or Connect

Posts by rob53

Apple's web site says the following, which isn't all that technical: With Apple Pay, instead of using your actual credit and debit card numbers when you add your card, a unique Device Account Number is assigned, encrypted, and securely stored in the Secure Element, a dedicated chip in iPhone, iPad, and Apple Watch. These numbers are never stored on Apple servers. And when you make a purchase, the Device Account Number, along with a transaction-specific dynamic security...
I've been to two Home Depot stores in the Pacific Northwest and they use the iSC line of multilane retail terminals. They don't have the NFC logo on them but have NFC built in. Both times I've used my iPhone it has worked flawlessly but it still asks for my signature. I asked the cashier about this and they said the NFC portion hasn't been configured. It has to a certain extent because I've paid for things in their stores. Retailers say they don't want to pay for the...
I worked at a facility that also had guard gates and once through the gates, it could take a lot of time just to reach my building. We could have long lines at the multiple guard gates as well as random car checks. Once inside, you still had to get to your building, which always took a different amount of time. Our work started when we got to our office, not when we arrived at the property line. Employees just needed to leave early to make sure they got to their desk on...
Pruneridge Ave. was the name of the street they removed. It appears the tunnel will be constructed by digging a pit and covering it. Wait until the next report to see whether Pruneridge returns or whether the tunnel is simply covered with trees and native plants. I am amazed to see how much dirt they've dug up. Cupertino now has a new Mt. Apple to put on the map.
This is a thunderbolt ROM issue, which I believe is something Apple buys and doesn't code themselves. It's like the USB issue. Apple can't fix that issue either. Intel is responsible for fixing both and they haven't.
Yes, it was a joke. As for the colonists being brits, weren't most of them kicked out of their country (criminals, like those sent to Australia) or others who didn't believe in the politics and were looking for a fresh start?  I wasn't aware of the BBC Micro, I would have thought that was a small car. (ok that was another attempt at a joke.) It appears that everyone wants to copy everything Apple does no matter what business they are in. Perfect example is Amazon. They're...
From the little presented to us, I'd say your comment is correct. However, I don't believe there is a single Far East supplier that works exclusively for Apple so this was basically a hit piece by the BBC. If they wanted to be fair, they would have included the other consumers of these facilities instead of blaming everything on Apple but that wouldn't have created the number of "hits" for the BBC. Of course, the Brits are still pissed we kicked them out of the new world. 
Anticompetitive practices. Who is affected? If any company wants to charge a million dollars for a phone, what's stopping them from doing that? The carriers don't have to carry anything they don't want to. They also don't have to sign anything they don't want to. Saying because Apple mobile products have "substantial market sway" they have to be investigated for doing something every other company does is a crock. Why don't they investigate Samsung's practices, or Amazon's...
What the extra video didn't say was how she got the recording into Garageband. If she just played it on a record player and let her Mac record the sound through it's microphone might have been inferred but I was hoping for a reference to an analog-to-digital input device.    Still like both videos.
Nice product. I have to plug in a device into my stereo jack to make it work. That should work very well for all those <11 kids who will have to actually unhook their earbuds to make a purchase. As usual, it's just another thing to lose. Does this fob have the users credentials in them so it could be moved from one phone to another? Wonder how many banks will sign up for this system. All it will take is one piece of Android malware and your bank account is emptied.