or Connect

Posts by philgar

First, if you bought a high school senior an iPad, and they have no laptop for when they start college, you clearly have your priorities WAY off, as an ipad is mostly a toy, and not geared for any real work.  A laptop can help you do school work, while an ipad will allow you to visit web pages, read ebooks, rattle off short emails, play games, watch movies, check facebook, etc (and you can only guess which of these tasks a college student is going to do the most). As for...
I'm sure Apple would decide that they wouldn't innovate at all if they lose this battle... I mean it's not like they haven't made a few hundred billion off iphone sales so far . . .    Phil
And, you know what would happen if Apple tried this (and it didn't get thrown out for Apple's employee's basic human rights?  At first, likely not much, but as employees try to leave apple and get stopped, it would be a HUGE red flag to any potential talent that might otherwise want to work for Apple.  As a computer engineer, I would refuse to work for any company that said I could never work in the field. If they did that, I'd have no recourse about what to do if the...
ah yes, apple is more secure because of the whole Security through obscurity tactics...  All The best security researchers agree that security through obscurity/closed platforms is superior.  I mean, it's not like their implementation of SSL was broken for a couple of years or anything... Phil
The comparison of apple's iphone to Ferrari is extremely old and just plain doesn't work.  Sure both are "premium" brands, but nowhere near to the same extent... First, apple's phones are expensive, 2-3x as expensive as a typical android phone.  A new Ferrari is ~10x as expensive as a normal car (assuming most cars are $20k-$30k).  More importantly, one must consider market share (isn't this what brought your comparison on?).  Ferrari sells about 7300 cars in a year......
did you miss the whole part where I mentioned in app purchases?  The apps aren't making money on the initial download of the app, but when the user is buying smurfberrys.  Also, I put out numbers straight from the iOS app store.  Maybe it's a fluke that right now all the top grossing apps are "free", but I seriously doubt that that just happens to be the case every time I look at the store. Phil
  Lets see, go to the iOS app store and look at the Top Grossing apps.  Under this list, you'll see pages of "free" apps.  It's not until number 19 that there's a single "paid" app on the list.  In the top 100 there are a total of 6 applications that aren't "free"... I could continue on from there, but it's pretty clear that most of the money is made using freemium apps (it's possible that ads make up a non-insignificant chunk of revenues, but that seems highly unlikely)....
Lets be honest here... Most of the money isn't made selling apps, nor is it made selling ads.  The money today is in selling in app purchases, and suckering people to pay money to avoid doing stupid repetitive tasks in games....  So what this article is saying is that Apple users are far more likely to waste money on smurfberrys.  From a business point of view, it's brilliant.  From a user standpoint it speaks volumes and doesn't exactly put apple users in a positive...
You say this, but lots of people don't end up selling their old phones.  Many old phones are simply sitting in drawers, or more commonly, people update their phones because their old stopped working.  You can claim that apple's phones are more reliable than android, and it might be true (probably is), but when your phone goes for a swim, or you drop the phone and the screen cracks, reliability doesn't come into the question.   Many people buying new phones can't rely on...
I'm amazed no one has mentioned this, but Google Music does not have to cost money.  They give you FREE cloud space for up to ~20,000 songs that you can stream to the web, or the google music client.  I've been using google music for 6 months or so now, and absolutely love it.  I have my 1000 or CDs that I owned uploaded, and it works pretty flawlessly.  It's a far better deal to me than paying apple $29.99 or whatever for a year to hold only a few gigs of my...