iPhone clues in latest nano firware update? (+ weird findings)

24

Comments

  • amac4meamac4me Posts: 282member
    Interesting find.



    With WWDC around the corner, I wonder if the phone will be intro'd as part of Steve's famous "One More Thing" phrase.



    Given that WWDC is developer centric, what if Apple releases an API to allow either software to be ported to the device's OS and to allow third-party developers to write applications for the phone?
  • tednditedndi Posts: 1,921member
    Quote:

    Originally posted by amac4me

    Interesting find.



    With WWDC around the corner, I wonder if the phone will be intro'd as part of Steve's famous "One More Thing" phrase.



    Given that WWDC is developer centric, what if Apple releases an API to allow either software to be ported to the device's OS and to allow third-party developers to write applications for the phone?




    Here comes the apple smartphone!!



    Not a pda as steve is so fond of killing.



    And it gives Apple Dev's something else to work on.



    Why cede the field to M$?
  • peharripeharri Posts: 169member
    So an iTMS Movie rental service and an iPod phone at WWDC. I don't think so somehow That'd really piss the devs off.



    My guess is we're looking at one or two special consumer announcements over the next few months, assuming either rumour is true. And that needs to be taken with a big pinch of salt, as the firmware features look like something that would also be present in a version licensed to third parties who want to make phones similar in concept to the ROKR, only with an all Apple interface.



    Other possibilities might include something as simple as bluetooth support being present in an upcoming iPod. Bluetooth support could be as simple as "connects to your headset or car music system wirelessly" or it could be more advanced, and capable of, say, mediating between multiple devices that want your ear's attention. Think about it - you're listening to music on your BT headset, and then a phone call comes in. You'll want the iPod to stop playing and give the phone access without having to play around with settings and/or multiple headsets. Ship one stereo headset, with a microphone, and let the iPod control everything.



    I'm bringing these up because I'm not 100% convinced Apple will want to launch a phone. The phone business isn't remotely similar to the computer business, and it's not exactly a massive profit earner. I know everyone (well, almost everyone) wants an iPhone, but this is not an industry I'd want to touch if I were Apple. I would, however, want to cut down the barriers as much as possible so people do not see the whole "carrying multiple boxes" thing as a hinderance and simply go out and buy MP3 playing phones.
  • netdognetdog Posts: 244member
    If you don't believe that Apple will produce a device that includes a phone, perhaps you know something that Apple doesn't know, as evidenced by what was essentially an announcement by of an Apple phone at the 3Q financials meeting.
  • moracitymoracity Posts: 26member
    I'm thinking along your lines. I think these phone references may be direct wireless connectivity between iPod phones. I don't know if this would be builting bluetooth or an attachment. I too, am unconvinced that Apple will release a phone. I don't see any benefit to Apple in doing so.



    I'm also not convinced that there will be any major changes to the full-size iPods. I suspect that they may announce some capacity increases, but the major 6G revision will probably not be hard drive-based, will be as slim as the Nano and share the Nano firmware. It wouldn't surprise me if they consolidate to a single HDD iPod model with 150GB capacity and several Nanos with increased capacity: 32, 16, 8.



    Quote:

    Originally posted by peharri

    So an iTMS Movie rental service and an iPod phone at WWDC. I don't think so somehow That'd really piss the devs off.



    My guess is we're looking at one or two special consumer announcements over the next few months, assuming either rumour is true. And that needs to be taken with a big pinch of salt, as the firmware features look like something that would also be present in a version licensed to third parties who want to make phones similar in concept to the ROKR, only with an all Apple interface.



    Other possibilities might include something as simple as bluetooth support being present in an upcoming iPod. Bluetooth support could be as simple as "connects to your headset or car music system wirelessly" or it could be more advanced, and capable of, say, mediating between multiple devices that want your ear's attention. Think about it - you're listening to music on your BT headset, and then a phone call comes in. You'll want the iPod to stop playing and give the phone access without having to play around with settings and/or multiple headsets. Ship one stereo headset, with a microphone, and let the iPod control everything.



    I'm bringing these up because I'm not 100% convinced Apple will want to launch a phone. The phone business isn't remotely similar to the computer business, and it's not exactly a massive profit earner. I know everyone (well, almost everyone) wants an iPhone, but this is not an industry I'd want to touch if I were Apple. I would, however, want to cut down the barriers as much as possible so people do not see the whole "carrying multiple boxes" thing as a hinderance and simply go out and buy MP3 playing phones.




  • ghstmarsghstmars Posts: 140member
    There is only one person that can shed light to all this ..... HARALD...!!

    where are you ? Any hints? ... HARALD?!...
  • rhumgodrhumgod Posts: 1,289member
    I can see the iPod diverging into two distinct products. A phone/mp3 player (aka, Nano) and the video models (actually growing in size, larger screens, etc for iTMS movie rentals - aka iPod). Shuffle is discoed as price difference will become moot.
  • netdognetdog Posts: 244member
    I think they'll all have video, though I agree in that their are and will be models with larger screens that are oriented toward viewing video.



    That said, the phones will have video too.



    Whether there is really a need for video on these devices has yet to be demonstrated. I don't know of anyone who spends much time watching video on their iPods, though I am sure there are a few for whom this is a great feature. Still, the bulk of them are sold as music players, and there is yet to be a portable video device that has been sold in huge numbers for that purpose.



    Of course, how we might actually use video capabilities on a portable device might not have even been conceived as of yet. Then again, we may just never really want or need to watch video on a pocket device.
  • tednditedndi Posts: 1,921member
    I watch video on my ipod. When I am traveling.
  • netdognetdog Posts: 244member
    Right. As I said, I am sure that some put the video to good use. That said, I see tons of people in London with white buds in their ears, but never see anybody watching their iPod.
  • b3ns0nb3ns0n Posts: 95member
    I don't see them ever getting rid of the pure MP3 player in the nano form-factor, either, though. Many people have different phones (even those capable of playing music) but still prefer the ease of use and simplicity of a separate device.
  • tednditedndi Posts: 1,921member
    Quote:

    Originally posted by netdog

    Right. As I said, I am sure that some put the video to good use. That said, I see tons of people in London with white buds in their ears, but never see anybody watching their iPod.



    That's because in London you have to watch out for traffic going the wrong way!!



  • jasondotcomjasondotcom Posts: 36member
    iPhone video advert here: http://www.mobilewhack.com/reviews/a...e_or_real.html



    Undoubtedly a fake but quite an elaborate one.
  • peharripeharri Posts: 169member
    Quote:

    Originally posted by netdog

    If you don't believe that Apple will produce a device that includes a phone, perhaps you know something that Apple doesn't know, as evidenced by what was essentially an announcement by of an Apple phone at the 3Q financials meeting.



    At this point, there's no official confirmation either way. The comment that's being interpreted as meaning Apple has "announced" a phone just said that Apple is aware of the competition and plans to have something to deal with it.



    That could be a phone. It could be a device that ensures iPods happily coexist with phones and which has clear advantages over phone-integrated devices. It could mean a licensing system. It could be a patent lawsuit for all I know.



    I'm not ruling out Apple selling a phone, but I'm not seeing the evidence that's been posted as confirming *anything*. What I am seeing is a lot of wishful thinking, and a lot of people interpreting anything phone related through a filter of wishful thinking.



    As it stands, the "messages in the firmware" thing doesn't, actually, make a lot of sense as evidence of a phone. To assume this is what it is, we have to assume that Apple is extending an MP3 player to incorporate mobile phone technology, or else using MP3 player firmware as the basis of a cellphone operating system. Does anyone else not think that's slightly odd?



    Leave aside the need to either team up with a carrier, or sell unsubsidized, unlocked, phones to markets historically anti-such things, or to create a full blown MVNO, an industry completely unlike anything Apple's done before and one with plenty of competitors (competitors who'd offer a variety of phones, not just one.) Just focussing on the design of this one. A mobile phone that uses an MP3 player as the front-end. Uh-huh.



    Not impossible, but definitely strange.
  • irelandireland Posts: 15,528member
    Quote:

    Originally posted by peharri

    Leave aside the need to either team up with a carrier, or sell unsubsidized, unlocked, phones to markets historically anti-such things, or to create a full blown MVNO, an industry completely unlike anything Apple's done before and one with plenty of competitors (competitors who'd offer a variety of phones, not just one.) Just focussing on the design of this one. A mobile phone that uses an MP3 player as the front-end. Uh-huh.



    Not impossible, but definitely strange.




    Before Apple entered the mp3 player market, they had never done it before. Before Boot Camp, they had never done that before. Before a lot of stuff, they were virgins to things. The registered iPhone.org in '99, so what? Peter Oppenheimers latest quote about cellphones, so what? Then those strings of clues found in iPod software update, so what?. If you actually think Apple is not actually working on a phone, I think your crazy. If Apple actually is not working on a phone, then Apple is crazy.



    Conclusion: Apple are logical folk, and for logical folk this is a logical next step. This makes too much sense not to be true. All signs point to yes, my gut and numerous clues and facts tell me this also. Whether it will be called "iPhone" or "iPod Phone", you can rest assured it's coming, it's most definitely coming.
  • blackbird_1.0blackbird_1.0 Posts: 724member
    Quote:

    Originally posted by Ireland

    Conclusion: Apple are logical folk, and for logical folk this is a logical next step. This makes too much sense not to be true. All signs point to yes, my gut and numerous clues and facts tell me this also. Whether it will be called "iPhone" or "iPod Phone", you can rest assured it's coming, it's most definitely coming.



    I somewhat agree.
  • SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 24,458member
    Just keep in mind Apple's historically buggy 1st version of any new hardware. I'd give it a year or more.
  • netdognetdog Posts: 244member
    Quote:

    Conclusion: Apple are logical folk, and for logical folk this is a logical next step. This makes too much sense not to be true. All signs point to yes, my gut and numerous clues and facts tell me this also. Whether it will be called "iPhone" or "iPod Phone", you can rest assured it's coming, it's most definitely coming. [/B]



    I agree. Like the meshing of computers that don't look like computers into home media centers (Tivo, for example), phones, PDAs and portable music players are clearly one of the current stages of convergence. The caveat is that, much like the state of portable music players before Apple introduced the iPod, nobody has made a very good convergent portable device as described above that has either captured our collective imagination or given us outstanding function and form. Apple is just the company to do that, and they will do it. The writing is on the wall, and in the call and the updater code.
  • dutch peardutch pear Posts: 588member
    Quote:

    Originally posted by Ireland

    Conclusion: Apple are logical folk, and for logical folk this is a logical next step. This makes too much sense not to be true. All signs point to yes, my gut and numerous clues and facts tell me this also. Whether it will be called "iPhone" or "iPod Phone", you can rest assured it's coming, it's most definitely coming.



    Yes YES! Make me believe 'cause I want one!!
  • philbotphilbot Posts: 240member
    This is nice:



    Lg 8500
Sign In or Register to comment.