or Connect

Posts by VanFruniken

It is amazing how Steve Jobs turned around the situation so quickly. Instead of being bashed by Greenpeace, the environmental issue has quickly become a selling point for Apple. And a way to gain the public's attention on yet another occasion. @MacTripper I find your comments quite extreme as well, but when you address the Mac/M$ situation, you make a few valid points, especially when it comes to the longer lifetime of Macs, their being resold on eBay, while most...
That would truly be a GUI with underwhelming capabilities. While the front row interface is nice for simple searching with the same underlying logic as column view in the finder, it would really be lacking versaitiliy in a more fully fledged computer environment.
These displays stand too high on their feet. In addition, for physiologic reasons (height of one's eyes) they should all line up with the tops of the screens, rather than the bottoms of the screens. I, for one, spend most of my viewing near the top of the screen. The menus are there as well.
Maybe there are laws that could prevent this market to become a monopoly
Haven't succeeded to backup any of my machines using time machine. The initial backup over ethernet aborts midway, even with no activity at all on any of the computers. None of the apple forums seems to offer any solutions. I hope 10.5.5 will contain fixes to Time Machine and/or Time Capsule firmware such that reliability is drastically increased. It should be (and remain) rock solid such that there is never a need to throw away any time machine sparse images and...
Get it?
It has been clear from the beginning that Carbon wouldn't be around for ever. Further, the fact that images continue to grow and are expected to exceed 4GB, is unavoidable. Didn't Adobe see this problem coming? They could have saved a lot of time because development under Cocoa ismuch faster (because the system takes care of a lot of things behind the scenes that under Carbon need to be hard coded) much more robust As already pointed out in previous posts, they would...
I am wondering how long we have to wait till Apple rolls out real home server capability for the AEBS and TC routers.Most needed is single sign-on authentication (which means setting up the base station as an Open Directory Domain Controller should be supported).In the article it is statedThis is just too bad. The only way that I can currently see to put my home directories on an AEBS/TC is creating a password protected disk image on the base station's disk. (This by the...
I see two approaches: In addition to Applications, Documents, Home, Downloads: 1. your suggestion: define one standard stack in which all minimized windows wind up 2. my suggestion: have one stack per running application. A bit more wasteful, but quite efficient is you have many windows open in only a few apps.
We all remember that MS bought VPC in order for WinNT servers to be run in a VPC box on WinXP machines, because migration to WinXP was not as quick as expected (There probably were other reasons for buying VPC, but I won't go into that). We also remember it didn't take them much time and effort to port VPC to an intel-native (ie processor emulation-less) version. Why then will it take so long for a quite similar effort (of which part of the work is already done),...