or Connect

Posts by VanFruniken

Has it occurred to anyone that Apple can deliver a major blow to Samsung by outcompeting it on its own turf?
The advent of iOS5 and the iCloud bode badly for the "IBM compatible"world. Interesting to see Apple's roadmap accelerate the demise of the Windows PC. A major milestone in this process is Apple's new iCloud paradigm that no longer uses the desktop computer as the hub of all iOS devices that you own. Indeed, by putting iOS devices and desktop computers on an equal footing, many home users will be able to phase out their desktop devices. So, in addition to Apple's...
That sounds like a lot of fragmentation. Apple's strength is thorough integration of all components, software and hardware. Where does that leave you?
Every month (or year) that the official Google release of the source code is delayed reduces the number of legacy devices (if any at all) to be supported by the manufacturers. It wouldn't surprise me a bit if those manufacturers were leaning on Google to obtain extra delays.
That's right. But you can hold the iPhone closeby and talk to it more or less privately. No need to let the aTV do that. No need for an aTV touch screen either, if the iPhone can do all the UI stuff. Moreover, a future aTV should be in full control of all the inputs (doing away with multiple remotes), so it should be able to route all video sources to the TV screen. Now how are we going to control this digital hub, which in turn needs to be able to select satellite...
It would be nice PR if it would turn out that the whole design has been carried out on Macs.
What utter BS is this?If I can run my store more efficiently by operating a hi-tech cash register, rather than using an abacus, low and behold, the cash register may pay for itself.What if my hugely lower operating costs allow me to offer lower prices?Is this unlawful competition?My take is this: it would be an upside down world if eBooks would cause book prices to rise.We buy the information either in digital form with minimal distribution costs, or we pay for the...
Indeed, Apple's review system is fundamentally flawed for international users, in that the reviews and the rating are taken from the user's LOCAL app store. This is detrimental to the significance of the rating statistics (MUCH smaller samples) and filters out many reviews that otherwise may be relevant. Indeed, it seldomly happens that an app has merely local relevance. I can understand that some users have little command of the English language, so some OPTIONAL amount...
Apple has championed the iPhone experience not being smudged by apps installed by the carriers. With ONE EXCEPTION, namely the tethering configuration in System Preferences. It should be noted that the tethering restriction is carrier dependent. It just plainly doesn't exist in many countries.
... given that all recent macs and any other computers(*) that might include Thunderbolt can be connected to a single connector, waiting to be inserted into *any* portable. As far as versatiliy goes, the physical matching requirements for a single connector are far less stringent than (and hence superior to) those of a physically matching dock (maybe a perfect fit to just 1 laptop or mobile device).(*)Great opportunity for the "others", but are there more compelling...