or Connect

Posts by snova

did they show the video on a Samsung TV?
Awesome. Everyone who wants to use up 50MB/photo on their smart phone; raise their hand.  The dirty secret about RAW, is that you rarely know ahead of time when you are going to need it. Therefore you need to shoot with RAW generated all the time to actually be able to use it at the rare times when you could benefit from it.  In my DSLR, I have both JPEG and RAW generated at the same time.  I first pull in the JPEGs only. If I find some photo would actually benefit from...
" And that's the only thing I need is *this*. I don't need this or this. Just this ashtray... And this paddle game. - The ashtray and the paddle game and that's all I need... And this remote control. - The ashtray, the paddle game, and the remote control, and that's all I need... And these matches. - The ashtray, and these matches, and the remote control, and the paddle ball... And this lamp. - The ashtray, this paddle game, and the remote control, and the lamp, and that's...
Samsung Note 3 already has 3GB of RAM.   Adding the need to address peripherals and I think its easy to see that they are already at the limit of 32 bits addressability.   They need it more than Apple did, who is currently at 1GB RAM even on the iPad Air.  See my signature below.
You are right on the money. Commercial quality printing is 300 dpi.  You said 300dpi was "Good".   If that is "Good", then what is flawless? Also keep in mind the larger the print, the longer the effective required viewing distance (i.e. lower required dpi).  This is why 10MP scales out to a much larger print size than 7MP.
abazigal,you are quite welcome. Ironically this takes us full circle to think about camera MP needs from a printer perspective.   These days most photos never get printed and live out their life on a 72 dpi screen (typically 1MP - see the chart I posted above) or Phone screen with about the same effective pixels.  If you are lucky enough to have a Retina iPad, we are talking 3MP.  For those which do make it to prints, most are 4x6 (which if you look at the chart above...
I think the decision for PDF may have been a bit more simplistic and historical in nature.   As you recall, Apple and Adobe got together and developed the Laserwriter printer. This printer used the Adobe Postscript language as its basis for rendering.  It produce beautiful  output but it was not exactly "What You See Is What You Get" (WYSIWYG) at the time because the display rendering engine was not in sync with the printer rendering engine.  So when Steve got kicked out...
Lorin,that pretty close, 300 dpi over 8x10 print is just a bit over 7MP.   300dpi is beyond "EXCELLENT" quality.    10MP will allow to print 20x30 print at beyond Excellent quality and that print will cost you over $25 to make. Not including framing costs. Price in the glass, frame and mat and you are looking at some serious cash to print from that 10MP camera phone.  here is chart from B&H Camera which might help align need MP to desired print size.  The following chart...
I think a lot of people think Apple is behind TB and FW.  However, this is not true. For TB:Intel, is the one who primarily developed TB.. As you know it basically PCIe and Display Port (VESA) over a different transport.  Apple's contribution is the mini Display Port compatible connector.  For FW:As you know its really called IEEE 1394 and was developed by an IEEE working. Firewire is Apple's branding, like of like "Super Drive" for DVD Burners. Other companies brand it...
I think Lorin was referring to standards.  I am not sure we can always say Apple is behind in adapting new standards or getting rid of them as appropriate.  Lets see. Adopting stuff:- USB 1.0 for keyboard and mice.  I think they lead here compared to rest of the industry.- 802.11b wireless networking.  I think they lead here compared to rest of the industry. 802.11ac came on both their Access Points, Time Capsule and MBA.  Not sure we need it yet for iPhone However. -...