or Connect

Posts by ankleskater

Maybe this isn't the packaging. Maybe this is the widely rumored plastic back of the new iPhone. C stands for camera - the extra thickness accommodates some high-falluting optics that will make the Lumia 1020 look amateurish.
Almost none? Wouldn't that be true only for cases where either aesthetics does not matter or the design includes an automatically trimmed gate.
Indeed. That was my point - using aluminum makes the process more complicated but there should not be more scratches as a result if the shop was well run. To be fair, the manufacturing volume probably overwhelmed Foxconn.   Assuming 5S + 5C >> 5 + 4S + 4, can Foxconn plus a secondary assembly shop keep up? If so, with Samsung also still selling Galaxy S phones like hotcakes, how much manufacturing capacity is left for others? This is perhaps one of the challenges facing...
I think it is also an SEC violation for someone to be on the executive team of two companies. So he can't run Microsoft and be a Sr VP at Apple. :)
To keep Bob around, Cook promised him like $500M bonus. The only way to pay him is to send him where Apple stores its cash - Ireland. 
Oh brother, bringing up personal history (imagined or otherwise) and generalizing. Two clear signs of logical failure. Just a reminder - we were talking about whether using aluminum would lead to more scratches in a well-run assembly shop.  Never mind, I'm done cleaning the floor with you.
Likely. Lest we forget, however, that there many been case manufacturers who committed to injection molding new iPhone cases based on speculated dimensions, only to have to throw them all out.
That happened in mid 2011, likely during manufacturing of iPads rather than iP5? Regardless, it has nothing to do with design complexity.
What you notice to be obvious.   As I explained to MStone above, a properly run assembly line can handle any material with a very low rate of scratches. This is not an aluminum v. plastic issue.    It is true plastic would be easier and cheaper for the manufacturing process. Scratches simply should not an issue.   But I understand what you saying - the real facts are not obvious to you.
It may be a pain to manufacture. But you're mixed up about the aluminum.   True, aircraft or 7075 aluminum is tougher. But you can hard-anodize 6061 aluminum just as easily. And 6061 aluminum comes in T6 variety too. So your comparison just wasn't fair or valid.   You do raise a good point about hard anodizing. The iPhone 5 back does not appear to be hard-anodized. In such situations, this is undesirable because it messes up tolerances. But the anodized surface is not...