or Connect

Posts by rob53

"As usual, interest accrued and applicable attorneys' fees are also being sought." Of course the lawyers will get a bunch more than the employees. None of the issues seem to be over what they got paid, only how quickly. As for breaks, how do you put a dollar figure on these? 20K employees, some of which sound like they no longer work at an Apple Store (final paychecks), doesn't sound like a lot of money but when you factor in the lawyers costs, it will be huge.
For those of you who haven't read through the slides presented by Jonathan Zdziarski, a former McAfee research scientist turned jailbreaker, it's worth the time wading through 58 pages. http://www.zdziarski.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2014/07/iOS_Backdoors_Attack_Points_Surveillance_Mechanisms.pdf     One of the more interesting paragraphs was: ... Please note the only categories of user generated active files that can be provided to law enforcement, pursuant to a...
I'd also like to see some significant updates to the iMac line. Something more than a bottom end version. If Apple isn't going to do that, then I'd like to see an update or replacement for a good non-4K monitor for the Mac Pro. Laptops are fine but I don't need to be portable for the work I do.
Tell me if your last comment means splitting the Android faction in half would mean all those people who lump Android together would have to report iOS, Android, Tizen, and the mysterious other (not worrying about Microsoft). If this happens and Samsung drops Android altogether, what would the pie chart look like? 
I like your explanation but I have a better one. Amazon pays the author/publisher $7 up front then keeps all the money it gets from subscriptions. I'm not assuming the author gets anything once Amazon gets their grubby hands on the book. I'm also not assuming the authors have much say in the subscription model since Amazon is the only unrestricted game in town.
I told you all documents are NOT confidential or classified. That is not supporting your statement. If you performed a simple search, you'd find them. Here's a start. I'm not going to tell you how to find any others, that's up to you.  http://www.archives.gov/research/alic/reference/govt-docs.html
How much are the authors getting? Will Amazon pay a flat rate up front or will authors get a residual for each book accessed, even if the person only reads one page? We all know Amazon will be trying to make money on this deal and pay the authors/publishers as little as possible.
Actually, you are misinformed on this. US government documents can be unclassified and freely available to the public. They can also be sensitive, only viewed by a certain people in specific countries and of course there are several levels of confidential and classified documents with all sorts of access restrictions. There are also export controlled documents, which can be viewed by Americans but not sent outside this country.  I do know what I'm talking about. I worked...
Well, I decided to check IBM's small market server products and guess what? They're transitioning the x86 servers them to Lenovo. So much for IBM supplying SMB servers configured with OSXServer. System Z servers are not small servers so IBM has given up on everything except large-scale computing servers, software, and specialized applications. "The Lenovo acquisition will include System x racks and towers, x86 BladeCenter and x86 Flex System blade servers and integrated...
Yes, laptops can do more than a tablet but tablet software is increasing in capabilities, even for audio engineers. I won't put where I used to work but many of the 6-8K employees I used to work with over 30+ years are now seeing iPads and iPhones as an important tool in their work. These people include scientists, engineers, and a wide variety of support personnel. They do much more than simply enter data and text, they interact with it. They continue to use desktops and...