*G.D Politician!

Agreed.

IMO it'll take either a real visionary leader or a real fear of dwindling resources for us to reach for the stars again.
  • Reply 6 of 18
    powerdocpowerdoc Posts: 8,123member
    The only next big adventure for humans in space, will be a human travel to Mars.

The travel to the moon in 2018 is only interesting if it's a sort of real exercice for such greater acomplishments
  • Reply 7 of 18
    My dream job would be to design self sustaining colonies for other planets. Anyone hiring?
  • Reply 8 of 18
    The new proposal today released by Nasa looks pretty good. I like the idea of a cev on top of a solid booster and the idea of using a lot of the good stuff from the current "shuttle" and getting rid of the plane. It looks very good in my view. Lots of proven parts and most of this stuff is on the shelf now. I think they are being a little lazy on the time frame though. With so much sitting on the shelf now 2018 to make the moon seems like a long long time.
  • Reply 9 of 18
    aries 1baries 1b Posts: 1,009member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Aurora

The new proposal today released by Nasa looks pretty good. I like the idea of a cev on top of a solid booster and the idea of using a lot of the good stuff from the current "shuttle" and getting rid of the plane. It looks very good in my view. Lots of proven parts and most of this stuff is on the shelf now. I think they are being a little lazy on the time frame though. With so much sitting on the shelf now 2018 to make the moon seems like a long long time.

I thought that I read that the returning moon-vehicle (described as an Apollo Command Module on steroids) would enter the Earth's atmosphere and land either on land or at sea under a parachute.

Quite the advance! In the 46 years (my whole lifetime minus a year) between 1972 and 2018, N.A.S.A. will have raised the number of Astronauts bobbing in the ocean, waiting for the recovery fleet, from three at a time to four at a time...

... and will still be using a 'throw away' space craft (?).

Will the International Space Station play a roll in this effort? Or is it in the wrong orbit?

V/R,

Aries 1B
  • Reply 10 of 18
    Quote:

To the moon, Alice!

Good stuff...

Hmm, let's see here. $200,000,000 for the "war" on terror in Iraq, $50,000,000 for New Orleans and we are going to the moon because our science -loving administration thinks it's a good morale booster. Wow, just wow...
  • Reply 11 of 18
    Quote:

Originally posted by hardhead

Good stuff...

Hmm, let's see here. $200,000,000 for the "war" on terror in Iraq, $50,000,000 for New Orleans and we are going to the moon because our science -loving administration thinks it's a good morale booster. Wow, just wow...

Remember the American Tax payer is nothing more then a money tree for govt. Its pretty amazing to watch these republicans cut taxes and spend,spend,spend. I use to think the democrats were bad. Its pretty poor when you think of what we did in the 60s vs now. I guess one point can be made that we are the only nation to go the moon .....twice?
  • Reply 12 of 18
    Quote:

V/R,

Aries 1B

ROFLMAO - I'll meet you at the Rutan-Ritz-Hilton-Carlton on the moon Aries and we'll have a beverage while watching the Nasa landing....
  • Reply 13 of 18
    iposteriposter Posts: 1,560member
    Quote:

Along with the Chinese...

• Reply 14 of 18
    placeboplacebo Posts: 5,767member
    Before anyone says otherwise:

The moon landing was not faked.

Thank you.
  • Reply 15 of 18
    powerdocpowerdoc Posts: 8,123member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Placebo

Thank you.

Rubbish, the landing was true, but the moon do not exist, it's a fake. Every smart people know this ...
  • Reply 16 of 18
    Quote:

Originally posted by Powerdoc

Rubbish, the landing was true, but the moon do not exist, it's a fake. Every smart people know this ...

That's untrue; all smart people know that the moon is made of cheese. Even google backs me up on this: http://moon.google.com (zoom in as far as you can)
  • Reply 17 of 18
    Quote:

Originally posted by Placebo

Thank you.

oh yeah? than why the hell would NASA be going BACK there again if they really did it already 40 years ago ? there's no water, no oxygen, no propellant, just moon rocks and moon dust. WTF HELLO? NASA? MARS? with WATER on the polar ice caps? hello?

meh. f**k landing on the moon
  • Reply 18 of 18
    Quote:

Originally posted by mynamehere

That's untrue; all smart people know that the moon is made of cheese. Even google backs me up on this: http://moon.google.com (zoom in as far as you can)

good catch