or Connect

Posts by rob53

I have a question: Who's cloud services is Apple currently using? I read it might be Microsoft's Azure cloud services. With Apple's cloud infrastructure on its way to become very large, having a cloud service provider like IBM (HW and SW) might be better in the long run than messing around with PC servers running Azure. IBM is known and used world wide and has a very capable service staff.    Anybody have actual data that says who Apple is using for both hardware and...
Lorin, you're limiting yourself. Either you grew up in a tiny cubicle doing nothing but data entry or you have a limited understanding of what other people do. Gone are the days of a stationary employee (except in certain business sweatshops). Employees need to be mobile, not tied to a big keyboard and monitor, so they can perform their work wherever it needs to be performed. Even a travel agent and a stockbroker has times where walking around helps them do their job...
If you check out Kronos' list of trademarks you'll see things like Kronos 4500 and a variety of Workgroup whatever trademarked. How can the uspto allow names that don't mean anything or are generic in nature?
Wall Street believes the lies and half-truths Samsung comes out with way too much. Where are the truth in advertising folks challenging samsung's garbage? They only attack Apple and are sucked in by samsung's lies.
If, and I don't put any faith in what Kuo says, all iPhones are delayed until next year, then Walmart, Target, Costco, and all the other iPhones vendors who significantly dropped their prices to clear inventory in anticipation of new iPhones won't have any to sell. I could see a couple of these companies making a huge blunder but not all of them. I'm sure these vendors had to get some amount of understanding from Apple that lowering the prices wouldn't leave them high and...
The Nest uses a proximity sensor to know when you're near it so it can automatically adjust its settings. Having iBeacons placed around the house goes one better since it would know where people are throughout a house and be able to handle lighting, environmental controls, as well as home security. This might be overkill but I could see it being used in this manner to control a wide variety of devices. The iBeacon works with an iPhone so everyone would have to carry...
My daughter bought a new house on a "lane" that is part of her HOA, not a city street. The city/county changed the name a couple times during her buying process causing all sorts of problems. The county assessor has the correct name and location yet the mapping companies don't seem to get street information from them. I talked to a person at a city government office and she had to contact someone else before everything finally was fixed but said the mapping companies don't...
Location services are handled by a combination of WiFi tower location and GPS. Without these, the iPhone doesn't know where it is. I'm sure all those Chinese government hackers programmers could easily come up with a way to stop all cellphones from using WiFi and GPS for location data. Of course, this would also handicap any mapping or legitimate GPS operation but homeland security always comes first. We have to remember that even though Americans complain about not being...
I wonder if Google will get nabbed by the FTC but they'd actually have to sell things through their store to do anything wrong. Last I read, the Google Play store didn't do much business so there might not be anything the FTC can do about them.
Philadelphia, great town, but now I know not to drive there because of all the road rage. The funny thing about drivers where I live is while they do have their stupid phone up to their ear, I also see them putting on makeup, shaving, eating, smoking with the other hand out the window, looking straight ahead and now scanning the street for potential problems, using paper maps in their lap, reading books, and of course yelling at their kids in the back seat. All of these...