or Connect

Posts by rob53

Apple does license patents from people/companies that provide applicable technology. Saying a pager is the basis for messaging is like saying a pencil is the basis for a typewriter. How far back do you pay people for inventions that no longer are being improved on or hardly even used? If you read the verdict, the jury said Apple did not knowingly use the patents. In other words, Apple did not feel any of their development was predicated on the pager patents. The problem...
John Gruber needs to quit taking so many drugs. Using a stereo camera system based on tiny CMOS sensors and only using the best results from each then calling it DSLR quality is uneducated, uninformed, and just plain crazy. Add to this the extremely small size of the camera lens and the combination doesn't come close to a DSLR. The iPhone does take nice photos but comparing them to a DSLR with high-quality lens is grossly unfair to to real cameras.      iPhone6:...
Patents 5,809,428, 5,754,946, 5,894,506, 5,590,403, 5,659,891 and 5,915,210 (Apple was found to not be infringing one of these). I believe most patents have a life of 20 years. These are all for pagers and pager networks. If these apply to mobile phone messaging applications (Google and the others also being sued), then all the telephone and wakie-talkie patents should have been prior art, invalidating these patents. Of course the judge can only see one generation back and...
Amortized over the life of the loan. Actually, larger homes are being built with multiple AC units instead of one large one. This makes it more efficient to run them only when they are needed in a specific part of the house. I don't have AC, I just open the windows and enjoy the breeze. The heater is a different story.
Wouldn't surprise me, especially when most browsers have a private browsing mode. Apps will capture as much information as they can get away with so they can push targeted advertising at you. Users don't like this but businesses depend on it so we're out of luck.
You're right. When was the last time the signature on those terminals actually looked anything like your signature? Most people just scrawl a few loops and lines and call it a signature. They are useless and even the people running the cash register just have to see an attempt. I bet an "X" would be acceptable. One step forward and two steps back. Just can't get some companies to break from tradition.
Have you tried turning on Safari's Autofill preferences? I just use it for logons and passwords but you can have it fill from Contacts and credit cards you've saved. I haven't looked to see how ApplePay works online to see how much comes from your identified credit card.
A 2-pack of remote sensors is another $79 but you can buy the ecobee3 with 3 remote sensors for $313 (the ecobee3 comes with one remote sensor). That's a stiff price but not as bad as the Nest smoke detectors. Of course, I don't believe a single ecobee3 can control an HVAC that includes multiple zones so all you're getting with the remotes is something that will work even when you have an ironing board with a hot iron near the only thermostat. I just wish these units...
China still has a long ways to go regarding human rights but it appears they are finally cracking down on some illegal behavior and that's a good sign. Time we give them a second chance to prove themselves.
Finally, progress!!! Retailers spend so much money on potentially frivolous things and totally forget about upgrading their financial system, which ultimately is what protects their income.