or Connect

Posts by rob53

I have the same question. Why is Corning uses 80 mm fiber? From what I briefly read, the smaller size fiber actually allows faster communications over longer distances.  "50 micron multimode fiber offers nearly three times more bandwidth (500 MHz·km) than FDDI-grade 62.5 micron fiber (160 MHz·km) at a wavelength of 850 nm [nanometers]." I assume this means 80 micron fiber would provide even less bandwidth.
AI, you do realize a mistake like this could have stock market ramifications. Please update this article right away before those crazy analysts go wild. --Just adding an update to the title does nothing. Please change the title so search engines don't pick up the mistake. Or just delete the article.
Check again, he's there. http://www.apple.com/pr/bios/
Have you ever tried using Pooch, http://daugerresearch.com/pooch/top.shtml, to build a Mac cluster using TB as the connection method? It would be interesting to see if this would work and since you have at least two Macs with TB, all you'd need is the software. Pooch works over ethernet and that protocol is available through TB so it might work. Maybe you could talk to Dean Dauger and see if he'd be willing to work with you to get it to work. They you could report back on...
I realize the Thunderbolt port is copper-based, being converted to a fiber optic cable in the cable transceiver but I'm wondering if anyone will build an old-style copper-to-fiber transceiver adapter box. I used to use them at work, going from a copper ethernet cable to a fiber cable. You can get a 100m 10Gbps LC-LC fiber cable for under $200 so Corning's transceivers cost ~$500 each. I know copper-to-fiber adapter boxes cost a whole lot less than that. Of course, having...
Good summary of why a native iOS version of Microsoft Office will not work very well on a smaller device with a touch screen. Add the absolute necessity of increasing RAM and Apple would have to produce a larger, fatter iPad Pro just to get this overweight software to run properly. Throw away 90% of the marginally used "features" of Office and it might run and might be enough to actually compete wit iWork, but I doubt Microsoft could do this. As for needing all those...
The reason Congress is involved is because they are trying to figure out a way to stop all the iPhone thefts and attacks on the people carrying them. This isn't about government control of phone conversations it's about reducing the reason to steal iPhones. Render them useless for the thief (the user can restart them if they are retrieved) making it useless to steal them. The fact Democrats are sponsoring the bill is obvious, they care about the common person. Republican...
Your last statement isn't necessarily correct, at least not for everyone. My wife uses an iPad for just about everything she does. This leaves the Mac for me. :-) The iPad is a whole lot more of a computer than PCs of a few years ago. Just because it doesn't have a USB port or run Microsoft Office doesn't mean it isn't a computer. It's actually a very nice computer, a whole lot better than a lot of those garbage netbooks and ultra whatevers the PC crowd likes to try and...
I know you know the answer but I'll humor you. The iPad actually doesn't do everything the iPhone can do (no cellular calls, VoIP doesn't count) but it's larger and can be used in more ways than an iPhone. They both have their place.
jungmark is correct on this one. The Windows number includes worthless laptops and netbooks as well as their mobile devices that can't run anything more than what the iPhone can run. I like the comparison. To make matters worse for Microsoft, I'd like to know how many of those PCs are sitting in people's closets, store rooms, and recycling centers. Of course, Microsoft has to count all of them even if they aren't running.