or Connect

Posts by rob53

Sounds like we need to come up with a list of POS scanners that work all the time, work sometimes, or don't work at all. We also need to know how the POS terminal is configured. I know some stores let you swipe your card as soon as the cashier starts scanning items. I don't believe Apple Pay will work if you try and scan too early. It needs the final cost to properly complete the transaction. I also wonder where Apple is involved in the process. All POS terminals go...
The only time it didn't work for me was at Panera because their POS terminal was large and the sensitive area was not identified. The cashier, however, knew what the issue was and simply had me move my phone and it worked. This is all about training and support by the service hosting each POS terminal. Home Depot isn't technically supported and none of the cashiers know what I'm doing when I use my phone but it works, except it almost always requires a signature. I try all...
Anyone suing in the Eastern District of Texas knows they don't have a leg to stand on but hope they can buffalo the jurists into going against Apple. If they had sued anywhere else, I'd consider their claims but not now. I know Ericsson is a huge company but LTE is a standard and as such people who want to use this standard shouldn't be charged more than a reasonable amount and we know Ericsson is trying to gouge Apple simply because they are selling a ton of phones and...
Apple is only looking for those companies they feel will be happy to join them in a new venture. NBCUniversal doesn't fit that requirement because of it's owned by Comcast, the new Ma-Bell. As for Comcast sucking up Time Warner, why is the FCC even thinking about allowing them to do that. Put those two together and who's left? Talk about an obvious monopoly. Put the top two cable suppliers together servicing 33 million households and you it has a 40% share of current cable...
I can see this feature being used in conjunction with HealthKit and ResearchKit where participants or active users are required to enter information on a regular basis. This is the only way a research project would work so why not tie it to being able to use your iPhone. Too many people immediately look at this as a negative but many people need that incentive to do anything any keeping them from using their precious phone might be the only way to do it. If this is used by...
http://patft.uspto.gov/netacgi/nph-Parser?Sect1=PTO2&Sect2=HITOFF&p=1&u=%2Fnetahtml%2FPTO%2Fsearch-bool.html&r=9&f=G&l=50&co1=AND&d=PTXT&s1=7,997,906&OS=7,997,906&RS=7,997,906 Techniques for coupling interfaces parts using moveable magnetic elements, an Apple patent. I wonder whether Apple sees this headphone jack as being covered by their MagSafe patent, especially since this patent isn't only for the power connector.
If you read the actual patent filing, this system isn't exactly small. "x-length of the deflector, zoom lens system, light splitter and image sensors is in the range 18 mm-32 mm." (See first diagram, it's the total length of the optical system.) At a max of over 1" long, it would take up most of the top portion of an iPhone. The patent also talks a lot about the zoom capability, which conceivably could be the greatest enhancement with this system. We're talking optical...
Because Apple Pay is more than just the NFC connection, it's the secure connection between the iPhone, credit card company, and bank and non-US banks and credit cards have been approved yet. Doing it right takes more effort than just throwing it out there and collecting money along with major problems. Other than the problems caused by the banks lack of a stringent credit card approval process, I don't believe I've heard of any Apple Pay problems. This is how something...
I wish someone at Apple would contact Home Depot and help them properly program their system. I've used Apple Pay at different locations and some require a signature while others don't. The cashiers are surprised when I'm able to use Apple Pay, which shows they haven't been told it even works. Home Depot's servers were hacked and they still don't know what's going on with their POS terminals (point of sale). It's not just the users that need to be educated, it's the stores.
No, it's the parts that Apple rejects that make every other watch.