or Connect

Posts by VanFruniken

If only Apple wouldn't fragment its iChat/FaceTime ecosystem so badly. For every version of the iPhone/iPad/iPodTouch hardware, of iOS and OSX, different considerations apply (for the user to find out !!!). Why not merge those applications and let them determine for themselves (yes, that's what computers are for), on the basis of the 2 connecting devices, which connection modes are supported: texting, sound, video. I am a power user, but these days, I don't know what to...
What AppleTV needs is CEC. Apple will never make an AppleTV that is a (physical) switchbox for all possible data sources that need to connect to your TV set. CEC is a protocol where HDMI devices are allowed to control each other. Customarily, all data sources are connected to your TV set. All the AppleTV needs to do is to use CEC to interrogate the TV's capabilities (available inputs), then tell the TV to accept input from the input you select. As soon as I operate the...
In reference to the Cray 1 picture in the article I would like to suggest Apple or third parties to manufacture an extension chassis for the MacPro, that would sit comfortably underneath and offer loads of space for Raids, PCI cards and lots of stuff that professionals want. http://www.dna-vaderschapstest.be/images/LabPics/McProWExtensionChassis.jpg
I don't know about Finder tabs (time will tell), but in Safari, tabs have proven to be quite useful. However, only recently did I discover the tabbed window in XCode 4.x Not only has this feature in XCode vastly improved my productivity, but it also seems a lot faster. And nothing keeps you from opening an occasional throw-away window that you can move independently. Soooo nice.
I had a dream, where Apple would manufacture an extension chassis for the new MacPro, resembling the base of the Cray one. The cylindrical main unit would just be centered on top of this base and provide for the cooling. Room enough for loads of hard drives, PCI cards, etc.
@Contable Odo : "...Samsung is just grabbing both consumer and media mind share from Apple at an astounding rate while Apple is doing absolutely nothing in retaliation. Sitting back and letting rivals upstage your company is never a wise thing. Apple needs to wise up quickly before it's too late." It happened before. Apple priced itself out of the IBM-compatible PC business. In the Amelio days, the low end Macs were terrible. They should have been very affordable but...
Why is nobody whining about the MacPro not even being mentioned? Has it been put off till "later" this year?
The whole controversy would not take place if Apple's AppStore search would blow everyone else away. But it doesn't. Apple's search in such a large collection of apps is fairly lame and, at times, frustrating. Moreover the review/rating section is fatally flawed for all but the largest national Apple AppStores. Indeed, you can only see the reviews and ratings in your own national Apple AppStore, rendering the ratings statistically insignificant in many cases. But most...
What is more bothersome, and not even mentioned in the name, is the myriad of provider-specific broadcast chipsets. CDMA, etc. Hopefully standards will converge, but in the mean time, producing REAL world phones, with chipsets supporting as many networks, would definitely be a sales argument wrt Samdung et al.
We may construe this as an organized attack on AAPL. But look at the bigger picture. Maybe this is only a testbed for nanosecond tradingalgorithms to see what would happen during an all-out attack on US stocks. These trading algorithms are not even called targeted viruses, like the ones that public utilities, the banking world, server farms, even the pentagon, recently have recognized as digital threats. It is time that the SEC work out some rules to prevent...