or Connect

Posts by tribalogical

I'm guessing you don't really know how these "payment transaction processing systems" actually work... ;) Monopolizing those would have happened a long time ago, if was remotely possible, which it probably isn't. Visa, Mastercard, American Express (and others who ride the backend systems like Cirrus, etc.).... they're about as close as we've ever come to "monopolies' within those systems...  As long as banking regulations remain within the confines of "national control"...
 Well then I agree with your main point. It certainly IS a do-nothing Congress. Which is what I've been saying from the start. I do blame the GOP (both in the House, and the obstructionist minority in the Senate) for most of it, bringing far too much ideology (and religious fervor!) into the political mix, and abusing systems which have worked so well for us until now.  Also agree we have too much gridlock, but again for the same reasons. Obstructionism (aka acting with an...
 And then this graphic, which is designed for the civically illiterate... the ignorati of the masses... Designed to make a person grumble at that "lazy obstructionist" Senate, and champion the good (GOP) people of the hard-working House except.......... "The House continues doing the work of the people. The Senate? Not so much." Yeah, except that if you actually know anything about how "the work of the people" works, you will know that those numbers actually say the Senate...
 A fairly one-sided set of links (aka opinions) there, Richard....   I'm sure we could get an equally one-sided POV from the DEM party website, no? GOP.gov, red alert, etc? Come on. See, I've read the "jobs bills", every single painfully-devoid-of-actual-solutions bill that the GOP has sent upstream. I am one of those boring people who watches c-span (or maybe just masochistic) and reads bills beyond the summaries on Thomas...   Bills on business (aka the welfare of...
 I'm not sure it's either fair or correct to characterize it this way. There's a process of moving legislation from start to finish. One step along the way may be that it moves from the House (introduced and passed there) to the Senate, and then there's a process to get it to the Senate floor for a vote. Committee review and considerations, additional debates, maybe some amendments... You make it sound like Reid is holding onto and blocking progress for hundreds of bills,...
 Do you know what those "plenty of bills sitting on Reid's desk" are? I think it's a fiction, but ok... I'm open minded.  Some examples, maybe? Meanwhile, what I get that you're saying, basically, is that there's a MAJOR backlog of really important, meaningful, major problem-solving solutions gathering dust on Reid's desk because, you know, that hard-working, deeply-caring and amazingly productive Republican House has clearly sent him a tsunami of MAJOR legislation and our...
 Sadly, no. They put some limits on the use of the filibuster under very specific conditions only (I think it had to do with cabinet appointments or some such). It hardly made using it impossible. On the contrary, the use of the filibuster as a simple tool of obstruction increased after that. Part of the reason Reid has started threatening more draconic measures against the filibuster. Meaningful isn't that subjective really. The ACA and the Economic Stimulus were...
 How can a minority obstruct? Using a much abused thing known as a filibuster, that's how. Most bills require a 'super majority' of 60% to pass anymore. The minority can indeed obstruct in perpetuity when they're willing to abuse the mechanisms that were meant for exceptional use...  It's amazing how few meaningful bills are being passed... thus the 'do nothing' label... More importantly, how few solutions to our interminable problems are being legislated for....
 I paid cash for my iPhone 5s 64GB model. I use T-Mobile service, prepaid @ a flat $50/mo, no extra taxes, fees or subsidies. I get unlimited voice, text & data (incl ~1GB/mo at 4G LTE speeds)... so my cost per month, divided into 24 months is about $80... would be less if I had bought the 32GB model... I had my last iPhone for almost 4 years. I replaced a 3GS with this one. I expect I'll keep the 5s for at least 3 years, so my monthly average cost will be more like...
Actually, the full line is, "what a cad, what a maroon!" And since he's quoting Bugs Bunny from Looney Tunes, I'm not sure how serious he is (or how serious you should be)....