or Connect

Posts by tribalogical

I haven't been to these events for the past couple of phone versions, nor for the iPads… perhaps something has changed? At the time the 3GS was released, most people were doing the activations themselves, not "sitting down" (genius bar?) in-store at time of purchase to do that process. It is intended to be user manageable and straightforward, designed for doing oneself...   As I understood it, that activation process has become even smoother and easier. I'd be surprised...
Maybe there are two ways to view the "shortage" in this instance: One way to view it is that the in-cell display manufacturing was "inadequate" and so that single part is now constraining supply. Or... NO part of the supply chain was actually "inadequate". Rather, sales for the launch weekend were so over the top HUGE that some part of the supply chain was bound to fall short. Would Apple have had another few million handsets on hand to sell if they HADN'T moved to the...
    Sure they do! They probably can't sustain that on an ongoing basis in just any store, but some stores can definitely do "burst" selling when they have stock and are set up for it on a launch day. In one example I observed in Los Angeles: On the launch day for the 3GS, they had large stacks of new product forming a wall at the back of the store. Customers in line were moved inside in three queues that were being processed (sales completed via the handheld cashiers) in...
  Good! More for the rest of us! Shorter wait times. Now I'll get my new phone twelve seconds sooner! Woo hoo!   It isn't like you're going to "suffer" by holding onto the iPhone 4 awhile longer. My 3GS is only now starting to show some battery-time slippage, but is otherwise a FINE phone (and iOS 6 ready, go figure!). I'll probably make the iPhone 5 my next phone. In a month or two maybe… no hurry. And by then I'm sure they'll be plentiful and in stock, Maps (gasp!...
300 physical stores setup for the "stack and quick-swipe" parade… I've seen how they manage the big releases. It's pretty efficient. Easily a thousand transactions an hour, if not more than that.   I don't see 5 million being a problem, even if they physically had the stock. But this is a combination of physical locations, online sales, reseller sales, etc. I'm not sure if the 5 million number includes the "pre-orders" we saw previously (2 million in the first 24...
I'm curious if the 5 million number includes the pre-orders that started the week or two before? They had 2 million pre-orders just in the first 24 hours of launching those. I would assume something like 5 million pre-orders over the remaining pre-order period alone%u2026 If this 5 million is on top of that? Wow...
Ahhh, the usual Analyst Games.    Sometimes I think Apple is the only stock where a device can have record-smashing sales over a single weekend (5 MILLION units!) and yet, the stock will STILL lose 10 points just because the ANALYSTS said it would be more, and the sales "fell short".   Name one other device that sold 5 MILLION units on its launch weekend, and tell me, in what way did that "fall short" of ANY expectations, other than perhaps the contrived...
I've had an iPhone 3GS "scuff free" for a few years now. Is this because it's MIGHTY and the new iPhone is weak? Or… is it because... - It has ALWAYS lived in a hard-shell case - I NEVER put it in a pocket with KEYS and COINS for it to rub up against. - I don't drop it unprotected onto gravel driveways… And so on? I'm really not sure. Maybe in a side by side scratch/drop/abuse and otherwise pocket-mangle test, the new iPhone will lose the battle. Or maybe not. One thing...
  To push this a little further… I don't particularly LIKE the stitching on the calendar app, but that's not because it's "poor design", it's because it doesn't appeal to my aesthetics at all… Still, I also question the value of it. I think ALL of an interface should serve some purpose… in this case, it says "I'm a desk calendar"… OK, maybe a bit too loudly.   A good example of skeuomorphics used right and applied well (in my opinion) are found in apps like...
I'm on the fence about it. I think the "embellished" interface has its place, especially if it helps to create focus or improve context. For example, I don't have a problem with a little 'eye candy' or visual indicators like these to set similar apps apart more effectively… However, it's one of those things that can VERY easily be abused or over-used or just inappropriately applied. I don't think the argument isn't so black and white, universally use or don't use. It will...