or Connect

Posts by VanFruniken

[Sarcasm] Yes, they should. They don't deserve to be in the EU. They try to dominate all aspects of the EU, yet they are slavishly following the US as far as international policy is concerned. They are not very willing contributors to the EU finances. Let them go back to nondecimal currency en nonmetric units. Let them join the US instead. ...Aw, no, they may have to switch driving to the right. BTW, they will continue to speak funny, as can be observed from Brits...
About non-cylindrical extension boxes   For external hard disk storage, one could also add a rather flat and wide cylindrical extension chassis and put *that* underneath the MacPro, giving it an appearance not unlike the Cray-1.   cf. this Cray-1 picture
What the new Mac Pro needs is a flat and wide Thunderbolt expansion chassis, designed to sit underneath the MacPro, so that it looks like the Cray-1 (How appropriate, given its number crunching capabilities) ! cf. this Cray-1 picture A Thunderbolt connector underneath the MacPro to invisibly dock with the expansion chassie would come in handy. Such an expansion chassis would have room for an indeterminate number of expansion HDs, optical drives, even expansion...
Until the new desktop version of Pages is able to import documents from the previous (i.e., very recent) Pages version, I won't be using it. This is the second transition where Apple decided that its own apps wouldn't be able to read previous documents. Indeed, iWork, which clearly draws heavily upon AppleWorks, handles AppleWorks documents very poorly, if at all. Now we are faced with a similar incompatibility. Please Apple, clean up your act. In the MacOS days up to...
One more thing.   I used to have lots of iChat correspondents. Today I hardly have a few. Every time these people go through a new iOS/OSX/hardware upgrade, something changes, and a lot of iChat users are lost in the process. They used to text, audiochat, videochat, but nowadays they use Skype, or turned back to using the phone. Granted, there previously was no integration with SMS messageing, but at least Apple users could communicate amongst each other no...
If only Apple wouldn't fragment its iChat/FaceTime ecosystem so badly. For every version of the iPhone/iPad/iPodTouch hardware, of iOS and OSX, different considerations apply (for the user to find out !!!). Why not merge those applications and let them determine for themselves (yes, that's what computers are for), on the basis of the 2 connecting devices, which connection modes are supported: texting, sound, video. I am a power user, but these days, I don't know what to...
What AppleTV needs is CEC. Apple will never make an AppleTV that is a (physical) switchbox for all possible data sources that need to connect to your TV set. CEC is a protocol where HDMI devices are allowed to control each other. Customarily, all data sources are connected to your TV set. All the AppleTV needs to do is to use CEC to interrogate the TV's capabilities (available inputs), then tell the TV to accept input from the input you select. As soon as I operate the...
In reference to the Cray 1 picture in the article I would like to suggest Apple or third parties to manufacture an extension chassis for the MacPro, that would sit comfortably underneath and offer loads of space for Raids, PCI cards and lots of stuff that professionals want. http://www.dna-vaderschapstest.be/images/LabPics/McProWExtensionChassis.jpg
I don't know about Finder tabs (time will tell), but in Safari, tabs have proven to be quite useful. However, only recently did I discover the tabbed window in XCode 4.x Not only has this feature in XCode vastly improved my productivity, but it also seems a lot faster. And nothing keeps you from opening an occasional throw-away window that you can move independently. Soooo nice.
I had a dream, where Apple would manufacture an extension chassis for the new MacPro, resembling the base of the Cray one. The cylindrical main unit would just be centered on top of this base and provide for the cooling. Room enough for loads of hard drives, PCI cards, etc.