or Connect

Posts by G_Warren

Any word on upgrades? I bought v9 from the Mac App Store last month, as I didn't expect a significant update so quickly after the July release. I'll be disappointed if support (including bug fixe releases) for v9 doesn't happen now that v10 is released.
You might want to check the difference between England/Britain/United Kingdom/Commonwealth. The terms are not interchangeable. Knighthoods can be given to Commonwealth citizens, but as the original article (Telegraph) points out, a sort of honorary knighthood can be granted to citizens of other countries.
No need for the Whilst I am aware that the pound has dropped in value recently, it hasn't dropped by the level Apple are suggesting, and there is clear profiteering here. Or not as the case may be, since I haven't heard anyone in the UK say they are rushing out to buy a new MacBook. If we say that current exchange rate is around £1 = $1.7 (I'm being generous - it is currently around $1.75), the $1299 MacBook would be £764 plus VAT, ie £897.70. That's a decent chunk...
Not really a great time to draw comparisons since the iMac and Mac Pro are both towards the end of their life cycle. I have an Aug 07 2.0 GHz iMac and is it plenty fast enough for the light photo editing and programming that I do. For the price I paid, and with a built in 20" screen and rock solid aluminium construction, it is a decent deal. This debate on Apple pricing has been had a million times, but the iMac is an example of a product with a slight Apple tax...
Having thought about, I think my key gripe is that yesterday a $1299 MacBook cost £829 in the UK. Today, a $1299 MacBook costs £949 in the UK. I was all set to purchase a system for £829 when the updates came around, but I'll definitely be keeping my cash in the bank until Apple realises that no Brit is going to shell out that sort of money for a laptop with these specs. I wouldn't be at all surprised if the UK prices are dropped at Rev. B time. Sure Apple dropped...
So it seems Apple have just screwed over UK users. Yesterday I could have bought a MacBook with 160Gb drive and 2GB RAM for £829. Now it is £949 for the same RAM and hard disk just because it is aluminium? Forget it. The based model which was £699 (and supposed to be dropped by $100) has gone UP in price to £719. The MacBook Pro and MacBook Air have also gone up by £100. At these prices, Apple is going to sell bugger all in the UK. I had the credit card standing...
London only? Is the rest of the UK not getting them?! Actually in the UK you can order from the apple website as soon as they are on the US site. Shipping may be a couple of days behinds the first US shipments.
Looks like the ports are a similar to the current MacBook, with the magsafe just out of shot. The logo beside the smallest shot looks like a display logo though. Mini-DVI? This suggests that this is either a 15" MacBook or a 13.3" MacBook with the keyboard shrunken slightly to give room for speakers. The latter would be brilliant. A third option is that it is a 15" Pro, with the left ports like MacBook ports to allow a similar design to be used for cost saving purposes....
A number of people have complained about these handouts to the rich. However, bear in mind that since they don't really occur until 2012, if an Exec really underperforms in the next four years, he'll be kicked out and receive nothing. Sounds like a sensible deal to me. It also underlines to the market that Apple execs are sufficiently comfortable with the company's future performance to think it is a good idea to enter into these options now. No-one seems to have...
I think you've misunderstood the article. Apps are no longer sent to the front page when updated, so this will actually cut down on pointless 0.0.1 updates every other day. Since apps notify you when an update is available, this should work well on the app store, although obviously shouldn't be replicated in other software list, eg Apple's OS X application web pages. The only catch is for the poor developer who makes a rubbish v1.0 followed by a brilliant v2.0 and doesn't...