News flash: Apple confirms media event

Comments

• Reply 121 of 229
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by cactus

just picked up 30 shares of AAPL. i have a very strong outlook on the next 6 months.

Hey come on, 30 shares Don't get me wrong, but 30 shares...

Say 300 and we're in business. It is a win-win situation, and you're

good advised just to add another 0 to your purchase.
  • Reply 122 of 229
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by JimDreamworx

What better way to watch movies than on a 23" iMac?

A 40" HD MacTV?

• Reply 123 of 229
    cosmonutcosmonut Posts: 4,872member
    I'm thinking .Mac is going to have some kind of part in this announcement, too. It's that time of year where Apple updates .Mac to get people to renew. And, it's a subscription service.
  • Reply 124 of 229
    OK, the 24 inch iMac and the updated mini's have arrived allready. So what hardware should we expect now for the 12th???

Headless and upgradable Apple media centers? that would nicely shut up all the headless whiners

Exciting times these are
  • Reply 125 of 229
    Surely it will be new (completely new design) Macbook Pro's with Core 2 Duo, plus all the other stuff, and maybe something new?

iMac - done

Mac mini - done

Mac Pro - brand new and only just shipping

Macbook Pro- not changed much in 9 months

macbook - not very old but might be up for new Core 2 Duo as well

Cinema displays - just refreshed with new panels so no change

Airport/Airport Express - Definitely something big here, these are now seriously out of date and overpriced. My guess is pre-N stuff with fully update-able firmware to the final spec.
  • Reply 126 of 229
    shanmugamshanmugam Posts: 1,200member
    MacBook Pro with Merom!!!

bring it on APPLE ...
  • Reply 127 of 229
    backtomacbacktomac Posts: 4,579member
    iPHONE!!!!!
  • Reply 128 of 229
    sjksjk Posts: 603member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bikertwin

Sorry, that sounds so familiar but I can't remember which Pixar movie that was from?

"It's Showtime!"

Crap! You triggered Jim Carrey's voice in my head repeating that very familiar Stanley Ipkiss line from The Mask.
  • Reply 129 of 229
    It has to be .

There is no other quality device to watch movies on...

Just like LG but with Airport built in...

• Reply 130 of 229
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by European guy

It has to be .

There is no other quality device to watch movies on...

Just like LG but with Airport built in...

No way. Apple will go for something everyone can buy. Apple doesn't want to supply make TVs or projectors. They want you to use your TV or projector with their thing. The iPod works well because it's standalone. It works with any Windows or Mac computer, any headphones, any speakers, etc.
  • Reply 131 of 229
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ZachPruckowski

No way. Apple will go for something everyone can buy. Apple doesn't want to supply make TVs or projectors. They want you to use your TV or projector with their thing. The iPod works well because it's standalone. It works with any Windows or Mac computer, any headphones, any speakers, etc.

I understand your point.

But look at Airport Express.

It has Audio out so you can connect to your speakers and Optical out so you can connect to your favorite high end DAC.

I see Showtime as a full product (and , Yes, I think it will be called Showtime) and nothing to do with a iPod except maybe for an iPod Dock built in.

Showtime will have NOTHING to do with iPod. IMHO.

It will be a complete Movie watching product.

I still think it will be a complete movie playback device ( thus including projector) but also,

- Optical Out

- HDMI out

I imagine a Airport Express device ( bigger and with the buitin projector) and this full array of connectivity and video passthrough.

Of course , this is whishful thinking, but i bet iPod WILL NOT be a component in this new Apple Eco System.
  • Reply 132 of 229
    cosmonutcosmonut Posts: 4,872member
    I can't help but think whatever gets released Tuesday might be another iPod hi-fi-like device. Sure, the iPods might get a bump in storage and a "movie store" may be announced, but I have a feeling Apple might release some spiffy little portable LCD display that your iPod can dock into and watch movies. A video companion to the hi-fi, if you will. Set them both up in your dorm and you've got a spiffy little movie watching station.
  • Reply 133 of 229
    Since we are speculating - Disney-like device that downloads hi-def over UHF from iTMS, that can stream to any Mac or directly connect to an HDTV (or receiver) via HDMI. It will run FrontRow for accessing other network media as well as iTMS and stored movies.
  • Reply 134 of 229
    OK, so now Amazon.com's download service is up and running and we can see that their download size is 2.2GB... What do you say now about DVD quality vs HD vs what Apple will do?

\
  • Reply 135 of 229
    tednditedndi Posts: 1,921member
    I am making plastics

• Reply 136 of 229
    shanmugamshanmugam Posts: 1,200member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by shanmugam

my guess

1. Movie related annoucement (is it enough for a Event?) so

new iPod as well

2. iMac 23" annoucement

3. any (one) more thing?

(MacBook Pro, MacBook Mac Mini may be updated in the background in the apple store)

since iMac 24" Released

my guess

1. Movie Download

2. MacBook Pro with C2D Merom

3. Surprise MacBook with C2D Merom also

4. iPhone (iPod Nano+Phone )

5. True Video iPod

and one more thing

6. Mac Cube or Just a Mac

7. Mac Tablet???

three more days to go!
  • Reply 137 of 229
    murkmurk Posts: 935member
    Cringley raises the specter of Rolo, predicts 2 televisions....http://www.pbs.org/cringely/pulpit/pulpit20060907.html
  • Reply 138 of 229
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by CosmoNut

I can't help but think whatever gets released Tuesday might be another iPod hi-fi-like device. ....

Can't help either, ... but i thought the same.

Wild educated guess: iPod HiFi with wireless video streaming capability. No?

Btw there is the gorgeous Hermstedt Hifidelio, which is basically a wireless

music center. Heck here you go another guess: Hifedelio meets Movies

meets iPod HiFi. All composed around gorgeous white plastic.

What about that?
  • Reply 139 of 229
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    I'm just hoping that all of this rampant speculation here, and elsewhere, won't lead to a severe disappointment.
  • Reply 140 of 229
    tednditedndi Posts: 1,921member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by murk

Cringley raises the specter of Rolo, predicts 2 televisions....http://www.pbs.org/cringely/pulpit/pulpit20060907.html

Wow, If Cringly is right we owe ROLO an apology.