or Connect

Posts by rob53

I would say most of them are and when you add the problems many major companies have had with their in-house billing/cashier systems, it's time for a change. I know they'll say they just need to upgrade to a newer version of Windows but do companies really want to run a POS system running Windows 8.1? They can't just upgrade to a Windows 7-based system because Microsoft has already documented an EOL for that version so they'd be getting a soon-to-be-unsupported OS again....
I know small companies are using the iPad as a POS device, why can't one of Apple's enterprise activities with IBM be the development of large scale deployment of retail POS devices using the iPad and connecting to IBM's infrastructure for a much more secure environment than the 19th century DOS and XP-based POS systems being used in way too many places.
How big is big enough? These huge HDDs aren't very fast when compared to SSDs until you stick them in a RAID configuration with a fast interface. I'd take four 2TB HDDs over a single 8TB any day of the week. I'd really like to hear about new RAIDs with Thunderbolt-2 coming out at with lower costs and packaging that makes them virtually silent. 
Actually, we do need his editorials because Daniel's editorials make it to many other websites and have the accurate technical documentation the majority of other websites don't. He didn't try and spin it pro-Apple he simply stated the facts, something the idiots suing Apple can't comprehend. Hopefully, the judge will read his editorial and do some digging then throw the lawsuit out the window while also charging the plaintiffs and their lawyers a tidy sum for wasting the...
Apple's web site says the following, which isn't all that technical: With Apple Pay, instead of using your actual credit and debit card numbers when you add your card, a unique Device Account Number is assigned, encrypted, and securely stored in the Secure Element, a dedicated chip in iPhone, iPad, and Apple Watch. These numbers are never stored on Apple servers. And when you make a purchase, the Device Account Number, along with a transaction-specific dynamic security...
I've been to two Home Depot stores in the Pacific Northwest and they use the iSC line of multilane retail terminals. They don't have the NFC logo on them but have NFC built in. Both times I've used my iPhone it has worked flawlessly but it still asks for my signature. I asked the cashier about this and they said the NFC portion hasn't been configured. It has to a certain extent because I've paid for things in their stores. Retailers say they don't want to pay for the...
I worked at a facility that also had guard gates and once through the gates, it could take a lot of time just to reach my building. We could have long lines at the multiple guard gates as well as random car checks. Once inside, you still had to get to your building, which always took a different amount of time. Our work started when we got to our office, not when we arrived at the property line. Employees just needed to leave early to make sure they got to their desk on...
Pruneridge Ave. was the name of the street they removed. It appears the tunnel will be constructed by digging a pit and covering it. Wait until the next report to see whether Pruneridge returns or whether the tunnel is simply covered with trees and native plants. I am amazed to see how much dirt they've dug up. Cupertino now has a new Mt. Apple to put on the map.
This is a thunderbolt ROM issue, which I believe is something Apple buys and doesn't code themselves. It's like the USB issue. Apple can't fix that issue either. Intel is responsible for fixing both and they haven't.