or Connect

Posts by aspenboy

But they are spending $200 billion to buy back shares, presumably from the cash (both domestic and foreign).  Why couldn't they have spent the same $200 billion to pay a large dividend.  I'm assuming they either wait for repatriation holiday or continue to borrow to fund the dividend.  
According to this link on Nasdaq.com (http://www.nasdaq.com/article/qualified-vs-unqualified-dividends-cm184991), the holding period is less than 1 year for qualified dividends.  The above description is a little convoluted, but I guess there's a 120 day window that is 60 days before and 60 days after the ex-dividend date and if you hold the stock for more than 60 days in that window your dividends will be "qualified" and taxed at the long-term capital gains rate.
I would be surprised that if a solid blue chip stock like AAPL paid a dividend that exceeded that of any other low-risk investment (e.g. >4-5%), it's share price wouldn't rise as everyone would want to buy and hold it, especially large institutional investors and thus raise the share price.  If the rate was higher (like 10%), I would think it would be a slam dunk.   But I'm open to hearing why this may not be the case and point out flaws in my logic. . . 
I've said this before in other post comments, but I wouldn't mind a higher dividend.  I know Apple has prioritized buybacks to dividends.  But if they kept their cash pile the same (at 200+billion) and just directed future profits into dividends (~$10/share), it would be a substantial increase over current dividend ($2/share).  At current prices, this would be ~8% dividend yield, which I think lots of people would buy and hold, thereby raising the price (and lowering the...
why doesn't apple spend the billions on dividends, which will reward long-term shareholders. If they spent $10/share dividends (this would amount to $56 billion, this would be around a 8.7% yield at the current share price. Everyone and their grandmother would buy and hold the shares just to get a constant quarterly dividends and it wouldn't matter as much that the share price isn't really moving much. Given people's concerns about the long-term prospects for overall...
Looking forward to seeing what sort of apps are available on the AppleTV. Hoping I can maybe replace an Amazon Fire TV stick with an AppleTV.
the price of aapl shares is so disconnected from fundatmentals that if the outstanding shares dropped by 25%, I wonder if the share price would rise at all.    
They have 60 million subscribers which if we assume 70% are on smartphones then that is 42 million smartphone subscribers. If we assume that they will all upgrade to a new smartphone in the next 3 years then we have 42*40%/3 = 5.6 million iphones sold per year. If they all upgrade over 2 years that's an addition 8 million iphones sold per year. Apple sold aroudn 125 million iPhones in 2012 so this can be a significant addition.
I have an unlocked iPhone on Platinumtel (which runs on tmobile network) and my wife has her non-unlocked iphone on Talkforgood (verizon network).  These smaller carriers are great for low-cost and low-usage iphone plans (<$20/month).
I'm sure that Google maps will prove to be one of the most popular (if not THE most popular app on the app store) for quite some time. That said, I think most iPhone users will be fine with the stock apple maps. 10 million downloads out of 400 million iOS devices is small. Even if that number climbs to 100 million downloads, it still won't make up the majority of iOS users. And many of those downloads will be used maybe once or twice and then put into a folder in case...