or Connect

Posts by rob53

No easy answer. Since you would own your phone, you don't have to pay the extra $25/mo. From the chart above, the cost would be $40 for 3GB data, unlimited minutes and texts. Taxes, a bunch of them, are added on top. I didn't check my bill but I'd put the taxes and other extras they get to charge at around 10-15%. If you sign up for the Mobile Share plan, the cost is a bit different. 
I switched to AT&T's mobile share 10GB plan awhile ago and didn't have to pay extra for the new iPhone5s I had just purchased. The 5 iPhones on the plan never get anywhere near the 10GB but it cost less than the plan under it. We don't need 10GB but it's difficult to drop down in plan levels without paying extra somewhere along the line. I'd rather our overall cost go down than getting more data because extra data really doesn't cost any of these vendors anything. It's...
Have you power recycled your cable/DSL modem (and router) recently? Can you run a speedtest between devices on your LAN and see if they are slow as well? I find my problems are usually related to network issues outside my LAN. I tested my iMac running Yosemite are the results are consistent. I have an older Airport base station and am hardwired as well. Disconnected enet cable when testing WiFi (one floor below). iPhone is a 5s. My results don't mean you're not having a...
Thanks. Shows you how much I know about using a cab. :-) Last time I was in a cab was in NYC racing another cab down 5th Ave in the wee hours of the morning with a bunch of others attending a conference (actually partying after the conference). I don't remember how we paid but I doubt we used a credit card (horse and buggy days).
My garage door opener uses a random code generator that programs the remote by holding it right next to the opener (pain when it's up high). I can reprogram anytime I wish, including programming new remotes. My vision would be to use NFC to program an iPhone or any remote, then WiFi using TouchID to activate the door opener. This should provide adequate security and could use one-time code managed by the remote application keeping someone from sniffing the wireless...
What about using it to pay for a NYC cab? No more cash and easier than using a credit card.
I would like to see this happen. They we wouldn't have to worry about replacing the key fob. I'd also go with garage door openers and door locks. Why not use the device you carry to do these things instead of having to carry a bunch of openers and remotes?
 Found a website (http://bestmobs.com/section/phones/) listing all phone manufacturers/brands (or as many as they could find). Here they are in alphabetical order. Acer, Alcatel, AllWinnner, Amazon, Apple, Asus, Blackberry, BLU, Celkon, Coolpad, Cubot, Dell, Evolio, G-Tide, Gigabyte, Gionee, Google, Goophone, Haier, Hike, HP, HTC, Huawei, iBall, Infinix, InnJoo, Intex, iOcean, Jiake, Jiayu, Jivi, Jolla, Kabonn, Karbonn, Kingzone, Kyocera, Lava, Lenovo, LG, Meizu, Micromax,...
I don't want to drop the "Others" question. I'd like to know what products IDC includes under "Others" because it's absolutely huge. I also think this chart should be divided into classes of phones, which would show what's really happening and who has to potential to actually make any money. Apple doesn't sell a throwaway phone but I'm sure Samsung, Xiaomi and the Others group. Just because the phone has a display on it doesn't mean it's a smartphone. Why can't IDC make...
Didn't take long did it!!!! The fun starts now.