or Connect

Posts by Gatorguy

Read it again, paying particular attention to the paragraph preceeding your clip."In its complaint, the FTC charged that for several months in 2011 and 2012, Google placed a certain advertising tracking cookie on the computers of Safari users who visited sites within Google’s DoubleClick advertising network, although Google had previously told these users they would automatically be opted out of such tracking, as a result of the default settings of the Safari browser used...
Look at the FTC ruling itself. Ignoring user settings had nothing to do with the fine. That came because Google offered faulty advice on how to avoid ad tracking for Safari users Because of sloppy reporting and click-bait headlines a lot of readers here and elsewhere got bad info.http://www.ftc.gov/news-events/press-releases/2012/08/google-will-pay-225-million-settle-ftc-charges-it-misrepresented
The fine was not for bypassing settings. that was OK. They got dinged for improperly stating that Safari users didn't need to do anything else to avoid tracking which the FTC deemed misleading. So how did the FTC arrive at that conclusion? Because it was misleading. Less charitable readers might call it dishonest.But bypassing settings in and of itself wasn't an issue for enforcement agencies. There was no obligation, legal or otherwise, to respect the user wishes,...
FWIW Microsoft's own Bing was also ignoring user settings for "Do Not Track". Earlier this year Yahoo rannouncedthey will ignore it from now on. Do Not track is not mandated by law and is widely ignored by thousands of advertisers, websites and data trackers. If they aren't going to put teeth in it why bother with a voluntary request? For show."Nadim Kobeissi, security researcher, describes the Do Not Track standard of the W3C as dangerous. 'In fact, Google's search...
Mel I'd swear if I didn't know better you make some of it up as you go. I haven't seen a targeted Google ad in a long time. Why? I opted out just as you can and it's easy as can be. If you don't know where to look open your favorite browser and type in opt out of Google ads [[SPOILER]] FWIW too Apple's ad settings are not opt-in but rather opt-out for those that know to look for it. I'm not quibbling with that either as they have business reasons to do so but it's silly...
That was funny in an earlier thread. A reprisal is never as funny as the original.
Here's Apple's Privacy Policy and Google's for comparison. Sure looks like they collect the same types of information and have the right to use it in the same manner.http://www.apple.com/privacy/privacy-policy/http://www.google.com/policies/privacy/Is Google collection on a greater scale? Little doubt in my mind that they are. Afterall they're a search company first and foremost and offering the most pertinent results is pretty useful for the searcher. Understanding what...
Example. Here is the pertinent data retention disclosure for the only company you imply doesn't store old customer communications and data:"Integrity and Retention of Personal InformationApple makes it easy for you to keep your personal information accurate, complete, and up to date. We will retain your personal information for the period necessary to fulfill the purposes outlined in this Privacy Policy unless a longer retention period is required or permitted by law." So...
In iOS 8 Apple added additional user tracking capabilities to assist advertisers, so they've started down the slope. The old "if you're not the customer you're the product" meme is going to have a very short shelf life.
How long do most companies keep data after you've deleted it? Is it ever really deleted from any company servers? Honest question for you Mel, but my personal answer would be no whether it's Google, Microsoft, Apple, or Facebook. I suspect there's always backups. In addition some of those companies I mentioned offer no indication of "what they know" or a method of correcting or deleting it AFAIK. Google at least makes an attempt at transparency which you should be...