or Connect

Posts by rob53

I feel your frustration but the hardware and UI have nothing to do with the ability to cut the cable and offer individual channels without requiring a stupid cable or satellite contract. I dropped my Comcast phone, saving me $100/mo after some messing around by the local sales person. Even though I kept my long list of never-watched channels, I found myself only watching maybe ten channels on a regular basis. Give me standard network TV for when I'm bored then let me...
It isn't because many drives from MacSales/OWC come formatted for PCs, mainly because PC users can't easily figure out how to even mount a Mac formatted disk while Mac users can. Simply reformatting them properly works fine and doesn't take very long.  When you get to RAID setups, it's a little different. I'd always get a RAID pre formatted for Macs because anything other than RAID 0 or 1 will take a long time for the initial formatting.  As for promoting other retailers,...
Maybe in larger towns but mine is small. We don't have a UPS store either, just the Mailbox store that does UPS, FedEx, etc. We also don't have any kind of mall, just stores located on the main street with a downtown (old town) stretch of 10 blocks. Radio Shack is on the first block entering old town right next to a vacant, formerly state-run liquor store. Put the two together and you'd have a larger store with access by Canadians and tourists as well. A glass front store...
I've already found a real electronic component store within easy driving distance even though we have a small Radio Shack in town. I've been in the RS store maybe two times in the last 10 years and I seem to remember actually getting something like a cordless phone battery but that was all. Our town isn't large enough for an Apple store but the RS is on the main street downtown so it's in a good location. At 800 sq ft it might be the smallest Apple Store but it would be...
Good reviews by PC magazines paid by Microsoft to give them awards. There are also a lot of gullible people in this world. Yes, you can say the same for Apple product buyers but I believe too many people have been burned by Windows PC garbage and are finally thinking twice before buying another plastic doorstop.
Luxury is about buying an inessential, desirable item that is expensive or difficult to obtain. The iPhone is more expensive than other phones (although not that much more when compared to a comparable phone, just like Macs) but is not inessential or difficult to obtain. You might have to wait a little bit to get one but it's not like they're handmade for each purchaser. As for being inessential, you can say the same about any cell phone. It all depends on the person...
"Prior to the season, Microsoft and the NFL struck a five-year $400 million deal with one of the major components being that the Microsoft Surface would become "the official tablet of the NFL" with coaches and players using the Surface on the sidelines during games." http://www.businessinsider.com/microsoft-nfl-surface-ipads-2014-9?op=1 Doesn't really say anything about the NFL having to dump any money into it. I know I'm not supposed to comment on other site's articles...
I read someplace that Microsoft had to pay the NFL to get Surfaces onto the field. As with the Bose contract, nothing else can be used so the coaches and players are using them because that's all that's available on the field. The funny thing is that the waterproof jackets are not available for retail sale and that you always see them plugged in most of the time. They probably can't even last one game without having to be re-charged. Typical Windows laptop. Microsoft even...
"Things were even worse for Microsoft, whose handset division had an average selling price of just $45 last quarter."   How can you even manufacture a legitimate cell phone for $45? Microsoft must have been giving away most of their phones. I'm sure they were giving away most of their Surface tablets.   As for Android phones, as many have said, it's a race to the bottom to see who can sell the most and Samsung, Xiaomi and the others are fight to get that honor. I'd...
I found this site, https://developer.android.com/distribute/tools/launch-checklist.html, that's a checklist for apps but when I look for certification, I only find people certification, not app certification. The app checklist looks like it's up to the programmer to do everything, which doesn't always mean they will do everything correctly. I also don't see anything that talks about an independent review of the app, which is what Apple does before allowing any app to be...