or Connect

Posts by Gatorguy

Probably wrong except perhaps for some very specific implementation. Tokenization standards were set by PCI (Payment Card Industry group). Apple is playing by the rules they established, adding their own special flourishes of course. But because all these mobile payment solutions will have to adhere to PCI requirements they are all going to work in similar ways and look quite similar as well. I'm not 100% certain but I think even color schemes have been addressed by PCI.
I had forgotten about LoopPay, and wouldn't have noted any advantage to it anyway until AI mentioned it. Sounds like something Apple might figure a way of designing in themselves as on the surface (Not MS )it does sound advantageous.
http://www.digitaltrends.com/mobile/google-play-may-be-back-in-china-soon/BTW that particular article to me looks to be based on a translation of an original report from China I had read earlier.
On a slightly related note there's industry chatter that Google may be returning to the China market, first by rolling out a new official China Google Play Store with the governments blessing. Rumor says it happens sometime this year. If it does and Google joins Apple, Microsoft, and other big techs there cue the hypocrisy claims.
No sir. PCI told Apple what they would have to do to make it work. It's their rules on security and payment handling that Apple has to comply with. The banks, just a part of PCI, and Apple had to get together to agree on how to divvy up the money and promotion IMO. It was going to happen one way or another. They did a great job with the roll-out too! Much better than Google Wallet/Android Pay could have put together. I'm sure they're happy as can be to ride in on Apple's...
Apple didn't get the banks to design the supporting back-end either, nor push them to support the token system. The Payment Card Industry Security Standards Council did that. PCI has been working on the standards for years and tokens are a compliance requirement to meet the standards. Apple Pay was designed to comply with PCI requirements not the other way around. That's why Android Pay, Samsung Pay and others will all generally work the same way with the same general...
Soli, I would think it was pretty obvious to you that Google Wallet used tokens from day one. Your CC details were never shared with the retailer, instead storing payment credentials within a hardware-based secure element on the phone itself with a "token" replacing the card number just as Apple does today. How else to handshake with the SE if not for tokens?Eventually Google Wallet moved from an SE implementation to Host-card Emulation (HCE) tho. Why? The carriers had...
Soli, I don't think you're remembering this correctly. This is the original press release announcing Google Wallet a little over four years ago . Notice the partnershttp://newsroom.mastercard.com/press-releases/google-citi-mastercard-first-data-and-sprint-team-up-to-make-your-phone-your-wallet/Note too that as originally envisioned it really quite similar to what Apple Pay is, particularly on an iPhone without fingerprint reader. TBH Google Wallet's biggest problem was...
Same here. Everyone I knew used a Blackberry or a flip-phone. Mostly Blackberry Curves/Pearls just before the iPhone got hot. TBH the Curve was a fine phone, and the holster with the mag clasp it came with was my favorite of all time.I did come across a list circa 2007 listing the top-selling phones that Spring, just about the time the iPhone first hit the stores.1. Motorola RAZR (all colors)2. BlackBerry Pearl (all colors)3. LG Chocolate (all colors)4. Samsung A900M5....
This is an example of where Alphabet creating separate companies, each with their own management teams and business plans, may bring more stockholder value and new revenue opportunities. LifeSciences, previously under the Google X Labs, is ready to stand on it's own feet and already attracting new interest according to this blog: https://medium.com/backchannel/buried-in-the-wordplay-life-sciences-graduates-from-google-x-146d221c5732 "The flagship venture at Life Sciences...