or Connect

Posts by tribalogical

I've been running companies for over 25 years. That statement of yours is absolute hogwash born of ignorance. Sorry, I just had to say it.
 I don't consider "employment status" as a criteria to begin with, period. I look for qualifications and a good fit, first and foremost.  That said, if both qualified I would absolutely lean toward hiring the person qualified but unemployed. Why? Well.... One, it brings relief to someone qualified and needing income. Why pass over someone who needs a job to give it to someone who already has one?? It makes no sense at all without a very good reason!  Two, I'm not poaching...
 So you're saying you bailed on iOS 7.0? The first release version? Yes, there were some early issues, but they made four rapid point updates soon after release that addressed pretty much all the issues, and some additional feature adjustment/additions. I'm not sure if that feature was missing from the original release though. I recall setting mine to require Touch ID (I think it defaulted to 2 minutes) from the first time I set it up, but I was using 7.0.3 at the...
 Monkey Wrench or Screwdriver?
I think you're backwards on the effect of the buyback. And you also have to count in the dividends paid out of revenue. The net profit is "final", that is after all expenses including share repurchasing and dividends. If you analyze Apple's annual financial reports for 2012 and 2013, you'll see that there are quite a number of factors affecting the (frankly minimal) downturn in net margins and profits.  Just a few examples among them:- substantially increased COGS (this is...
 the "discount" you suggested is contained in those gift cards he's talking about. because of the gift cards, he essentially "saved" $50.... see how that works? Effectively the same as a $50 price drop. The end result in some cases was that you paid $50 for a phone on contract (e.g. a 16GB iPhone 5c), and then got a $50 gift card, essentially reducing the out of pocket cost to zero.
 I've been avoiding your incessant rant here, but now I'm getting annoyed by it. So I'm going to engage it instead.  I'm not at all clear by what you mean when you say "profits down 10%" in the last year. Where are you getting this? What are you referring to exactly?  Margins? Annual net earnings total?  You're the first and only person I've seen that is using those words here (or anywhere else I've read). "Profits down 10% the past year".  It seems to me that it's also an...
"She's set to be named a Dame of the British Empire...."   Somehow I couldn't help imagining Humphrey Bogart's voice saying that as I read it. Something about the way he pronounced "dames" I guess! :D 
 I was being mildly facetious about the warehouse thing.... As for the rest...  Apple's "shipments to channel" aren't what we're referring to exclusively when we talk about Apple sales. They differentiate between sales and shipped to channel (channel being 'third party retailers' like Best Buy and Target?). They are very different than their competition in this regard, in part because of how they manage inventory.  Do any of these analyses quoted around here take into...
 oh but they are. Samsung just doesn't report it. They don't subtract "returns" from "the number shipped". Apple sold 51 MILLION phones, with roughly 40 million of those estimated to be the flagship 5s model. Samsung sold 9 million of their S4. 40 sold, vs 9 shipped. If Samsung only shipped 9 million to their warehouses, there aren't many returning yet. Wait until next quarter!