or Connect

Posts by rob53

Railroads aren't a particularly good analogy for the internet of today. Freight trains own the rails, with passenger trains only allowed on tracks when freight trains aren't running. Not all tracks are open to every train company, in fact most tracks can only be used by the train company that owns them. The home delivery lines are the only ones really owned by the internet companies and the only ones that really matter. iMessage and Netflix are like specialized locomotives...
I hope the Student Privacy Pledge becomes law because the insane state of Illinois just came out with a law that takes all freedom away from students. Illinois law now gives school administrators the legal right WITHOUT a subpoena or warrant to demand a student's social media password. What's going on in this country?    ---A letter sent to parents in the state states that "If your child has an account on a social networking website, e.g., Facebook, Instagram, Twitter,...
Here's a different way to compare the various CPUs using Geekbench benchmarks. The numbers are as of today using released and tested devices. (Too many to simply make a chart so I'm only listing URLs with the top CPU in each listing.)   http://browser.primatelabs.com/android-benchmarks  Single core test Android, HTC Nexus 9, NVIDIA Tegra K1 Denver 2499 MHz (2 cores) 1895 Samsung Galaxy Note 4, Samsung Exynos 5433 1300 MHz (8 cores) 1175 (included 2nd place since Tegra...
Flat fee? Which consortium? Ericsson wants a very high flat fee for their FRAND patents and what makes you believe Qualcomm wouldn't demand just as much? Apple pays for Qualcomm patents as well as other for other patents but if they could manufacturer their own LTE chip for less money than paying Qualcomm for the chip plus all the other patents costs, then it would make financial sense. Apple doesn't steal IP but they also don't like paying more for it that they should. An...
 This statement is way off base. Apple provides great chips for themselves, which constitutes a tremendous amount. They don't need to make chips for anyone else to be successful. They are making money for themselves by reducing the cost of iOS devices. Almost every other phone and tablet provider is using OTS garbage (sorry Qualcomm) that is competing for bottom end devices. Top end devices that try and compete with Apple are not making much money at all. Qualcomm and...
Except of course for all those standards-essential LTE patents Ericsson is suing Apple over. Since Ericsson is suing in the anti-Apple court of East Texas, they will benefit from the corrupt judges who almost always side against Apple in IP cases. If Apple really wanted to get around Qualcomm and Ericsson's patents, it would have to develop and patent the next level of cellular technology. Even if this happened, I'm sure the Chinese and Korean companies would simply ignore...
Maybe for some but there are others who see it differently. The only legal arrangement is documenting the marriage fact. The court doesn't require that you stay married or don't play around. It's only the religious ceremony that talks about that. One of the reasons to get married is so you can claim married status for taxes and get a break. :-) It would also be nice to get back on the topic of this article instead of bringing up the personal problems a person might or...
The sad thing about the animosity towards Dr. King and everything he stood for is there are still way too many people in the US who continue the hatred towards people of other colors and those who think different than they do. Apple's slogan of "Think Different" might work for computers and other devices but it continues to be a struggle for a large number of people in the US and around the world when interactions between people are concerned.    It's also sad how...
Try contacting the people at http://www.wbmllp.com/news/class-action-filed-against-apple-for-defective-2011-macbook-pro-laptops. They will want to talk to you over the phone, asking questions about your MBP and it's problems. Currently, they are only handling MBPs purchased in a few states.
I hope you're right but I contacted a programmer who works at Apple and he's heard and read about the problem. He's going to try and email Tim Cook directly but isn't holding his breath that anything will fix our problem. It is a problem and not simply something people are complaining about. I get wake from sleep crash messages and have log files documenting problems. We're not making these things up. As for Apple being perfect, they are a company that's in the business of...