or Connect

Posts by VanFruniken

Flash is dying. This may speed the process up. Yet, there still are lots of mostly-Flash websites around. Worse, some new Flash designs are still being created. The trouble is, all those Flash developers have known this for quite some time, but - Flash is their livelihood, because this is what they know best - They trick their clients into accepting heavily Flash-based web site designs, knowing that at some point they will be asked for an entire Flash-free site overhaul,...
It is somewhat disappointing that Swift leaves the SmallTalk syntax behind. I would have thought that Modern Obj-C take 2 would - resemble F-Script even more (do away with the bracket syntax for messages) - unify base types and classes (in F-Script, every value is an object, but Swift also tries to do this -- we'll see) - provide more developer friendly string manipulation syntax
On EU's behalf I would like to argue that many of the little regulations, some of which appear ridiculous and exaggerated, hence become news items --often out of context--, are part of a bigger plan to unify standards among a wildly diverse collection of nations. Imagine what would happen if products in the US would all be different (and incompatible) between states. These EU nations are playing hard to get when it comes to giving up some of their authority to the EU,...
Big omission: still no scanner sharing. (Apparently being a client to a scanner shared by another machine still seems supported).   Is there any particular technical reason why scanner sharing disappeared from OSX? Does Apple really want us to buy OSX Server? Doesn't seem warranted in a household with 2-3 Macs.
Sounds quite noisy. Why isn't this mentioned? Also, can the green and red lights be turned off? (Think: stealth operation). It would be nice for a drone to use sonar techniques. Then it could also fly itself without bumping into anything.
"...Apple's multinational App Store requires developers adhere to the laws of the territory in which their apps are offered."   Then what's the problem? Apple already has a policy of NOT offering certain apps in certain regions (something I disapprove of vehemently). So it does have a mechanism to ONLY block the app from the countries where BitCoin is considered illegal.   Agreed, there is a risk involved in the use of BitCoin, but if that would be enough reason for...
While they changed the colors to avoid confusion with Lion/iOS6 icons, the icons are immediately familiar and recognizable. They correctly felt not to be influenced by the iOS7 look. (The fact they also kept aqua blue for the Cocoa widgets, either means they are a little behind, or they decided that too gray an interface isn't the way to go -- given that the traffic light buttons in the left upper corner of the windows are rather large, I suspect their main inspiration is...
Google? Only ONCE ! It started when they first had someone on Apple's board, and it hasn't ended today.
For those who wonder what possible interest Google could have in buying Nest :   Simple, they wanted an Android app for the Nest.
Typo !!! With such a well-chosen brandname (which suggest that you can't type correctly on it), I guess they won't be selling too many of these keyboards.