or Connect

Posts by tribalogical

Well, there's the great irony. The same people calling Apple out on this issue are the same people who wrote the damned tax laws to begin with. All they need to do is legislate a fix to the "problem" they created, right?   Except THAT would then deprive them of income (and campaign contributions) they enjoy today, gained so often from the people and companies practicing exactly the same behavior as Apple (and Google).    It's a sideshow. Apple is a convenient whipping...
  The "Fair Tax" is actually a VERY regressive tax that essentially rewards the wealthiest and hits the poor the hardest. I love these creative names for egregious things, like this "Fair Tax" (equal to a very unfair, across-the-board regressive flat tax), or the "Patriot Act" (which very unpatriotically impeded portions of our rights).   I'm not against "all taxes", in fact, I'd like to revert to the original Constitutional tax structure, as envisioned by the founding...
  Yes, I was being partially facetious with my "apple invented the mouse" sentence… ;)   Englebart holds the patent on the two-wheel/cylinder X-Y roller behavior that enables positional input. A pretty ingenious idea. His ideas definitely gave birth to the mouse (he may even have given the mouse its name). Apple licensed that invention and incorporated it into a complete and useable end-product.    When I think of "the first copier" I don't think of the team of guys in...
  You can do that, be selective about which part of the journalistic community to 'seize upon' to make a point. There are a few that may indeed support your point with their stupidity. I wasn't referring to any articles that mix US numbers with worldwide numbers to create a false narrative. (You may notice I'm sensitive to the shipping vs sales, domestic vs global differences.)   Although we're not really talking about "all devices, all over the world" here, yes, Samsung...
Ooh, maybe the iWatch is actually the new "cheaper" iPhone….   Calling Dick Tracy!
  It IS? Really?   How can you say that the "iWatch", a purely speculative, still rumored device is already "too big to be wearable"? Based on what??   Maybe it's really small, thin and light, and turns out to be a perfect "integrated" device that gives you "hands-free" access to your home, computer, phone, tablet, car, is voice activated, and also makes a great health and exercise monitor, the list of possibilities goes on.   Surely you can "imagine" just a little bit of...
If you can't beat 'em, bribe 'em?
  And those represent what % of their total sales do you suppose? I'm thinking low single-digits… like, nearly fractional… Considering Apple's distribution network, there's little left to unknowns.   They seem to have a clear and confident handle on SALES and Channel Inventory (which they differentiate, which implies they have a pretty accurate sense of the numbers).   Your point is pretty moot when the market space you're referring to is such a small fraction of the rest...
  PROFITS: Apple does not "funnel most of its profit to overseas subsidiaries". That's a false narrative and completely, unequivocally wrong. They keep the profits EARNED ABROAD (and only those profits earned abroad) in accounts abroad, to avoid being DOUBLE TAXED at the maximum corporate rate of 35% if they were to bring those profits to the US. They do NOT "funnel" profits from domestic earnings to those overseas accounts. What you said is simply a falsehood trotted out...
  It doesn't matter when, we're discussing the behavior, not the actual sales numbers or time period. The yawn disappears when you realize how egregiously they were representing their falsified numbers before those court documents revealed the reality of their market position… it set them up to be seen as outright liars, and nothing less.   That 'smoke and mirrors' behavior clearly continues. There is no question that they're growing and increasing profit/share… a great...