or Connect

Posts by rob53

No. There have been similar attacks when programmers insert malware inside pirated applications. Apple has done the correct thing in revoking the developer's certificate so it won't install/launch unless someone has changed their security preferences. As with almost all malware on all platforms, if you can get the user to install the malware through any type of app, there's not much that can be done. I see malware as being something that can get installed without a user's...
"first infecting Macs by inserting trojan software through repackaged OS X apps,..."   If you have OSX configured properly to not allow unsigned apps, then they wouldn't be installed. These are repackaged apps so unless someone re-signed them with an authentic signature, they would get installed. Of course, I wonder how many people turn this feature off. As far as it infecting iOS devices, that's something enterprise IT personnel have to be aware of since they are given...
I've always wondered about how open-source code can get such great reviews. Just because lots of people have access to it doesn't mean it's that secure. What it does mean is that it never gets finished. Apple takes the best of open-source then adds its own security to it, making for a better product. As for lack of email encryption, Yosemite makes signing and encryption a lot easier but Apple fails to provide one thing that would easily make everything work better, an...
 I believe the class-action suit isn't against the stores not accepting ApplePay as much as it's against MCX for banding together independent businesses in a type of cartel that outlaws other types of payment. Individual businesses can determine what types of payment other than cash they want to accept, but I don't believe a group of businesses can jointly discriminate against specific payment types. There is a big difference.
I thought at one time the OSX install process set up the initial, admin account, then suggested/required the setup of a non-admin, regular user account. This is how it should be done, otherwise OSX is setup exactly like Windows, which we all complain about being easy to install software without authentication. It's how I do it but that comes from years of managing government systems. To configure sudo for a non-admin account, you also need to specifically edit the sudo...
I agree. If VoLTE only works with LTE data networks, then it does nothing for me. I barely have 1 bar of cellular reception at my house and no LTE. I'd rather they work on VoWiFi (I know that's VOIP). Even if they get both of these to work, many of my calls are to people who aren't on cell phones (yes, there are a lot of those people plus businesses). 
No easy answer. Since you would own your phone, you don't have to pay the extra $25/mo. From the chart above, the cost would be $40 for 3GB data, unlimited minutes and texts. Taxes, a bunch of them, are added on top. I didn't check my bill but I'd put the taxes and other extras they get to charge at around 10-15%. If you sign up for the Mobile Share plan, the cost is a bit different. 
I switched to AT&T's mobile share 10GB plan awhile ago and didn't have to pay extra for the new iPhone5s I had just purchased. The 5 iPhones on the plan never get anywhere near the 10GB but it cost less than the plan under it. We don't need 10GB but it's difficult to drop down in plan levels without paying extra somewhere along the line. I'd rather our overall cost go down than getting more data because extra data really doesn't cost any of these vendors anything. It's...
Have you power recycled your cable/DSL modem (and router) recently? Can you run a speedtest between devices on your LAN and see if they are slow as well? I find my problems are usually related to network issues outside my LAN. I tested my iMac running Yosemite are the results are consistent. I have an older Airport base station and am hardwired as well. Disconnected enet cable when testing WiFi (one floor below). iPhone is a 5s. My results don't mean you're not having a...
Thanks. Shows you how much I know about using a cab. :-) Last time I was in a cab was in NYC racing another cab down 5th Ave in the wee hours of the morning with a bunch of others attending a conference (actually partying after the conference). I don't remember how we paid but I doubt we used a credit card (horse and buggy days).