or Connect

Posts by rob53

I was wrong. I received an email from Revel:   --- The iPad itself is not capable of accepting NFC payments. Revel will be using the VivoPay 4500 as the additional hardware to accept NFC payments within our systems. ($500 on sale--AI commenters: how does this compare to other credit card terminals?)   http://www.northamericanterminals.com/vivopay-4500.html ---   I downloaded the manual from manualslib.com and it works wirelessly with a POS system, which I assume is...
Check out Revel Systems, http://revelsystems.com/2014/09/30/revel-works-apple-pay. They just announced ApplePay-compatible iPad POS systems. I didn't see anywhere on their website where it said you'd have to use a separate NFC terminal. I could be making a huge assumption but Revel made a big announcement so I am further assuming they have the hardware necessary if it isn't using whatever is built in.  more: I emailed Revel to see how they're doing it and hope to get a...
Don't need an external NFC reader since NFC is included in the new iPads and it might work on the iPhone6's the same way. This doesn't address older iPads but the nice thing about the new iPad Air 2 is that it's ready to use as a point of sale (POS) device for NFC transactions. Square would simply need to add the NFC component to their software and I'm sure they will be doing that.
For someone who's the antithesis of DED (Daniel E. Dilger), this doesn't surprise me. As for these specs not meaning anything, look at the type of people who frequent AI. To these people (me included), these specs are significant. For any person who has to put up with people spewing technical specs about their favorite Android mobile device or desktop, it gives me additional information to remind them that Apple knows what to do with the additional power while their...
Saw another article about ApplePay on the CIO website but couldn't get it to let me log on to post so I'll post the information I found from that article here. Smoothie King is changing all their POS terminals to one from Revel (SF based), http://revelsystems.com/2014/09/30/revel-works-apple-pay. This system uses an iPad and they say it can use ApplePay. I'm guessing they are using the NFC capability in the iPad Air 2 as the merchant side of ApplePay. This makes for a...
I'm talking about WF SurePay. Here's the setup window. I can send money (haven't tried it) per the following information: Sending Money Using an Email Address or Mobile Phone NumberWells Fargo and Bank of America customers can send money to each other using an email address or mobile number. You can also send money to recipients with an eligible checking or savings account at any U.S. financial institution.To send money, add your recipient's information, enter an amount,...
Wells Fargo lets me transfer money fairly easily to someone else and while I like the possibility of doing things like this it also scares me that they would accept a transfer based on an email address.  As far as bypassing credit card companies, that's fine for retailers but I'll be damned if I'm going to give everyone my banking account information. I give it to a select few utility companies for autopayment but I'd rather give them a credit card because this third-party...
These numbers support your suggestion, http://www.cardhub.com/edu/credit-debit-card-fraud-statistics/ ---Despite the fact that fraud only impacts a fraction of one percent of all purchases made with plastic, according to data from the Federal Reserve, it represents one of the biggest concerns among consumers.  Credit card and debit card fraud resulted in losses amounting to $11.27 billion during 2012. Card issuers and merchants incurred 63% and 37% of those losses,...
I remember a big push for securing PII (personally identifiable information). We had to go through all our work computers and delete SSNs and all information about ourselves and others to comply with federal law. If we were required to have them, e.g., HR and financial departments, these computers had to have their disks encrypted. Why are systems that ignore these laws being allowed to be developed? MCX can say their systems are secure but the fact they are requiring...
I was using credit cards and debit cards as being the same thing. They use a system where the consumer doesn't have to provide direct banking information (checking account number, routing number, etc.) to the retailer. The retailer only gets what's available on the card. MCX is going much further than this while ApplePay is giving the retailer a single-use token.  I'm fine with competition as long as it's secure, easy to use and makes sense. Those using Android or Windows...