or Connect

Posts by rob53

Using enterprise MDM systems (maybe Apple Configurator as well) you can install apps that don't come from the App Store. This is so enterprises can installed specialized apps only available to them. If an enterprise installation allows its users to side-load apps through the MDM system, then the IT people should be fired.  Any application that is installed on any computer has the ability to infect the computer. That's why you need to know where you're getting your apps. As...
I understand you're stubbornness but the Fusion drive was created to speed up disk access at a time when SSD's were prohibitively expensive. In many ways they still are and getting some speed improvement using a combination of flash and hard disk storage still is a faster solution than using only hard drives. A Fusion drive is generally $200 more for the 128GB flash storage. This gives you either 1TB or 3TB of storage for the iMacs for a lot less than a 512GB or 1TB flash...
I'm looking at a RAID5 TB2, 6-drive setup. I know WiFi enabled things are all the rage but I have my computers hardwired for speed and integrity. As for Time Capsule, I would like to know how many people actually use it for grabbing a deleted file or a previous version. I don't use it (I use SuperDuper! to sync my drive every night) so I'm asking for a show of hands. This article is a review of the iMac 5K, not Time Capsule, so people can tell me its not appropriate to...
True but..... On a Fusion drive, all initial access is on the SSD except when loading a file off the hard drive onto the SSD. Once the file is on the SSD, all edits are done on the SSD and the hard drive is accessed a bit at a time when there's write cycles available. Of course, when the SSD fills up with edited files, it has to write (off-load) to the hard drive, slowing things down until the SSD has room again. Supposedly, the SSD portion keeps track of recently used...
You can always move your entire home directory to the external drive. (right click on user name in System Preferences/Users&Groups to get Advanced Options, select new location). This way you could get away with 256GB flash storage and put the money into a large RAID. I haven't tried this but having your home directory on the RAID should(?) allow you to carry your RAID to a different Mac and have everything except applications. I know you can run FileVault on an external...
Add a USB extension cable(s). If you're connecting to a camera that uses Firewire, then you have to connect using an adapter cable anyway. Adding side ports means creating a mother board with side ports or at least adding a sister board cabled to the mother board. This adds more things that could get messed up. 
I understand Apple created the iMac as an all-in-one computer but times have swung back to the individual, specialized component design. Apple can't pack the largest 3.5" drives in an iMac anymore because of heat and power so they are providing a I/O port that's just as fast as the internal PCIe bus. Yes, you'll pay more for an external drive but you'll have the opportunity for faster access and larger data storage while maintaining speed. I agree about getting the flash...
"Retina 5K display, buffed internals command $700 premium"   This is a little unfair. You're comparing the 5K, 3.5GHz i5, 1TB fusion drive, 2GB GPU, Thunderbolt-2 to the base 3.2GHz, 1 TB hard drive, 1GB GPU, Thunderbolt-1 iMac. The fusion drive alone adds $200 to the old iMac. The 3.2GHz iMac isn't offered with the 2GB 775M or faster 4GB 780M, which costs more as well (not $200 because the next step up iMac includes a faster CPU). The base 5K Mac offers a faster CPU,...
These sound normal for any company dealing with specialized products. IBM, Lockheed, NASA, even Microsoft would have similar requirements.
Let's go one step further. Apple should buy up Microsoft stock, do a hostile takeover, keep what they want (maybe just Word and Excel but dump Powerpoint, Sharepoint, and all the other garbage), and shut down the rest. This would be payback for everything Steve's "friend" did to Apple. Microsoft's only selling point is Office, nothing else. Take Office out of Microsoft and there isn't much left.  Why would Apple want Office? So they could take over all of the government...