or Connect

Posts by tribalogical

What? You talk about all this as if it's all ancient history, and we're recounting how Apple crashed and burned 'back in the day'… in a tone resembling a recounting of history and their fatal mistakes...   The last I heard, Apple closed yet another quarter in RECORD SALES territory. Margins were off, but to be expected considering the broader market.    When someone creates a new market space, they briefly enjoy "huge leads" until the rest of the market joins in. THis...
  I wouldn't be oversensitive to what you observe in people walking down the street. Sales totals don't tell the whole story. Samsung stuffs the market with cheap, barely functional "smart phones" and gains 'market share' in the space. It looks like they're 'winning'. Apple has secure, high-margin, high-demand products that once owned have a loyalty base that is unrivaled.   I bought an Audi A6 back in '07. Before I bought it, but as I started considering it, suddenly the...
  Yes, sure. The same tired, PR-fed memes, trotted out ad nauseum like they're being read from a list of talking points are just "actual opinions"...     OK… Define "stale", and also explain why an OS has to be "exciting". My iPhone does EXACTLY what I NEED it to do *flawlessly*, and due to both Apple AND 3rd party developers it ALSO does amazing unexpected things that I sometimes don't need it to do, but it does those things *flawlessly* as well, AND I'm still using the...
  None of my (3) ex-iPhones ended up in a drawer… all of them (even my original iPhone 01) is still in use by friends or family members here and there. I'm still using my 3GS, and will "hand down" that one to my nephew when I upgrade this year.   My almost 4-year-old iPod Touch is still in service too, used as a full-service "PDA" by a colleague…     So of course I'm not sure, but I suspect a much larger percentage of those older iOS devices are still in service than the...
    "Clearly"? I don't see anything to indicate that they "need" those things at all. Just because you and a VERY few other people in the world say so? Interestingly, even FEWER of those saying "Apple need these things" ALSO say they would buy one or the other or both… on the contrary, I don't see many of the people promoting bigger/cheaper ALSO saying "I'd buy one". M-hm...   Right now, I can buy an iPhone 4S for $99 with contract. Get an iPhone 4 for $0 with contract....
Nice. 48 billion more "potential malware" downloads now in the wild...
  Um… Speaking of 'very clever'… like, the way you compared the older S3 to the latest generation iPhone (5) while completely ignoring the more comparable older iPhone models…?   How about comparing equivalent models (based on release history)? e.g. iP4S to the GS3 for example?     IP4S = $349 - $312 = $37 loss in value over the time period GS4 = $360 - $320 = $40 loss in value over the time period   Your point pretty much fails when you do that.   Apples to apples…...
  Sounds like 'selective observation' to me.   No question, Samsung has been selling well to the lower end market, using designs that mostly copy what Apple initiated back in '07 with the release of iPhone… But your subjective 70-30 and 60-40 projections don't necessarily reflect real sales numbers, nor do they compare meaningfully. Comparing iPhone to EVERYTHING Samsung makes is silly. That's like comparing cheaper compact class cars in your sales comparisons to Benz...
  First, whenever someone opens with "longtime Apple supporter here" I know they're about to disparage Apple history/strategy pretty thoroughly.   Second, when the post turns out to contain literally every familiar, negative 'talking point' -- presented in almost the exact same order! -- as I've seen rolled into a few dozen other posts on AI comment threads recently, I start to detect a pattern of premeditation. Seriously.    I watch this in the political sphere as well....
  I read through both, and found quite a few inconsistencies, mostly in the gigaom article. The author of that clearly doesn't understand what he's writing about. He quotes "Apple reports shipments not sales" but Dediu doesn't really say that in his blog article. He does indicate that about 5% of reported sales remain in channel inventory, which is quite different from what the gigaom article says, That essentially says of the 37 millions phones Apple sold, 11 million of...