or Connect

Posts by rob53

Which should take care of the drop it's having this morning. In other words, no change for the day.
Single thread vs parallel processing aside, more of the Top 500 supercomputers are using GPUs to accelerate their systems. The current #2 supercomputer, Titan from Cray installed at Oak Ridge, uses NVIDIA K20X GPUs. These are expensive desktop and supercomputer devices that have a theoretical speed of almost 4 TFLOPS (single precision). If Apple can develop a desktop-grade GPU that's usable for desktop and professional applications, it would make sense because this is...
"Um also expressed concern over Apple's next product cycle, particularly with regard to the low-end 16-gigabyte capacity for the iPhone and iPad. The analyst said that 16 gigabytes does not appear to be sufficient for modern devices, and raising the minimum storage to 32 gigabytes could affect average selling prices and margins."   He's not only an analyst but a technical expert. What technical background does he have to make statements like this? 16GB is fine for a lot...
No, it's Flash. With Yosemite and a Flash blocker, I am seeing much more HTML5 videos pop up instead of Flash. I can use the developer setting and trick the site into thinking I'm using an iPad and HTML5 shows up. Try watching ESPN and just about every video sucks. Some of this is Flash, the rest is ESPN's servers. I'm still waiting for Netflix to drop Silverlight. Get rid of Flash and Silverlight and the world will be better off. As for using Google products, no thanks....
Thanks for the process but as @chabig mentioned making sure every step is correct helps a lot. I also had to look very closely to see that the iPhoto Library was actually dragged on top of the LaCie drive. What confused me was this drive icon wouldn't show up to the left of the menu unless the desktop was full and the drive mounted to the middle of the desktop. This isn't being picky, I would rather have had a visual more realistic to show what was going on.   You also...
Of course NSA spies, that's their job as defined by US law. Of course, they aren't supposed to be doing so much spying on law-abiding US citizens but they are our spy organization, just like every other country has theirs. No foreign leader can honestly say they were surprised when Snowden opened his big mouth because they are doing the same thing we're doing and have been doing since the dawn of time.
Not sure why everyone is getting their panties in a twist. China has every right to test Apple products. This story didn't say anything about Apple source code. As a developer, I have access to some Apple source code and Chinese developers have the same access (except for encryption algorithms that aren't allowed outside the US). As for the US government not inspecting products themselves, that's not really true. Many government organizations perform all sorts of testing,...
No, they wouldn't. Apple would turn into a software company just like Google and Microsoft and all phones would be cheap garbage running Android. Apple sells a complete product, which also happens to be the best phone and software combination going. Try letting those co-workers work instead of trying to chat with them all the time. Also educate them on why Apple phones are better and get them to buy one, then you don't have to use inferior apps on your iPhone (if you even...
However, these satellites won't be in geosynchronous orbit because they have to travel very fast to keep gravity from causing them to fall back into the Earth's atmosphere. There would have to be a lot of satellite shifting to make this work. There's also a lot of space junk in LEO so it would be interesting to see how many of Elon's satellites have accident avoidance (and forgiveness :-) ). Saying OTA transmissions of 750 miles would not have any latency is a stretch...
Railroads aren't a particularly good analogy for the internet of today. Freight trains own the rails, with passenger trains only allowed on tracks when freight trains aren't running. Not all tracks are open to every train company, in fact most tracks can only be used by the train company that owns them. The home delivery lines are the only ones really owned by the internet companies and the only ones that really matter. iMessage and Netflix are like specialized locomotives...