or Connect

Posts by rob53

Nest couldn't buy them on their own so Google money is paying for it. A one product company (smoke detector just re-released as a limited function device) can now expand because their sugar daddy has money.
I apologized for being in the wrong forum two comments above yours. I just checked AI and the last HealthKit article was 6/10 (I don't count anything from Google). Maybe we need a place for a long term forum on HealthKit and HomeKit instead of commenting on each article that comes up.
I hope Cerner is able to break into the US market big time but Epic, for better or worse, has a huge market and have locked in the medical organizations with a multitude of specialized applications, just like Oracle has done. Epic also requires a huge investment and I doubt many of the larger health care organizations (she works for Providence, which has hospitals in Washington, Oregon, Alaska, southern California, and a few on Montana; I did see other Providence hospitals...
Apple does sell to the masses but they are finally being recognized as an enterprise solution and that's where the big money for Apple will be. Even though my daughter hates dealing with Epic, it is the defacto standard for electronic health record software. Her hope is that once Apple and Epic work together, she can use something other than a heavy Windows laptop (enterprises keep old stuff for too long) or a marginally working terminal emulator on a Mac laptop or...
You could have several apps controlling the same or different home components. If they all responded to your Siri request, which one gets precedence, which one actually does what you want it to do? Without knowing which app is controlling your components, you'd have a big mess. As for why you'd need to have your phone unlocked, there's an obvious reason for that. Anyone could grab your locked phone and do whatever they want to to your house. Let's have a little security...
I saw that Primate Labs has Geekbench 3 results for the new iMac. The results (single/multiple CPU) are 2820/5435 for the Core i5-4260U Haswell CPU. I ran the same test on my early 2009 24" 2.93GHz Core2Duo iMac and my results were only 1641/2971 or close to 50% of this "worthless" (per lots of you) iMac. I spent $2200 in March 2009, then added more RAM (8GB) later on along with a SSD/2TB HDD Fusion combination. I'm still trying to find benchmarks for the GPU but a quick...
How much work would it take to shift to ARM? What do Intel CPUs do that ARM CPUs don't? I've heard acceptable GPUs might be a problem with ARM CPUs. Is the A7/8/whatever fast enough to power a desktop or is Intel still way ahead in this market? I thought Grand Central was supposed to make it easier and automatic for applications to make use of multiple cores without any/much reprogramming. If so, why aren't we seeing two or three dual or quad core CPUs being used in an...
Found this, http://store.apple.com/us/product/FD093LL/A/refurbished-215-inch-imac-27ghz-quad-core-Intel-Core-i5. Apple used the 640M in iMacs released starting in October 2012 so AI is using an older model that's on sale for comparison.
Realize that Apple isn't getting rid of the other configurations, they're just adding a low end version. There typically has been an educational version and this one seems to be it. In a lot of ways, this model is simply a MBA with a 21.5" screen (except for HDD) so for those people who are complaining about a Core2Duo i5, look at the specs for the MBA (1.4GHz, Dual Core i5). If the MBA is adequate for many people then so will this iMac.   I was hoping for a refresh of...
What's with all the US judges these days? I don't remember reading about so many rogue judges ignoring the laws, making up weird interpretations of basic law, or just plain being crazy in the way they rule on standard law in the last 40 years. I know there have been judges that have ruled strangely, typically supreme court justices, but now it's every judge who want's their 5 seconds of fame. We already have all the judges with their weird rulings against Apple, not we...