or Connect

Posts by tribalogical

Tim Cook mentioned it, and looking at numbers, I'd agree... Probably the biggest reason iPad sales appeared to "decrease" year on year was the late timing of the new Mini release last year. Had it not been late, the "typical" seasonal slump of last year's quarter would have meant the sales were flat or slightly better this year. The late release 'artificially' increased 2nd quarter sales last year. Without such a late release, this year's numbers wouldn't have had a big...
 Wow... so you have no "version controls" in place? That's only costing your business a ton of money and giving up control of your own budgeting process. And speaks to my point exactly. I ran an interactive agency in Tokyo for 7 years. I know about working with outside graphic designers, freelancers, contractors, agencies, etc. We never required the "latest and greatest" version (nor was it ever required of us) because that was almost a guarantee of a "least likely to...
 I don't know, but it seems to me pretty silly to criticize a thing's functionality when you've never actually experienced it. Since it has no viewfinder, perhaps it makes very functional sense to have the view screen tilted for more convenient/natural position shooting? I think it's good to have a screen that tilts. You can position the camera anywhere and still compose your shot, right? This design does break with the "traditional" SLR body format. Perhaps it does so...
Samsung -- who declared internal crises of "design" and "understanding", desperately trying to comprehend (and replicate) how Apple gets their customers to flock to their stores and line up in droves for new product releases -- NOW declares that they KNOW the value (or lack thereof) of certain feature groups contained in those same Apple products. Can't have it both ways Sammy... either you do NOT understand why Apple is so successful (and therefore cannot meaningfully...
But... But... I thought, "Corporations are people too, my friend..."!
I could see them adding another .5 to .75" to the iPhone screen size. If nothing else just to partially accommodate the phablet-loving masses in Asia. Beyond that, I still think they'd be more inclined to make an iPad "nano" with a 6" screen size instead of a massive "phone". That said, it's also possible an iPad Nano could have some kind of telephony built in. As it is, FaceTime Audio over "iPad cellular" is almost that already, right? So why not? Still an iPad, not an...
 People keep chanting that "it makes sense for business" meme, but I don't see how that's true at all. How does the subscription model make better sense for companies? In my view it partially (or completely, depending) takes over control of a company's upgrade cycles. Which means you're in a very real sense taking some control of a company's budgets and expenditures. For example: In tough times, a company may want to wait a year longer than usual to upgrade systems...
Oh really? Until one fine morning, you try to run "Subscription Word" and get the message, "oops, sorry, this software has been updated and is no longer supported on Windows XP. Keep your Office Suite running smoothly... Upgrade to Windows 8 today!" Go have a look. Is Windows XP still supported by Office 365? If so, it won't stay that way for much longer. Mark my words. If an enterprise "subscribes" to software like Office 365, it will lose the ability to decide its own...
"Software Subscription"? Nope. Not now, not ever. M$ has at last lost me completely as a paying customer. I don't use Office anymore. Or Windows. I use (the free) Silverlight for Netflix, and that's it. What a sad testament. Adobe lost my future business as well. Because of their subscription model, instead of upgrading Creative Suite as I would usually do, I'm instead milking my current version until it's no longer viable, and seeking alternatives in the meantime....
 Whether or not it had a "use" during the interim period is irrelevant to the validity of the patent itself. Consider this example: some of the methods Apple chooses to patent today might not be immediately "useful" in part due to CPU power not being great enough when invented, but then down the road after Moore's law presses onward, processing power makes the patent viable. I know this from experience. I produce digital music, and I can tell you that much of what I do...