or Connect

Posts by tribalogical

I would certainly defend their trademark of the name "Candy Crush Saga" in its entirety. And would support their defense of it if someone named a competing game "Candy Stomp Saga", or "Candy Bash Saga", or "Candy Saga Smash", or anything else that would literally cause confusion in the brand.   But I call "PRIOR ART" on the individual words in context nonsense.   For example: anyone ever play the board game "Candy Land" (aka "Candyland") as a kid?  Well, they also have...
 It's a very "American" perspective. Are you well traveled? I've spent half my adult life living abroad (12 years of it in Tokyo, where I built and ran two different companies). I can say with assurance that the attitude toward labor is quite different elsewhere. The US is definitely having a negative effect on that culture in some places, but for the most part, labor is viewed quite differently. Much more value is placed in the worker, and the worker provides much greater...
 Well, and there's a company I wouldn't pin my loyalties on. psh! I'm seeing such screwed up priorities in this thread, I'm pretty sure not many of you commenting here have actually built and run companies before. I would hire the unemployed person if they qualified, were a good fit, brought something extra, and I'd pay them according to the value they bring to the company. Every position needs a range, and you vary it based on their competency, experience and skill. Give...
I've been running companies for over 25 years. That statement of yours is absolute hogwash born of ignorance. Sorry, I just had to say it.
 I don't consider "employment status" as a criteria to begin with, period. I look for qualifications and a good fit, first and foremost.  That said, if both qualified I would absolutely lean toward hiring the person qualified but unemployed. Why? Well.... One, it brings relief to someone qualified and needing income. Why pass over someone who needs a job to give it to someone who already has one?? It makes no sense at all without a very good reason!  Two, I'm not poaching...
 So you're saying you bailed on iOS 7.0? The first release version? Yes, there were some early issues, but they made four rapid point updates soon after release that addressed pretty much all the issues, and some additional feature adjustment/additions. I'm not sure if that feature was missing from the original release though. I recall setting mine to require Touch ID (I think it defaulted to 2 minutes) from the first time I set it up, but I was using 7.0.3 at the...
 Monkey Wrench or Screwdriver?
I think you're backwards on the effect of the buyback. And you also have to count in the dividends paid out of revenue. The net profit is "final", that is after all expenses including share repurchasing and dividends. If you analyze Apple's annual financial reports for 2012 and 2013, you'll see that there are quite a number of factors affecting the (frankly minimal) downturn in net margins and profits.  Just a few examples among them:- substantially increased COGS (this is...
 the "discount" you suggested is contained in those gift cards he's talking about. because of the gift cards, he essentially "saved" $50.... see how that works? Effectively the same as a $50 price drop. The end result in some cases was that you paid $50 for a phone on contract (e.g. a 16GB iPhone 5c), and then got a $50 gift card, essentially reducing the out of pocket cost to zero.
 I've been avoiding your incessant rant here, but now I'm getting annoyed by it. So I'm going to engage it instead.  I'm not at all clear by what you mean when you say "profits down 10%" in the last year. Where are you getting this? What are you referring to exactly?  Margins? Annual net earnings total?  You're the first and only person I've seen that is using those words here (or anywhere else I've read). "Profits down 10% the past year".  It seems to me that it's also an...