or Connect

Posts by Beerstalker

OK, so it looks like my earlier assumption was right.  The programmers must need to update their apps in order to make them work with Carplay, just like they have to for Airplay.  Spotify was not being blackballed like some people assumed when it was left off the initial list of compatible apps.   If Kenwood comes out with a new model next year that supports carplay I may finally decide to upgrade my old DDX6019.
If I remember right Nest admitted there was a batch made with bad sensors that caused this to happen.  Replaced them all for free or offered refunds.  I think there was also a batch with bad batteries that were dead when they arrived, again Nest offered free replacement batteries or a refund. While it does seem like they have hit a few roadbumps with this product they do seem to be working very hard to take care of their customers when they happen.  And it seems like the...
 That one-link requires the smoke detectors to be hard wired together, which many homes do not have.  This is the one that is a closer match to the Nest Protect. http://www.amazon.com/First-Alert-SCO501CN-3ST-SCO500-Combination/dp/B000EVO7C2/ref=sr_sp-atf_title_1_2?s=hi&ie=UTF8&qid=1403024577&sr=1-2&keywords=first+alert+one+link+wifi It features the WiFi link between units and talking alarm to tell you which room is triggering the event.  Seems to run between $60-80 which...
Here's the page on Nest's website about the "Heads Up" and Emergency alarms.   http://support.nest.com/article/What-s-the-difference-between-Heads-Up-and-Emergency-Alarms   I personally love the feature.  Saved me twice last winter from having a really upset baby in the middle of the night.  The humidifier in the baby's room got set too high and the room filled with fog.  The Nest detected it as smoke and gave us a "heads up" that woke us up but not the baby.  We were...
 First, we need to make clear here you can only silence the "heads up" alert.  The "heads up" alert sounds when the Nest senses some smoke/CO, but not enough to be an emergency.  The Nest gives you a "heads up" that says hey I see this room has some smoke or CO in it, you might want to check this out.  That gives you time to go to that room and see what is going on.  Maybe it is the electric heater turning on for the first time that fall and all the dust is burning off...
 Thanks, I went and submitted to get my credit as well.  I'll probably put that $66 toward buying another one like you said. I've had them for about 6 months now and am really happy with them.  I liked the wave to silence feature, but it sounds like now you can silence by just hitting the button, or using the app, so that will work fine too.  Probably a little bit better than waving, since I found I had to sit there under the detector waving my arms back and forth numerous...
 Some do both, but they still tend to have false alarms because they still sound hte alarm if they see smoke. As far as looking for light, again that doesn't work if the fire is in walls, floors, or attics. The more features you add to something the more expensive it is.  Have you looked into similar detectors?  They aren't exactly cheap either.  They aren't as expensive as the Nest, but they don't offer all the same features either.  Just wifi interconnected and talking...
 Boy, why don't they do that, maybe because it is pretty much impossible. To make a fire detector you usually have to rely on one or two things.  Detecting heat, or detecting smoke. It is pretty dangerous to rely on a detector that looks for heat.  If the fire is in another room, inside a wall, under a floor, in the attic, etc. the heat detector can't really see it.  That means the house can completely fill up with smoke and people can die without the detector ever going...
I don't think many of you that are saying the wave feature is stupid have ever actually used the Nest Protect.  The wave feature is actually very useful, and it isn't as easy to silence the alarm as many of you seem to think.  Also, as far as I know the wave feature only works after an initial voice warning has been sounded such as "smoke detected in kids room" or "carbon monoxide detected in basement".  Its not like you can just stand below the Nest at any time and wave...
My guess is this will just be something like the existing XFINITY TV Go app getting released on the AppleTV, and you will have to be an existing Comcast customer to use it, just like you do on the iPad/iPhone.   https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/xfinity-tv-go/id552293383?mt=8   Not a bad idea, but not exactly groundbreaking.  Would probably be pretty nice for people that travel a lot and take their AppleTV with to hook up in hotels.