or Connect

Posts by VanFruniken

One of Google's strategies is to trick iOS users to download their apps from the iOS appStore, e.g., by highlighting and putting in prominent places buttons that achieve this. The button for the logical (and most used) next step is often de-emphasized and put in the wrong place. For example: on the (basically useless) splash page, you have the "download mobile app". When one wants to logout of the gmail web page, the sign out button sometimes is out of sight, and...
I wonder how Power8 could be fitted into the OS X strategy?Do you by any chance think OS X is still being secretly maintained to run on PowerPC-like hardware?
I just hope IBM's new apps will get enough public exposure such that the average home consumer has an idea of what's available. The BYOD effect also emanated from the home user who preferred Apple hardware at home over what the IT people were trying to shove down employees' and managers' throats at work.
The trouble is that some (think Google, NSA) logs are retained for a very long time, allowing retroactive lookup of your entire history, with or w.o. warrant.
1) True enough, my particular situation probably is of little interest, but actually, many Apple users (in particular the ones that own several iDevices) are in the same situation. They may only benefit from the new advances when the time comes that they have to replace their older iDevices.   2) point well taken. For the time being, at least, the appleTV doesn't make use of the iCloud Drive
Well, what good is it to have an iCloud Drive on one device, while it'll take years before all my other iDevices will be replaced with new ones so they can take advantage of this feature? I am not that rich to renew my entire iDevice park at the whim of a new software feature that provides no backward compatibility whatsoever with older devices. Pfff. These days Apple seems to focus more on switchers and new customers that on people who actually have many devices which...
I for one am not going to be trapped by migrating my most recent device (a 2013 iMac) to iCloud Drive. Because I will lose compatibility with 2 iPhones, 2 iPads, and one appleTV. Why can't Apple just provide small incremental updates to older systems, in order to *not* *further* *fragment* *the* *Apple* *Ecosystem* ?
Logging everything (and then allowing access to everything with or without out a warrant) is what got us this far. The warrant should only be valid for a restricted period (and should not be retroactive). Otherwise, no cigar. But the mere fact that accessible logs exist poses an enormous security threat and a tempting opportunity for government to break the law covertly.
Flash is dying. This may speed the process up. Yet, there still are lots of mostly-Flash websites around. Worse, some new Flash designs are still being created. The trouble is, all those Flash developers have known this for quite some time, but - Flash is their livelihood, because this is what they know best - They trick their clients into accepting heavily Flash-based web site designs, knowing that at some point they will be asked for an entire Flash-free site overhaul,...
It is somewhat disappointing that Swift leaves the SmallTalk syntax behind. I would have thought that Modern Obj-C take 2 would - resemble F-Script even more (do away with the bracket syntax for messages) - unify base types and classes (in F-Script, every value is an object, but Swift also tries to do this -- we'll see) - provide more developer friendly string manipulation syntax