or Connect

Posts by SmileyDude

Midnight in one part of the world is noon in another -- since it launched simultaneously across the world, someone is going to have to put up with a 3 AM launch while someone else gets to order it over their lunch break.
 I know you were saying this in a snarky way in regards to getting coverage on the news, but personally I prefer for them to have a large launch than a slow trickle of devices over a few months.  It is very frustrating to want to buy a new piece of tech and then be turned away day after day because they only got a couple of devices in their daily shipment.  This way at least gives most people a fighting chance to get a device on launch day. I'm sure that getting on the...
 It may just be that I'm more sensitive to tearing, but I've been able to notice it quite a bit, especially in games and especially on larger displays (like the 27" TB/iMac displays). Very rarely will every frame render in an even multiple of the display rate.  There are just too many variables.  But having the display hold the previous frame until the next is ready completely gets rid of the tearing problem. It also should lead to better battery life as the GPU won't have...
 Of all the displays I have one my Apple devices, the 15" rMBP display is by far the nicest looking of them, followed by the 3rd gen iPad (the color/pixel density combination on the larger retina iPads are quite amazing) and then my Thunderbolt display.   Even though the TB display has a lower pixel density than every other Apple display I have at the moment, from where I have it sitting on my desk relative to my eyes, I can't make out individual pixels.   What's really...
 I finally made the plunge to a 15" MBP with this latest update and it's pretty close to perfect for my needs.  In the past 5 years, I've had 5 different machines -- Late 2009 27" i5 iMac, Late 2010 11" MBA, Mid 2011 27" i7 iMac, 2012 i7 Mac mini, and the Mid-2014 15" rMBP (configured the same as in this article).  The rMBP is by far my favorite Mac ever (the history goes further back than those five machines).  Combined with a Thunderbolt display, I get the screen size of...
 I'm not against paying more for a better product, but that doesn't sound at all what you are advocating.  If Apple simply charged more for the mini without any changes to it, it would be just raising the price for no purpose other than profit.  Unless you are an investor in Apple or work at Apple (which probably would put you in the first category), I can't see why anyone would entertain that line of thought. Quality over quantity is fine -- increased profits for the sake...
     I'm not exactly sure of what you are getting at here... are you actually arguing for Apple to *raise* their prices on a product?  Where is the written rule that larger must also be more powerful?  There are people who value both power and size and would prefer not to have to get a bigger machine just to get the same performance/storage options. The mini already has some disadvantages that merit it's lower price -- the screen quality is not as good as the Air or even...
Remember last year when all the rumors said the mini would use a different chip than the Air? Here we go again...
 I think you might be romanticizing old tech here a bit.  I'm just as guilty at that myself at times -- I have an Apple IIe setup on my desk here at home, for example.  It's fun to play with old tech every once in a while -- I have fond memories of spending lots of time on the Apple IIs at school and in the library, along with even more time on my Atari 1200XL at home. But to claim things were actually *better* when we had only 4MB of RAM is pushing it.  Just think about...
Given that the DRAM has always been stacked on top of the A series chip, why would this schematic mean one thing or the other for any particular device? There certainly isn't any reason why Apple couldn't go with 2GB on an iPad and 1GB on an iPhone.  This could even be a version for an iPod touch or an Apple TV for all we know.