or Connect

Posts by Sierrajeff

Who's bringing the drinks?  And I have dibs on the chair, my back hurts.
I have no idea what you just said.
Do you honestly think that that Google image of Warwick and Stratford was cluttered?  In one glance I can see city names, village names, and 3 levels of roadways, with labels.  For someone on the go -- maybe behind the wheel, or rushing to get to a bus stop, etc., that "at-a-glance" versus having to zoom zoom zoom (and therefore also scroll, scroll, scroll to see the same larger area) -- makes a great difference.
  Setting aside the fact that I don't think I should have to be Apple's free cartographer - how does lowly me "fix" Apple's decision not to use different emphasis for the "A" routes versus the "M" routes in the U.K., for example?  Or how do I "fix" Apple's decision not to show building outlines and names on university campuses?  These are not situations where "Oops, you mislabelled one of the most famous towns in the U.K., but no worries I've 'fixed' it for you"; these...
Setting aside my kneejerk "Ugh!" attitude to your praise of crowdsourcing (and why should I be Apple's free cartographer; I just want to *use* the map!), this is not simply about missing or broken data.  For example look at the images of Bowling Green State University on that tumblr link - in the Google image, the building outlines and names are shown, as are footpaths.  One source, all the info I need (were I to ever go to BGSU, that is...).   On the Apple map, all...
My comment here applies to many who have said "just report the problem" or "just wait, in a year or two it will be much better".  I don't want to be Apple's free cartography-checker and beta-tester.  Apple has $100 billion in the bank.  They either should have made a stellar product from the get-go, or not forced iMaps on everyone (who upgrades to iOS 6, which I apparently won't be doing soon) before it was ready.
How do you get, from those images, that "the only legitimate complaints... are the accuracy and clarity of the satellite and flyover imagery"?  Do you not even see, e.g., that entire towns are gone?   In the U.K. image, I don't have to ask Google for more info if I want to go from Warwick to Stratford; I can tell just by looking that I need to take the A429 and then the A46.  (And mind you I'm sitting in Silicon Valley and have never been there; I can literally just...
Well, yes.  At least in general - by which I mean, if Apple makes a decision to replace "X" with "Y", then "Y" had better be pretty much just as good as "X".  You can't take a well-done product (like Google Maps) and throw it away for a glorified beta iMaps, and expect people not to be angry.  And given that Apple's sitting on $100 billion, there's really zero excuse for not having iMaps be whiz-bang perfect from the start.
What are "ads"?  (Seriously, how can someone be geeky enough to visit sites such as Appleinsider and MacRumors and yet not savvy enough use an ad block add-on to their browser?)
Works great as a shim under a table leg.  Or a hockey puck (briefly).  Or you could get a set and use them as high-tech coasters.