or Connect

Posts by VanFruniken

They must have inadvertently hired one of the programmers who were responsible for the MS-DOS Y2K bug.
Ever wondered what such a Trojan-like botnet (as seen by the Chinese authorities) could be "useful" for?
Of course, it seems good strategy for Amazon to imply that if one already owns an iPad, buying a Kindle still makes sense. It is true that Apple needs to do something to improve search facilities both in the iTunes store and in the iBook store, but especially in the last one.
Simple. None of these statements are contradictory for those who understand that there is absolutely no demand for the device, and that Logitech is only halting production to eliminate huge stocks that remain in the sales channel.
I am not so sure what will happen toSmall / free apps that do 1 thing well but are otherwise not regularly updated Ports of open source multiplatform software. Not sure if the dev. will bring up the energy to make major revision to the open source code
Good points you made there.I would even go a little further: Instead of bringing out myriads of new printer models,why can't HP do a serious job and update the firmware of perfectly capable existing printers to include Airprint capability? HP often has been paying little attention to the maintenance of printer firmware for printers once they are out in the field. Why not concentrate on only a few models, for which you can buy upgrades in firmware(*). Imagine how much...
Name squatting does seem a problem that needs to be addressed.But how about VASTLY IMPROVING the SEARCH FACILITIES on the AppStore. 1. The search options are not the same on the iPhone, the iPad and in iTunes. That's unusual for Apple whose GUI guidelines used to ensure a similar experience in all (or most) MacOSX apps. True, the issue is somewhat complicated by the fact that certain functions are accessed differently in a "touch" paradigm (as opposed to a keyboard-mouse...
If the users that are keen on staying with Verizon, wait long enough, it is Verizon that will upgrade (and join basically all other carriers world wide) to GSM-based LTE in their upcoming G4 network, leaving CDMA behind. Then everything will fall into place and Apple won't have to deal with a standard that is mostly useless abroad. The wait for G4 won't be long as Verizon will be deploying it in 2011, starting with 20-30 major markets before the end of 2010 (cf....
Well, you know, an additional benefit of possessing an external DVD drive that comes with your most recent laptop acquisition is thatoften, on desktop Macs, the DVD drive starts failing and one has to resort to target mode on another machine (which makes it temporarily unavailable for regular work -- ask my wife), or, of course an external drive;as your 2nd, 3rd Mac gets older, it continues to work, but the DVD drive doesn't read the newer DVD formats (say Dual Layer, or...
Well, that may be indeed the case. After graduating in the US, and returning to Europe, I finally wound up teaching computer science, for which many of the textbook titles are available in softcover (and I remember well, most weren't in the US -- tightly controlled by the publishing houses). IMO, one of the reasons of making the titles available as softcover is to accommodate less affluent students abroad. Oddly enough, if I had our bookstore order some of those...