or Connect

Posts by rob53

You're all missing the point of this suit. These are standards-essential IP we're talking about, not something Apple has a choice of designing around. It's the same issues Apple has been fighting with other patent holders who are now planning on charging excessive amounts of money for their individual patents related to a technology they've offered their patents for to make it a standard. A proper analogy would be forcing everyone to use a specific bolt in a car from only...
My daughters early 2011 MBP with i7 and AMD 6750M only works if it never goes to sleep, usually. This model is the worst Mac we've ever purchased and there's no way to fix it. A replacement board might work or might not. Am I upset, yes. What can I do now? Probably nothing. The MBP lasted 3 years and a few months, not a great result for Apple products that usually last for a lot longer than this.
Apple used to have a government sales department, it more or less disappeared but I'm glad they've finally returned. To bad I'm retired. I would have liked to see the resurgence of Apple in this space. Resurgence means they were there before, which they were in the 90's and early 2000's but disappeared when Microsoft made a big push with junk PCs (still there but people are finally smarter).
The Microsoft-centric IT departments will always find a way to keep their jobs especially when anything from Apple is introduced. They'll simply require changes that keep Microsoft relevant whether or not it needs to be. I'm sure many of these iPads will be configured with the mobile Office suite and any other POS (different acronym) Microsoft app for infrastructure compatibility (Sharepoint, Exchange, AD, etc.), which will keep the IT staff employed. The big difference is...
I would say most of them are and when you add the problems many major companies have had with their in-house billing/cashier systems, it's time for a change. I know they'll say they just need to upgrade to a newer version of Windows but do companies really want to run a POS system running Windows 8.1? They can't just upgrade to a Windows 7-based system because Microsoft has already documented an EOL for that version so they'd be getting a soon-to-be-unsupported OS again....
I know small companies are using the iPad as a POS device, why can't one of Apple's enterprise activities with IBM be the development of large scale deployment of retail POS devices using the iPad and connecting to IBM's infrastructure for a much more secure environment than the 19th century DOS and XP-based POS systems being used in way too many places.
How big is big enough? These huge HDDs aren't very fast when compared to SSDs until you stick them in a RAID configuration with a fast interface. I'd take four 2TB HDDs over a single 8TB any day of the week. I'd really like to hear about new RAIDs with Thunderbolt-2 coming out at with lower costs and packaging that makes them virtually silent. 
Actually, we do need his editorials because Daniel's editorials make it to many other websites and have the accurate technical documentation the majority of other websites don't. He didn't try and spin it pro-Apple he simply stated the facts, something the idiots suing Apple can't comprehend. Hopefully, the judge will read his editorial and do some digging then throw the lawsuit out the window while also charging the plaintiffs and their lawyers a tidy sum for wasting the...
Apple's web site says the following, which isn't all that technical: With Apple Pay, instead of using your actual credit and debit card numbers when you add your card, a unique Device Account Number is assigned, encrypted, and securely stored in the Secure Element, a dedicated chip in iPhone, iPad, and Apple Watch. These numbers are never stored on Apple servers. And when you make a purchase, the Device Account Number, along with a transaction-specific dynamic security...