or Connect

Posts by Beerstalker

Some do both, but they still tend to have false alarms because they still sound hte alarm if they see smoke. As far as looking for light, again that doesn't work if the fire is in walls, floors, or attics. The more features you add to something the more expensive it is.  Have you looked into similar detectors?  They aren't exactly cheap either.  They aren't as expensive as the Nest, but they don't offer all the same features either.  Just wifi interconnected and talking...
 Boy, why don't they do that, maybe because it is pretty much impossible. To make a fire detector you usually have to rely on one or two things.  Detecting heat, or detecting smoke. It is pretty dangerous to rely on a detector that looks for heat.  If the fire is in another room, inside a wall, under a floor, in the attic, etc. the heat detector can't really see it.  That means the house can completely fill up with smoke and people can die without the detector ever going...
I don't think many of you that are saying the wave feature is stupid have ever actually used the Nest Protect.  The wave feature is actually very useful, and it isn't as easy to silence the alarm as many of you seem to think.  Also, as far as I know the wave feature only works after an initial voice warning has been sounded such as "smoke detected in kids room" or "carbon monoxide detected in basement".  Its not like you can just stand below the Nest at any time and wave...
My guess is this will just be something like the existing XFINITY TV Go app getting released on the AppleTV, and you will have to be an existing Comcast customer to use it, just like you do on the iPad/iPhone.   https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/xfinity-tv-go/id552293383?mt=8   Not a bad idea, but not exactly groundbreaking.  Would probably be pretty nice for people that travel a lot and take their AppleTV with to hook up in hotels.
This does not suprise me at all.  The 2014 aftermarket units have most likely had their designs ready for months now and are already in production since they usually get released in spring or early summer.  These companies aren't going to try to make last minute changes to try to implement CarPlay.  New cars however don't normally get released until late summer or early fall, that gives car manufacturers a lot more time to get their systems ready to go.  Not to mention...
 So you think that Amazon trying to start a competitor to Netflix (that charges customers $10/month) and Hulu Plus (that charges $8/month) isn't increasing Amazon's costs?  You think the streaming rights to all those movies and TV shows, as well as lending rights to the ebooks don't cost them anything?  Now Amazon is starting to get their own exclusive shows too, you think that doesn't cost anything?  These things are costing millions of dollars, and I am way more...
 I used the contact us link after going to the help page. Should be a yellow button on the right hand side of this page.http://www.amazon.com/gp/help/customer/display.html/ref=gw_m_b_he?ie=UTF8&nodeId=508510
Quote: Just cancelled my Prime account effective the last day of my current membership. Then I sent Amazon an email telling them that I was unhappy about the increase and the bundled benefits. Said if they broke it up like I mentioned earlier I would resubscribe, but I won't pay more because of streaming and kindle borrowing that I don't use. Hopefully a lot more people do the same and Amazon considers splitting them.
I agree with Nofeer.  I am most likely cancelling my Prime membership over this.  I do not use the Prime streaming or eBook functions, which are likely the biggest reasons for this increase.  If Amazon were to break this up into a Prime shipping for $79 and Prime Streaming for $20, then I would gladly subscribe to Prime Shipping and they could keep getting my $79 a year.  As it is they are likely going to lose my $79 a year, rather than get an extra $20 from me.
The Volvo system looks pretty nice.  Like the guy said in it Siri is most likely how you are going to interact with Carplay the most, and he showed how it worked for some things.  My guess is it could have been used much more, but he also purposely used the touchscreen to show how it works also, without repeating the same tasks both ways.   Ferrari is known to have a horrible infotainment system (along with most of the other supercars).  These systems have pretty much...