or Connect

Posts by rob53

I'm trying to remember the last time a test actually taught me anything. A test, especially a standardized one for all the robot kids we're trying to educate (thanks SpamSandwich), doesn't teach a student anything and is only used to gauge how good their short-term memory is. That's why everyone continues to cram the night before a test then forgets everything during finals. If something a teacher tells you doesn't stick for more than a few weeks, it never will and is...
I don't want this to become a semantics conversation but what I was attempting to say is that people learn using different techniques, one way doesn't meet everyone's needs (my wife is a teacher, three of my brothers are teachers, and two of my sister-in-laws are teachers--I'm not but I get an ear full every time we meet). Saying "most people learn better with combined ..." doesn't necessarily apply. Each student is different, which is why the no student left behind...
Your comment only applies to picture books. Most students can only read one page at a time so comparing a single page to the iPad works for me.  Of course, "reading" is only one part of the educational process. Being able to experience what you're reading is something that's new. This is where a good multimedia book or web site viewed on a good visual device is at least as important as being able to read text. Many people learn better when seeing something instead of...
I agree but the DOJ would say this is anti-competitive behavior and go after the publishers again. I've always wondered why the reseller gets to do whatever they want to (as long as it's Amazon) while the publisher and author are held hostage. If the author wants to sell their book for $1000 why should a reseller have the right to drop that price? Would Amazon actually pay this author $1000 and turn around and sell it for $9.99 just to push it's garbage products? The...
I thought Apple was convicted of anti-competitive behavior (pending appeal) because of the most favored nation clause. Isn't this what sealed their fate? Now Amazon is demanding the same thing. What else do they need to do before the DOJ gets off their a** and starts investigating them. Amazon is providing them with so much ammunition I can't believe nothing has happened. They are worse than Microsoft was.
You probably don't own any physical artwork either or anything else that has value, instead getting digital copies of everything. Your statement about physical books is sad and a sign of a declining society.
"ABC News brings both live and on-demand streaming coverage of current events, with most content open to users without a cable subscription." It's about time we don't need cable to watch a broadcast show. ABC is broadcast for free over free airwaves so adding this channel should be free for everyone.
From the horse's mouth:   https://nest.com/legal/web-site-privacy-policy/   Device Usage information: If you are logged into your Nest account, we record the IP address you visit our website from, and if you have a Nest Learning Thermostat™or Nest Protect™, we record adjustments you make to the product through the website interface. We store this data along with your email address, information about your Nest device, data collected directly by the device, a history of...
Any bets on whether they will ever pay any amount on this?
I think it all depends on who owns the necessary patents and how much they're going to charge Apple for them. I'm sure Apple owns some wireless patents but not as many as Qualcomm. If Qualcomm would allow Apple to integrate their wireless LTE circuitry into the A-series chip that should be a bonus. It would make the A-chip larger if you assume they'd have to add most of the Qualcomm chips real estate to the A-chip but maybe there is some duplication between the chips. I've...