or Connect

Posts by tribalogical

A couple of people here are trying to downplay the impact iPhone has had on NTT (DoCoMo). Let me tell you, they have lost FAR more than 1% of their subscriber base to 'iPhone switchers'. They have lost many millions of subscribers. In fact, all you have to do is count the total number of iPhone users in Japan to get a rough starting point. Before iPhone, close to 80% of all mobile subscribers were on NTT. That's dropped to roughly 50% today. They lost 30% of the market...
1. When was the last time Apple released a new product/upgrade that didn't have "inventory problems" at the outset? They sell by the millions over a couple of days. Huge initial demand, which they mitigate over a brief period, usually a couple of weeks. They aren't going to increase capacity to the point that they can satisfy 100% of release period demand on the day. That capacity would then sit fallow the rest of the time. It's a balancing act, for sure, but one they...
  a) Apple hasn't stopped growing, so there's nothing to "resume". b) How about providing a credible link backing your claim that "larger-screened smartphones are outselling iPhone"? (While it's true that the combined sales of the entire global smartphone market is larger than Apple iPhone alone, the 'large screen' smartphones are only a small percentage of that total.)   From what I've read, 5-inch phones don't sell nearly as well as the rest of their smaller...
 How has Apple getting licensed for China Mobile somehow "convinced you" that not making a bigger screen is "a mistake"? I don't get the connection. As for the rest, you clearly haven't been watching Apple's market share and sales trends over time… doing 'damage control' assumes there is damage. What damage? And as for momentum, they keep posting record sales and profits quarter after quarter (net margins were down recently, but that was expected in the current climate,...
  Apple is still selling as many devices as they can make for months after their release. Why lower prices and overwhelm the supply chain perpetually? You seem to be measuring "success" as "taking most of the market". That's fine, but it isn't something any company can do all at once and remain healthy.  China Mobile has 740mm customers, 138mm smartphone users (and growing). If Apple released a "cheap" phone into that market, they'd have to mass-produce crappy, high-volume...
 So, Apple made a 4:3 ratio 8" iPad Mini, and that's "copying everyone else's 16:9 ratio 7" tablets" just because they made a smaller iPad? What screen sizes are you referring to / comparing exactly? Where has Apple "copied" the screen sizes of someone else's tablet or phone? I'm looking for historical precedent to back up your premise here. Who said that Apple upsizing the phone screen size would a) in any way match Samsung's screen sizes (I would note that once again...
I lived in Japan for about 12 years. DoCoMo, like most of the U.S. carriers earlier on, were (and in many ways still are) accustomed to calling all the shots where the handset manufacturers were concerned. The carriers always dictated all the terms, and the manufacturers lined up to accommodate. Apple changed the rules of the game (not just releasing a game-changing handset, but changing the terms of the relationship at the same time). AT&T saw the potential, got their...
I've been anticipating a gap-filling 6" device from Apple for some time. The "iPad Nano" perhaps? Eventually: 13" iPad "Pro", 10" iPad, 8" iPad Mini, 6" iPad "Nano" (hybrid phone/pad?), 4" iPhone, 4" iPod Touch%u2026 That 6" middle-ground device could incorporate their evolving voice-based communication (FaceTime, now with the Audio-only feature coming with iOS7), or provide a cellular-based voice option. Either way, between FaceTime and Skype, not much prevents a person...
If the "Jabil" plant only produces Apple products, or is in any part owned by Apple, then yes, blame Apple. But what about blaming Jabil? Or the Chinese government? Or making other companies complicit that have products assembled there? Why are they singling out Apple? For that reason alone, this smells a bit funny to me. CLW went to the press first, instead of to Apple who is clearly responsive (unlike any other companies) to these kinds of findings. THey make much of...
All these "marketing shots" of the "smart watch" are all from the front, obscuring the body of it. I saw a few shots more from the side that reveal the true "clunkiness" of this beast. It's pretty thick, raising at least a half inch above the wrist. And seriously not good looking with those mismatched screws and materials textures. ANd then it needs a Note 3 alongside to function properly? No, I'll pass, thanks.