or Connect

Posts by bandalay

Mine's on its way…
Netpad? Doesn't the "pad" derive from a diminuitive input area (ie: subordinate to a notebook)? There's also a whiff of stylus input from the days of Newton The "Net" certainly connects it to the new NetBook phenom which has quickly come to mean cheap and light, though Apple/Jobs have been quick to distance themselves from it. I think we might have to start putting air quotes around uses of the "Internet" pretty soon (a la Dr. Evil's "lay-zer"). A larger form factor...
HAL9000: I can't agree with you Dave……but I can see where you're coming from. Here's what I was trying to point out:A "reader" focussed product like the one I described could be sub-$200, and would have outstanding battery life, and dispplay. Add those beefy processors and you're right back to it being a battery-hungry laptop again that costs $4-500+. I think it's time to take some of the computer out of the device.We're seeing a point in time when computing's first real...
to read from while I ate a bowl of cold cereal, i was struck by how much the experience resembled this scene from 2001: So…howzabout a much bigger screen (oled for lightness), same processor (plus some extra co-processing GPU oomph for the increased video), and rest of the case is all large, flat battery. VNC from my touch is reasonably responsive over wifi, I could see easily controlling other machines (a la screensharing) if only I had a larger viewport. If...
…accessing huge retail exposure. WalMart has what, 3000+ locations in North America? Everyone is wandering around saying "what is Apple doing in WalMart?", but I would bet we haven't seen the product or strategy intended for it yet. While WalMart seems the antithesis to Apple's boutique retail strategy, they would be the ultimate launch vehicle for an all out assault on a weakening Wintel hegemony. The inital post-Christmas iPhone launch fits neatly between Christmas...
You know you can get those repaired. My mother in law just had her logic board replaced, free of charge by Apple, for the second time, just last week. Even though the program ended last month, she asked and they said "sure"! She was so happy, she sold the newly repaired one and bought a brand new one. Atta boy Apple!
It shows an underlying desire by a larger and larger segment of the population to have the Apple experience without paying for Apple hardware. The halo works. Eventually Apple may choose to reel them in with cheaper hardware options, license hardware production to a third party (like HP) or (highly-unlikely) license the OS to other OEMs. The commodity players out there only have Windows…and it's clearly becoming less and less desirable as their market gets more and more...
Apple is after them… This is a little confusing
...from the front page. http://www.appleinsider.com/articles...ng_patent.html
Buy Apple (AAPL - Cramer's Take - Stockpickr), Jim Cramer said on CNBC's "Stop Trading!" segment Monday. Cramer said that there is a "grudging recognition" in the market, especially after Nokia's (NOK - Cramer's Take - Stockpickr) cautious guidance, that the iPhone will continue to win among smart phones. He said the iPhone is "huge, and when we get the next iteration ... it's going to be game, set, match." He also remarked that "there's no stock for sale. They keep...