or Connect

Posts by SmileyDude

You misspelled coupon there at the end.
You can certainly feel anger at whatever you choose, but personally, I feel there are enough things that actually deserve my anger than for me to start finding new things to be angry about. Did Apple make a promise to have a monitor with more than one input? If so, I might be angry if they decided to break that promise -- especially if I had been making plans based on that promise.  But since they never made such a promise, I can only really be disappointed about them not...
 I just had to look on my work 24" Cinema Display -- I had never really noticed the sleep button on it or missed having one on my 27" at home.  Both displays sleep when the machine sleeps, so no big deal to me.  I have the machine setup to sleep after a reasonable amount of time and I can always go choose Sleep from the Apple menu if I really wanted to.  
Anger? Really? If you need more than one input then clearly you just need to look at different monitors.  It doesn't anger me that other companies don't make displays like the Thunderbolt Display where I can hook up two cables to my MacBook Pro and have everything work. And honestly, I don't think Apple would hold anything against you for not buying their display.  They clearly have designed their machines to work with more than just their own displays -- my MacBook and my...
We are splitting hairs here. Of course Apple is providing 16GB of storage on the device. That's not at all in question. But what isn't obvious is that of that 16GB, there is a chunk dedicated to the OS, another chunk dedicated to a recovery partition, some more lost in overhead, etc, etc.  It's obvious to people like us who frequent tech sites and have lived with this stuff for years. But for most people, it's not at all obvious.  I have to explain this all the time to...
Where does the adequate research end? The box says 16GB of storage. A reasonable expectation is that it would hold 16GB of files. When I bought a refrigerator, it listed it's capacity in cubic feet. That capacity wasn't reduced by the motor and other internals -- that was already taken out of the listed capacity. At some point the consumer has to trust the manufacturer -- should they have to know how much space *could* be taken up by a future OS update? There is no way for...
So you are arguing that everyone should know the intricate tech details about how things they use everyday work down to minutia like filesystems and GB vs GiB?  Do you even practice that yourself? What about outside of computers? Do you know exactly how your refrigerator works? Do you know all the details about how car works? People shouldn't have to become experts in everything. Just because someone doesn't know as much as you do about their phone doesn't mean they are...
 Why would this person keep buying 16GB iOS devices if they are a problem? Clearly they know that storage space is an issue they keep bumping into. Why aren't they buying the next storage tier up? As for the overall merit of this case, even though it's obvious to us techies that the OS is going to take up some of the space, along with overhead for the filesystem and the advertised space in GB vs GiB, it's not obvious at all to most people.  I think it would be a good idea...
 Actually, there are plenty of cheap devices out there that plug into Thunderbolt devices, since it shares the same physical connector with Mini DisplayPort. And while someone might scoff at getting an uncertified Thunderbolt device, most people wouldn't really give much thought to a cheap Mini DisplayPort to VGA adapter for that occasional time they need to connect to a projector.  Also most people wouldn't give much thought to using the adapter that was already plugged...
 It is extra -- $129 to get the keyboard.  Add that to the base price (for a 64GB SSD, i3 @ 1.5GHz, 4GB of RAM) of $799, and you end up at $928 for the combo.  Which is $29 more than the low end MBA (128GB SSD, i5 @ 1.4GHz, 4GB of RAM).  Do they even realize what they are comparing themselves to? Making it worse, the i3 in the Surface Pro doesn't even support TurboBoost, so it never goes above 1.5GHz, while the MBA's i5 will turbo up to 2.7GHz. The GPU in the i5 is...