or Connect

Posts by rob53

check out mstone's chart. I think it justifies my statement. As for Windows 10 being free, it's only free for the last two versions. They're trying to follow Apple's lead and will have a difficult time doing that because all Microsoft really sells is their software. If they had to justify their existence on hardware, they'd be bankrupt by now. Microsoft will survive on licensing fees for server, cloud and whatever other software they continue to rubber stamp. Apple sells...
Well, my opinion about your statement about the PC platform being dominant shows that it's also in the throwaway market where there are so many almost identical products doing nearly the same thing with various degrees of capability that sites like Cnet and the others are kept in business saying the same thing to the same people multiple times. Being dominant doesn't necessarily mean it's any good. In many cases it's dominant because companies don't want to change, feeling...
Thanks. Now to break it down a bit further. Commercial licensing would include all those server-based client licenses, correct? Device and Consumer licensing sounds like it would be Windows OEM income. Computing and Gaming Hardware is Xbox and other gaming products but does it also include the Surface? What else? I always like "Other" categories because they seem to include all the products that barely survived. Am I close? In other words, licensing of non-Windows desktop...
 I could go through all the "pro-Apple" websites, including AppleInsider, and give you a list but you obviously already have your mind made up. Yes, I have my mind made up as well but it's based on two decades dealing with Windows systems (or in your case Apple products), not just complaining about them in a forum.
I hate percentages because 1000% of a very small number is still a very small number. Can you translate these percentages into actual numbers to give us an idea of where Microsoft is making their money? I don't really care about units either, all I care about is cold hard cash. 10M phones doesn't mean much when they give most of them (or a large number of them) away just to show some growth. Did Microsoft even make a profit on their phone sales? I know they made a profit...
Actually, I bet they make more money on Windows server and all those crazy server applications with expensive client licenses than on Windows desktop software. They can give away the desktop OS because they make a ton of money on maintenance contracts. Their push to cloud-based everything is another way to keep people paying them no matter applications or products they sell. The PC platform is basically dead as far as profits are concerned but the cloud and client...
Does it surprise anyone that all these pro-Windows sites are trying to keep relevant themselves by giving pro-Windows 10 responses? Microsoft will stay relevant not because of their OS or any of their services but because they are so entrenched in US government and enterprise installations that it will be very difficult for these installations to ever change to something else. Microsoft doesn't really need to upgrade their OS to keep customers, in fact forcing companies to...
Mine works fine but I don't use their iOS app anymore. I assume lots of original iPhone owners of Nest products are doing the same thing.
So worthless for watching live regular season games of teams other than local ones.
Refresh my memory on the Touch. I know it doesn't have cellular capability but can it be used with specific apps for VoIP use? If so, I could see it being used within certain businesses in a different manner for communications and corporate applications instead of full iPhones. This configuration might work a lot better than depending on cellular-based phones, especially in buildings with lots of metal that restrict cellular signals but have an adequate corporate WiFi...