or Connect

Posts by Hornet

Can you get any more exxxtreme? Quartz Extreme was first shown at WWDC last year, using the GPU of current video cards to accelerate various tasks with relation to quartz blah blah. Now that a year has nearly elapsed, do you think apple can do any further work on QE? eg accelerate 2D with QE? (vs compositing like now). Will pixel shaders be used to do anything useful, as most modern graphics cards support pixel shaders. Frankly if 10.3 delivers two things, I will be...
I have been researching this a lot lately, as I am considering buying a Ti15 before they are reved if they are going to be rev'd soon (ie an Al15, with the al enclosure, ddr ram, fw800 and a geforce 440 go). As a 3d animation student, the power of the video card is of particular importance for viewing scenes etc that are rendered in opengl within the creation process (vs the final render which is all cpu based). Also I am a gamer, so there is an added importance again ...
OK I did a big combined list (had 20mins spare ) of all the facts I could think of, from other lists, and other info from this thread. the official 103 reasons why a mac is better than a pc 1. Real Plug and Play: USB works without hassle. Plug and play, not plug and pray! (win 95 -> winXP, still the same) 2. Fewer security holes. 3. Stability: Mac OS X NEVER crashes!!! 4. No .dll hell 5. No Windows Product Activation 6. Drag and drop - very poorly supported...
Read 2 posts down [ 08-22-2002: Message edited by: Hornet ]

69. Mac help can actually help
aha. true 68. Instant on for laptops. Friggin cool on my friends TiG4, my mums P3 notebook takes about 10-15 seconds to go into sleep, and several to come out of it. Ti goes in and out of it in under a second!
OK, I copied/pasted all the replies, ordered them all (there were huge gaps in the numbers, re numbered them), and removed duplicate/joke advantages. So here we go! 1: Mac OS X NEVER crashes!!! 2. No .dll hell. 3. No Windows Product Activation 4: No crappy support. 5: HUGE selection of free software 6: No WinXP! 7. Drag and drop - very poorly supported in windows 8. USB works without hassle. Plug and play, not plug and pray! (win 95 -> winXP, still the same) 9. I...
Yes I'll be waiting until whenever the next powermac update is, basically. It will be due for one in jan/feb/march, but the earlier the better. Just hope I don't have to wait until next august OK so buying maya is a ripoff then. hmmm. I think my uni uses maya and lightwave. Does lightwave make use of MP? Also, slightly off topic and more directed at the 3D users (there seem to be a few here in this thread), if price was not an issue (ie uni giving me the software to...
Right... so for the powermacs to be better for 3D than they are now, its the bus that really needs the boost (DDR's bus). Interesting, thanks I'm buying in Jan, before uni starts in March (AU). So hopefully the bottom model will have a superdrive and maybe a faster bus, and it'll all be sweet!
[quote]Originally posted by Leonis: But I am going to do 'more' video in the next 6 months But......I still don't see any need for me to jump yet. Better wait for next year
Leonis, I am curious to know. I am going to uni next year, doing a course in digital media on 3D animation, DV, imagery, sound etc. For me, 3D and DV are the things I like best Why do you say that the current macs are good for DV, but not 3D?...