or Connect

Posts by VanFruniken

Graphic designers hate colorful adornments to windows because they detract from the designs they are working on.
The next thing you will see is that apps for Windows will sport brownish colors (just like the best-selling Zune), a color MS already has experience with. Unfortunately, there are other things beside leather that are brown. On a more serious note, leather is also pretty common on the desktop. I have several leather gadgets lying in my closet that were given to me as Christmas presents, that I should have used on my desk: a calender stand, an agenda cover, cylindrical pen...
The processing is supposed to happen at the remote MONSTER machine, including the GPU stuff. Let's hope that the network, the VNC (or better) protocol, and the less powerful client computer can deal with speedy enough screen updates. If so, heavy duty gaming using a remote graphical login should be feasible.
Yes, Xwindow has had the feature for ages, mostly on Unix/Linux systems, but also on openVMS, Macs, etc. But there are actually 2 different behaviors. 1. The basic one is that every program can actually be started to display its windows remotely. (I wonder whether this will be possible on the Mac -- Of course, using X11 we already can do this now). 2. The higher level one is where the whole login session uses a remote screen. And there is more to it than just making the...
What will happen to the MacMini Server pricing? I see that MacMall is now offering the MacMini Server at a $50 discount, rather than $100 for the regular MacMini. Far from proportional, I would say (or it would be $125 rather than $50). Considering that MacOSX Server will be included in Lion, there won't be a further price premium for MacOSX Server over regular MacOSX. Therefore the MacMini Server's price may come down. (Expect the MacMini Server to come with a 10...
1. (Unfortunately,) there exists too much diversity in national TV-standards. And yes, even though we are talking about download TV, you couldn't expect such a TV to have no tuner at all, unless the tuner gets relegated to a settop box. This isn't going to happen. Companies such as Philips that aren't exactly trying to play the Apple game (indeed, they completely ignore Apple or at least they always seem to include Windows-specific incompatibilities in their designs)...
BUT, the decision may keep some people (e.g., in small businesses) from simplifying a complex unix network by (kicking out e.g., Sun, and) providing the server functionality from MacOSX (referring to NFS here).On the other hand, I vigorously applaud Apple's decision to provide MacOSX Server functionality for anyone, because there are many households with several Macs, and it would certainly make the greater public aware of and knowledgeable about MacOSX as a server....
Adobe's expertise as regards Flash is that they currently have a niche for (granted, short-sighted) developers. But maybe there is no need to entirely retrain all those Flash die-hards. What needs to be done is to replace the generated code under the hood with something non-Flash, such that the expertise of the Flash developers stays in place. Those Flash developers are currently dragging their feet, because they will eventually be able to propose to their clients to...
(sorry couldn't delete this post)
Yeah, but the facts remain that the browsers aren't created equal. It's the software team and the development environment that makes all the difference. So let the others prove that they can also do a decent job. Maybe the next thing you will bring up is that Safari (if made available for someone other's architecture) could well be implemented on a Turing Machine. (I know, I know, that's an exaggeration, but I hope you get the point).